Singapore Expats

Software change by Admin. Please revert this.

Announcements, promotions, news, help. Ask about registrations, avatars, PM and others. Post all your forum and Singapore Expats site related questions here.
nakatago

Re: Stupid software change by Admin. Please revert this.

Post by nakatago » Mon, 03 Nov 2014 11:34 am

JR8 wrote:
Wd40 wrote:My exact thought when I first saw it yesterday night, the layout is too spread out.
Yes I thought that too. I'm on a 27" (?) monitor and yet have had to adjust my browser window magnification down to 20% (!) to comfortably get an average post on a single window (I usually have a few say 10*15" windows open at a time). And toggle between them , work > play > work > play lol... :cool:
I agree with this; default spacing and font size are too big, in my opinion.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

Pal
Site Admin
Site Admin
Answers: 1

Re: Software change by Admin. Please revert this.

Post by Pal » Mon, 03 Nov 2014 11:35 am

Sergei82 wrote:When I try browsing the forum in Chrome, I get logged out each time I click any internal forum link. In Firefox it is working though.
Did you clear the Chrome cookies?
Singapore Expats

Home | Classifieds | Condo | Forum | Property

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 03 Nov 2014 12:22 pm

I also have a problem with the spaced out display. But am seeing how it fares as a little time goes by. What I'd like to do is have the ability to change the colour formatting. as I find the contrast between the frames and backgrounds too much of a sameness. Is there an ability to change this to one's personal tastes or at least one or two different colour schemes?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Mon, 03 Nov 2014 12:27 pm

Pal wrote:
ScoobyDoes wrote:It used to be possible to hover your mouse over the thread topic on the main menu to get the first line of the post. That seems to be gone and now the only way to get an idea of what's actually inside is to open up the thread.
Installed! Try it out!

Got it, better.

Will either take me a long time to get used to it, but it's harder also to see the threads I've posted in as the colours just don't stand out anymore, or the symbols are too small.

The format is a bit too Blue/White and whilst "modern" is harder to read. I certainly can't use the board on my WindowsPhone because it's a bit slow and the Menus take up so much of the initial screen.....in fact, all of it. And there is no clear demarcation between Sticky and Current Topics.
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 03 Nov 2014 1:37 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I also have a problem with the spaced out display. But am seeing how it fares as a little time goes by. What I'd like to do is have the ability to change the colour formatting. as I find the contrast between the frames and backgrounds too much of a sameness. Is there an ability to change this to one's personal tastes or at least one or two different colour schemes?
Agreed. The vast amounts of space are made worse by the minimal contrast between elements.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 03 Nov 2014 1:44 pm

Gaaah - it's like Windows 8 all over again.

I'll come back in a few months and see if it has improved.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Pal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Pal » Mon, 03 Nov 2014 4:17 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I also have a problem with the spaced out display. But am seeing how it fares as a little time goes by. What I'd like to do is have the ability to change the colour formatting. as I find the contrast between the frames and backgrounds too much of a sameness. Is there an ability to change this to one's personal tastes or at least one or two different colour schemes?
I have darken the borders color. Is it better now?
Singapore Expats

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 03 Nov 2014 7:55 pm

It's better, but the frames do not really darken much until you actually click into the frame. Would be a lot better if the browsing borders of the frames were just a tad darker, although they seem to be better now (a tiny bit as I can actually see the the colour difference, whereas I couldn't even see that before). Can't tell if it's your tweak or the difference between my screens as now I'm at home logged in but it seems to be better.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 03 Nov 2014 9:08 pm

Ok, this is my hate list after the 2nd day:

1. The mouse-over drop-down menu (Home About|Singapore|...). It opens up and hides half of the screen every time I have this misfortune of running mouse over it - can this be done with a delay of 500ms or so?

2. The stickies hardly distinguishable from the other threads / newer topic. A HR or some other separator would be useful.

3. The spread out layout - still annoying, especially when combined with a long list of the stickies

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 03 Nov 2014 11:40 pm

x9200 wrote:Ok, this is my hate list after the 2nd day:

1. The mouse-over drop-down menu (Home About|Singapore|...). It opens up and hides half of the screen every time I have this misfortune of running mouse over it - can this be done with a delay of 500ms or so?
^ +10000

Pal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Pal » Tue, 04 Nov 2014 1:15 am

2. The stickies hardly distinguishable from the other threads / newer topic. A HR or some other separator would be useful.

3. The spread out layout - still annoying, especially when combined with a long list of the stickies
1. Trying very hard, somehow adding a delay does not affect the behaviour of the hover! But I managed to shrink the menu a lot. Will keep trying.

2. The stickies icon files have been changed in the afternoon. Stickies have a blue pin inside and Announcement has a orange bell (be it read or unread). Refresh your browser and see if it helps.

3. Since the upgrade, I had changed hundreds of css lines to shrink the spacing. Will continue to work on the layout spacing.

Nevertheless, in the next few days I will enable the default vanilla template from phpBB3. Thereafter, users can choose the style they prefer in the User Control Panel.
Singapore Expats

Pal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Pal » Tue, 04 Nov 2014 1:17 am

zzm9980 wrote:

^ +10000
Be patient, I am trying [-o<
Singapore Expats

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 04 Nov 2014 6:47 am

Pal wrote:

1. Trying very hard, somehow adding a delay does not affect the behaviour of the hover! But I managed to shrink the menu a lot. Will keep trying.
If this is based on jquery there is a nice script/extension allowing good control of it. It's called hoverIntent. Not sure if this help.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 04 Nov 2014 9:13 am

Here's a simple suggestion for a tweak. For example Pal, your profile in a post includes...

'Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2003 2:44 am'

Believe it or not the 'am' wraps into a new line, and such granularity of data is not needed. Since a lot of posts are not long enough to extend down to this Joined line, it is adding a lot of unnecessary blank lines/space within many topics.

p.s. I see that in mine it wraps '12.43pm', but really the day (in text) and time (Hrs/Mins) are simply not relevant IMO.
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

Pal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Pal » Tue, 04 Nov 2014 9:42 am

JR8 wrote:Here's a simple suggestion for a tweak. For example Pal, your profile in a post includes...

'Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2003 2:44 am'

Believe it or not the 'am' wraps into a new line, and such granularity of data is not needed. Since a lot of posts are not long enough to extend down to this Joined line, it is adding a lot of unnecessary blank lines/space within many topics.

p.s. I see that in mine it wraps '12.43pm', but really the day (in text) and time (Hrs/Mins) are simply not relevant IMO.
Was going to get to that too.

Done!
Singapore Expats