Singapore Expats

Software change by Admin. Please revert this.

Announcements, promotions, news, help. Ask about registrations, avatars, PM and others. Post all your forum and Singapore Expats site related questions here.
Pal
Site Admin
Site Admin
Answers: 1

Re: Software change by Admin. Please revert this.

Post by Pal » Tue, 04 Nov 2014 9:44 am

x9200 wrote:
Pal wrote:
x9200 wrote:Ok, this is my hate list after the 2nd day:

1. The mouse-over drop-down menu (Home About|Singapore|...). It opens up and hides half of the screen every time I have this misfortune of running mouse over it - can this be done with a delay of 500ms or so?
1. Trying very hard, somehow adding a delay does not affect the behaviour of the hover! But I managed to shrink the menu a lot. Will keep trying.
If this is based on jquery there is a nice script/extension allowing good control of it. It's called hoverIntent. Not sure if this help.
It is not based on that but I think I fixed it! Can you try the delay now?

How are the Stickies icons now?
Singapore Expats

Home | Classifieds | Condo | Forum | Property

Pal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Stupid software change by Admin. Please revert this.

Post by Pal » Tue, 04 Nov 2014 9:46 am

ScoobyDoes wrote:
Pal wrote:
ScoobyDoes wrote:It used to be possible to hover your mouse over the thread topic on the main menu to get the first line of the post. That seems to be gone and now the only way to get an idea of what's actually inside is to open up the thread.
Installed! Try it out!

Got it, better.

Will either take me a long time to get used to it, but it's harder also to see the threads I've posted in as the colours just don't stand out anymore, or the symbols are too small.

The format is a bit too Blue/White and whilst "modern" is harder to read. I certainly can't use the board on my WindowsPhone because it's a bit slow and the Menus take up so much of the initial screen.....in fact, all of it. And there is no clear demarcation between Sticky and Current Topics.
I have fixed the menus, borders and the Sticky icons. How is it?
Singapore Expats

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 04 Nov 2014 9:48 am

I seem to be getting something that wasn't happening earlier via my default Opera browser.

If I click on the View Posts button (at the top, in the horizontal bar) it gives a drop down list of four options. But before I can get to the list (when I head that way with my mouse-pointer) the list immediately disappears. It thus appears to make it impossible to complete any 'view posts' request [Edit: I've subsequently just noticed the additional View Posts box and links to the side...]

p.s. glad the date-stamp/wrap is fixed! Yep, it looks far neater now :)

----------------
Another thing I've just noticed [sorry!].
When I am ready to post a reply that I've written, I scroll down and the 'attach a signature' box is ticked by default (but I don't have a signature). I do however usually 'Follow/Notify me' topics in which I have participated.
------------------

The 'At least one new post has been made to this topic. You may wish to review your post in light of this.' alert is useful, if a little confusing the first time you see it.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 04 Nov 2014 10:04 am

Is it still sending out e-mail notifications re: new posts. I don't seem to be receiving any... [despite having 'active topics']

The drop-down options on 'Report a post' make it far simpler to do (I used to write these as manual PMs to whichever Mod I suspected was currently online)
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

Pal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Pal » Tue, 04 Nov 2014 10:32 am

If I click on the View Posts button (at the top, in the horizontal bar) it gives a drop down list of four options. But before I can get to the list (when I head that way with my mouse-pointer) the list immediately disappears. It thus appears to make it impossible to complete any 'view posts' request [Edit: I've subsequently just noticed the additional View Posts box and links to the side...]
> I am still trying to fix all the drop downs! Adding the delay apparently causes that glitch. So now I have to remove the delay and work on it again!

Another thing I've just noticed [sorry!].
When I am ready to post a reply that I've written, I scroll down and the 'attach a signature' box is ticked by default (but I don't have a signature).
> Think this is default

I do however usually 'Follow/Notify me' topics in which I have participated.
> I have enabled it for you. It is inside your "User Control Panel", click "Board Preference" on the tab above, then select "Edit posting defaults" on the left. Tick "Notify me upon replies by default".

To go the the "User Control Panel", go to the down drop list of your username.
Singapore Expats

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 04 Nov 2014 10:34 am

JR8 wrote:The drop-down options on 'Report a post' make it far simpler to do (I used to write these as manual PMs to whichever Mod I suspected was currently online)

Saw that. Really handy, instead of us having to manually trawl posts to catch spammers.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

Pal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Pal » Tue, 04 Nov 2014 10:45 am

JR8 wrote:The drop-down options on 'Report a post' make it far simpler to do (I used to write these as manual PMs to whichever Mod I suspected was currently online)
Just saw your reports, there is a red icon beside it. Cool.

