Singapore Expats Forum

Small & Medium Firms Looking At Restructuring Their Business

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

footneckle
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat, 01 Nov 2014

Small & Medium Firms Looking At Restructuring Their Busi

Postby footneckle » Sat, 01 Nov 2014 1:07 pm

Singapore is not a good place for startups or SMEs anymore?

According to the latest SME Development Survey, 51 small and medium enterprises (SMEs) in Singapore say their main business strategy is to rethink their business model due to rising cost pressures.
Some major challenges faced by SMEs in 2014 are:
difficulty in hiring staff: 49%
high manpower costs: 48%
increasing competition: 45%
high rental costs: 31%
uncertain global economic environment: 23%
high material costs: 19%
difficulty in retaining staff: 17%
http://www.enterpriseone.gov.sg/en/News ... urvey.aspx

footneckle
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat, 01 Nov 2014

Postby footneckle » Sat, 01 Nov 2014 1:37 pm

It's getting harder and harder for local companies to hire foreign talents.

http://www.humanresourcesonline.net/loc ... -rises-73/
Local employment rises in Singapore, amid lower productivity

Foreign workforce now makes up 27% of employment gains, compared to 39% last year.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34341
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 01 Nov 2014 2:46 pm

What happened? You just woke up this morning? :roll: Real stroke of brilliance, you are. NOT

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3797
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012
Location: SIndiapore

Re:

Postby Wd40 » Sun, 02 Nov 2014 1:52 am

footneckle wrote:It's getting harder and harder for local companies to hire foreign talents.

http://www.humanresourcesonline.net/loc ... -rises-73/
Local employment rises in Singapore, amid lower productivity

Foreign workforce now makes up 27% of employment gains, compared to 39% last year.


Plural of talent is talent.

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6837
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Re: Re:

Postby zzm9980 » Mon, 03 Nov 2014 11:07 am

Wd40 wrote:Plural of talent is talent.


Actually, talent can be pluralized either way:
  • Wd40 has a lot of talent for things such as sticking his foot in his mouth.
  • One of Wd40's many talents is to stick his foot in his mouth.

Irregardless* of colloquial usage, a person is never a talent. Grammar rules don't apply.

*- Yes pun intended.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34341
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Re: Re:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 03 Nov 2014 1:56 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
Wd40 wrote:Plural of talent is talent.


Actually, talent can be pluralized either way:
  • Wd40 has a lot of talent for things such as sticking his foot in his mouth.
  • One of Wd40's many talents is to stick his foot in his mouth.

Irregardless* of colloquial usage, a person is never a talent. Grammar rules don't apply.

*- Yes pun intended.


Unless you work for MediaCorp. All their actresses & actors are called talents, when in fact they should, for the most part, be called talent-less.

RoastBeefBaron
Member
Member
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun, 31 Mar 2013
Location: Singapore

Re: Re:

Postby RoastBeefBaron » Sun, 16 Nov 2014 10:31 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:
Wd40 wrote:Plural of talent is talent.


Actually, talent can be pluralized either way:
  • Wd40 has a lot of talent for things such as sticking his foot in his mouth.
  • One of Wd40's many talents is to stick his foot in his mouth.

Irregardless* of colloquial usage, a person is never a talent. Grammar rules don't apply.

*- Yes pun intended.


Unless you work for MediaCorp. All their actresses & actors are called talents, when in fact they should, for the most part, be called talent-less.


Anything is better than the cringe-worthy artiste.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Careers & Jobs in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests