Singapore Expats

Forum Upgraded!

Announcements, promotions, news, help. Ask about registrations, avatars, PM and others. Post all your forum and Singapore Expats site related questions here.
Pal
Site Admin
Site Admin
Answers: 1

Re: Forum Upgraded!

Post by Pal » Thu, 06 Nov 2014 12:05 am

curiousgeorge wrote:
Pal wrote: Otherwise you should consider using Chrome. Much faster than IE or Firefox.
Now, firstly I am not really fond of devs who blame browsers. Appreciate the mistake was all mine, but the world's second largest broswer can't be ignored if that is where the fault lies.

Secondly, in the latest iterations of Chrome and IE, by some benchmarks (Sunspider) Chrome is slower than IE. You can find any benchmark to prove any point, but sweeping statements like "its faster" I find to be a matter of perception mostly.

Thirdly, Chrome doesn't allow me to pin websites to my taskbar, and browse to different sections of those sites directly without opening a browser. Yeah, really you can. Try pinning facebook to your taskbar and right-click. See!

Fourthly, the continuous-browsing experience from my laptop to my surface to my windows phone is seamless. I can pick up from my post on here from my laptop at home and continue posting on my phone in the taxi on the way to work - the same tabs are available to me on all my windows devices. Yeah yeah, they say Chrome does that but I haven't even seen chrome for windows phone yet so, no. It doesn't do that at all.

Fifthly, you want me to use a browser by the single biggest data-mining company in the world with some of the most ambiguous and dodgy privacy policies? Just to go on your site? Nah, thanks for the offer.

Sixthly - if any site author/dev wants to specify the browser I am permitted to use they can fcuk right off. That is tantamount to living in 1996 and saying "Best viewed in Netscape Navigator 800x600". Actually, its *exactly* the same and is considered to be equally poor development technique if a site isn't compatible with THE SECOND MOST POPULAR BROWER IN THE WORLD.

So yeah glad it was my mistake with the cookies, otherwise your comment about using Chrone would have pissed me off.
Cool it! I am a Windows / Surface / IE / Chrome / Firefox user too!
Singapore Expats

Home | Classifieds | Condo | Forum | Property

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 06 Nov 2014 7:47 am

Pal wrote:
curiousgeorge wrote:
Pal wrote: Otherwise you should consider using Chrome. Much faster than IE or Firefox.
Cool it! I am a Windows / Surface / IE / Chrome / Firefox user too!
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 06 Nov 2014 8:56 am

Wow, poor Pal, I didn't realise sixthly was a word.

'adverb
6. in the sixth place; sixthly.'

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/sixthly?s=t

Will have to try and remember that one for Scrabble.
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 06 Nov 2014 11:12 am

@Pal, @joop

I just saw the sticky about advertising. I guess it's time to update the screenshots to reflect the new forum?

Pal
Site Admin
Site Admin
Answers: 1

Post by Pal » Thu, 06 Nov 2014 11:15 am

I thought we have updated the screenshot? Will check.
Singapore Expats

Home | Classifieds | Condo | Forum | Property

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 06 Nov 2014 2:32 pm

curiousgeorge wrote:
Now, firstly I am not really fond of devs who blame browsers. Appreciate the mistake was all mine, but the world's second largest broswer can't be ignored if that is where the fault lies.

Secondly, in the latest iterations of Chrome and IE, by some benchmarks (Sunspider) Chrome is slower than IE. You can find any benchmark to prove any point, but sweeping statements like "its faster" I find to be a matter of perception mostly.

Thirdly, Chrome doesn't allow me to pin websites to my taskbar, and browse to different sections of those sites directly without opening a browser. Yeah, really you can. Try pinning facebook to your taskbar and right-click. See!

Fourthly, the continuous-browsing experience from my laptop to my surface to my windows phone is seamless. I can pick up from my post on here from my laptop at home and continue posting on my phone in the taxi on the way to work - the same tabs are available to me on all my windows devices. Yeah yeah, they say Chrome does that but I haven't even seen chrome for windows phone yet so, no. It doesn't do that at all.

Fifthly, you want me to use a browser by the single biggest data-mining company in the world with some of the most ambiguous and dodgy privacy policies? Just to go on your site? Nah, thanks for the offer.

Sixthly - if any site author/dev wants to specify the browser I am permitted to use they can fcuk right off. That is tantamount to living in 1996 and saying "Best viewed in Netscape Navigator 800x600". Actually, its *exactly* the same and is considered to be equally poor development technique if a site isn't compatible with THE SECOND MOST POPULAR BROWER IN THE WORLD.

So yeah glad it was my mistake with the cookies, otherwise your comment about using Chrone would have pissed me off.
Wow, so you're that guy in all of the iOS vs Android or Chrome vs Firefox fanboi flame threads I see getting angrier than everyone else and screaming(typing) "HEY GUYS! DONT FORGET ABOUT WINMO, WE'RE HERE TOO!" :cool:

Is IE still really second most popular? I'll check tomorrow.

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Thu, 06 Nov 2014 7:45 pm

Why are there instances of this thread in every subforum? Wouldn't it make sense to have one on this? I would expect you could hyperlink all of them to redirect to the same place.
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape.

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Thu, 06 Nov 2014 7:49 pm

Brah wrote:Why are there instances of this thread in every subforum? Wouldn't it make sense to have one on this? I would expect you could hyperlink all of them to redirect to the same place.
It seems it is, I was checking the comments in this and zzm's "...stupid..." thread separately.
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape.

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Thu, 06 Nov 2014 7:53 pm

At this moment, in the Relocating, Moving to Singapore subforum, WD40s posts shows on the landing page as the latest post, but there are two that are more recent.

Another cookie issue?
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 06 Nov 2014 8:04 pm

If you noticed, the Thread Header on the index page does say "Global Announcement". :wink:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 06 Nov 2014 10:33 pm

Brah wrote:
Brah wrote:Why are there instances of this thread in every subforum? Wouldn't it make sense to have one on this? I would expect you could hyperlink all of them to redirect to the same place.
It seems it is, I was checking the comments in this and zzm's "...stupid..." thread separately.
Actually I started that thread separately before these forum upgrades. It was related to something else that they did but coincidentally the upgrade happened a day or 2 later and the thread was hijacked.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 07 Nov 2014 12:44 am

zzm9980 wrote:
For a very well-known OS/Browser agnostic site, in the past 30 days IE is deep into third place. This is site that would be discouraged at work in some locations, probably the same ones that force IE on you, but that would probably only account for +/- a few %.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Fri, 07 Nov 2014 1:48 am

zzm9980 wrote:Wow, so you're that guy in all of the iOS vs Android or Chrome vs Firefox fanboi flame threads I see getting angrier than everyone else and screaming(typing) "HEY GUYS! DONT FORGET ABOUT WINMO, WE'RE HERE TOO!" :cool:

actually I'm that guy
:mrgreen:
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 07 Nov 2014 5:51 am

rajagainstthemachine wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:Wow, so you're that guy in all of the iOS vs Android or Chrome vs Firefox fanboi flame threads I see getting angrier than everyone else and screaming(typing) "HEY GUYS! DONT FORGET ABOUT WINMO, WE'RE HERE TOO!" :cool:

actually I'm that guy
:mrgreen:
As long as you're not that guy.

Fortan
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Fortan » Fri, 07 Nov 2014 1:27 pm

I used to love the old forum. I find the new version hard to navigate around. I used to love the 'new replies' link at the top. Would give me a really fast overview of what had happened since I was last in. Can we get something similar again?

EDIT: Apologies.... found it myself :-"