The Furniture Rental thread is posted by us for our advertiser.

Not too sure what's wrong about the other report though. Cos the link on the user's signature?
Singapore Expats

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 04 Nov 2014 10:51 am

Oops, if it's a paid ad maybe there's a way it can be clearly accredited. Either way I read it and thought it to be spam.

The other guy, two lifetime posts, made up of two completely pointless/inane posts, which are clearly done solely to insert the link in his tag-line into this forum (i.e. search engine spamming). Same with the fools who post 5 posts of nonsense solely to activate the PM function.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 04 Nov 2014 10:54 am

Pal wrote:
Just saw your reports, there is a red icon beside it. Cool.

The Furniture Rental thread is posted by us for our advertiser.

Not too sure what's wrong about the other report though. Cos the link on the user's signature?
Behavioral. Some spammers from known foreign IPs would post one-liners just to get their post counts up and the signature just makes it even more suspicious. Anyway, a warning has been issued.

@JR8: the replier, not the original post.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 04 Nov 2014 11:06 am

Pal wrote:How are the Stickies icons now?
When I click the first one...

Are the 'Last Posts' in alphabetical topic title order, rather than chronological order?

p.s. I'm now (all of a sudden) getting e-mail notifications re: new messages in 'active topics' again.
Noted re: the 'Notify me' change, thanks!

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 04 Nov 2014 11:23 am

Pal wrote:
x9200 wrote:
Pal wrote:1. Trying very hard, somehow adding a delay does not affect the behaviour of the hover! But I managed to shrink the menu a lot. Will keep trying.
If this is based on jquery there is a nice script/extension allowing good control of it. It's called hoverIntent. Not sure if this help.
It is not based on that but I think I fixed it! Can you try the delay now?

How are the Stickies icons now?
Unfortunately I don't see any difference.

For the stickies, well, not sure about the other users, but if this is not possible to have a separate section (i.e. different section background) then I would prefer to have the icons a bit more sticking out from the crowd, for example:
sticky_read.png

Pal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Pal » Tue, 04 Nov 2014 11:37 am

x9200 wrote:Unfortunately I don't see any difference.

For the stickies, well, not sure about the other users, but if this is not possible to have a separate section (i.e. different section background) then I would prefer to have the icons a bit more sticking out from the crowd, for example:
sticky_read.png
I am still working on the drop down menu delay.

Stickies icon changed again! Take a look at http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/viewforum.php?f=13, click refresh.
Singapore Expats

Pal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Pal » Tue, 04 Nov 2014 11:42 am

JR8 wrote:Are the 'Last Posts' in alphabetical topic title order, rather than chronological order?
No, it is in chronological order.

What you see in your screenshot the "Aesthetic Enhancement ..." are the sub forums of "Beauty, Health & Fitness".

Forums and Sub-forums are listed in alphabetical whereas Topics and Posts are listed in chronological order.
Singapore Expats

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 04 Nov 2014 11:57 am

Pal wrote: What you see in your screenshot the "Aesthetic Enhancement ..." are the sub forums of "Beauty, Health & Fitness".
Forums and Sub-forums are listed in alphabetical whereas Topics and Posts are listed in chronological order.
Yep got it, sorry duh!

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Wed, 05 Nov 2014 8:06 am

As you're working on things, to reiterate from my original
Brah wrote:There is a lot that could be done with the wireframes to compact the posts, such as reducing the pixel count of text and line spacing for the avatars and their widgets and details,

looks like some of this is in progress

I would add that in addition to the post heights, the spacing of the thread listings has a lot of space between them that also requires scrolling, it's not really needed; seems the height may be influenced by the size of the icons

overall post window height, - could still be less, as this is tweak-able

and by all means, please make that right-hand advertisements frame more narrow! - on my browser it's about 1/4 of the overall width, a 1/16th would be welcome, but at least 1/8th.

I can't distinguish between Sticky threads and new threads, which makes it difficult to find the latest thread in the subforum - How about a border for stickys?
-- How about a border for stickys? the new icon colors help somewhat
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape.