Singapore Expats

Forum Upgraded!

Announcements, promotions, news, help. Ask about registrations, avatars, PM and others. Post all your forum and Singapore Expats site related questions here.
Brah
Manager
Manager

Re: Forum Upgraded!

Post by Brah » Fri, 07 Nov 2014 9:21 pm

Fortan wrote:I used to love the old forum. I find the new version hard to navigate around. I used to love the 'new replies' link at the top. Would give me a really fast overview of what had happened since I was last in. Can we get something similar again?

EDIT: Apologies.... found it myself :-"
Well, I notice some things are only available if you're logged in:
View active topics
View new posts
View unanswered posts
View unread posts

If you're not:
View active topics
View unanswered posts

In either case "View active topics" only lists this forum.

I'd prefer a list of the latest posts when I'm not logged in, or maybe I just haven't found it.
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 07 Nov 2014 9:32 pm

I think this crosses over with an earlier observation of mine. The tab has four drop-down options from it, but it's not clear what is what. One option seemed to have a post (just one) from WD40 from about 2 weeks ago. Another was solely threads with 100?+ posts about where to get buttock enhancement etc, as if one might seek to only read topics with 100+ posts (rather than avoid them).

The one-click option to see all topics active since last visit seems to have gone. Maybe. The four new overlapping options now make it rather difficult to figure out. I still don't really know if I get to scan everything that is of potential interest.
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 07 Nov 2014 10:47 pm

JR8 wrote:I think this crosses over with an earlier observation of mine. The tab has four drop-down options from it, but it's not clear what is what. One option seemed to have a post (just one) from WD40 from about 2 weeks ago. Another was solely threads with 100?+ posts about where to get buttock enhancement etc, as if one might seek to only read topics with 100+ posts (rather than avoid them).

The one-click option to see all topics active since last visit seems to have gone. Maybe. The four new overlapping options now make it rather difficult to figure out. I still don't really know if I get to scan everything that is of potential interest.
That option is still there I think it is called "view unread". It's the best of those options, as long as you're willing to read everything you're interested in during that visit.

"View unanswered" it's probably the one you saw from WD-40. I believe that is one where somebody quoted you and you never quoted them back.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 07 Nov 2014 10:57 pm

zzm9980 wrote: "View unanswered" it's probably the one you saw from WD-40. I believe that is one where somebody quoted you and you never quoted them back.
Thx, will try to take that on board (despite the Bonco-pills) :lol:

p.s. Might have to go and post some Motorhead or Grinderman now ;;;

Pal
Site Admin
Site Admin
Answers: 1

Post by Pal » Sun, 09 Nov 2014 2:11 am

Users of Internet Explorer 8 and below will now be defaulted to the original "prosilver" style.

Read this:
http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/viewtopic.php?t=104307
Singapore Expats

Home | Classifieds | Condo | Forum | Property

Pal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Pal » Sun, 09 Nov 2014 2:12 am

Users who dislike the default "Charon" style because of it's font / color / spacing or are having compatibility problem with their browser can now choose to change their template style at the User Control Panel.

Read this:
http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/viewtopic.php?t=104308
Singapore Expats

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Wed, 12 Nov 2014 10:47 am

Hi Pal, just a question. I noticed that I've been receiving emails on topic reply notifications. Before the upgrade I remember having the settings tweaked so that I did't have to receive notification emails on topic replies (I usually have them on for PMs).

Right now, I want to make a blanket 'no' for all threads I'm in but I can't seem to find this setting. Could you please point me to the right direction?

Pal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Pal » Wed, 12 Nov 2014 11:14 am

Hi lynx, you can click your username on the top right beside the message icon then select User Control Panel. Go to Board Preference and turn off Notify me on replies.
Singapore Expats

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Wed, 12 Nov 2014 11:28 am

Pal wrote:Hi lynx, you can click your username on the top right beside the message icon then select User Control Panel. Go to Board Preference and turn off Notify me on replies.
Awesome. Thanks!

Pal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Pal » Wed, 12 Nov 2014 11:29 am

Found it?
Singapore Expats

the lynx
Governor
Governor

Post by the lynx » Wed, 12 Nov 2014 11:41 am

Pal wrote:Found it?
Yup. For strange reasons, I kept finding "Notify me on private messages" before I asked here so it was a little frustrating, until it turned out it was under a different tab anyway...

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Wed, 12 Nov 2014 9:32 pm

the lynx wrote:
Pal wrote:Found it?
Yup. For strange reasons, I kept finding "Notify me on private messages" before I asked here so it was a little frustrating, until it turned out it was under a different tab anyway...
i thought i was the only one getting those emails... and had some trouble finding out how to turn them off until i checked in here.

like lynx i couldn't find it without some difficulty.

click on your user name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Board Preferences (horizontal tab), then Edit Posting Defaults (vertical tab). it's the last option (out of 4), turn it off - remember to Submit.

remember to delete your "subscribed topics" or you'll still keep getting notified. User control panel -> Overview -> Manage subscriptions.

finally!
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 13 Nov 2014 8:19 am

What is the 'value add' of listing/naming which forum members are currently online?

[My wife will be calling shortly to ask why I'm on here and not doing the laundry :)]

Pal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Pal » Thu, 13 Nov 2014 8:32 am

JR8 wrote:What is the 'value add' of listing/naming which forum members are currently online?

[My wife will be calling shortly to ask why I'm on here and not doing the laundry :)]
It was always there since the old version.

Go to User Control Panel, Board Preference, tick "Hide my online status" :cool:
Singapore Expats

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 13 Nov 2014 9:31 am

Got it, TVM.