Singapore Expats

Software change by Admin. Please revert this.

Announcements, promotions, news, help. Ask about registrations, avatars, PM and others. Post all your forum and Singapore Expats site related questions here.
zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Software change by Admin. Please revert this.

Post by zzm9980 » Sat, 01 Nov 2014 8:29 am

Ok,

So adding hyperlinks to words like condos, International Schools, etc is one thing. Admin has got to pay his bills.

But now, when you type in s g (no space), it gets replaced to the word Singapore. This is retarded. In case you need to see why:

http://www.mom.gov.sg
http://www.ica.gov.sg
etc.

The underlying link is still correct, but it looks stupid. Please fix this.

Pal
Site Admin
Site Admin
Answers: 1

Post by Pal » Sat, 01 Nov 2014 10:29 am

Works now:

.sg

Someone added in the word replacement in the admin panel.
Singapore Expats

Home | Classifieds | Condo | Forum | Property

Brah
Manager
Manager

Re: Stupid software change by Admin. Please revert this.

Post by Brah » Sun, 02 Nov 2014 8:36 am

Looks nicer, cleaner but,

1. Cannot login using Firefox - soon as I login my blocker protection wants to redirect to another page; soon as I log in it logs me out, even after I choose to Allow it.

I have been and will continue to block:
googletagservices
google-analytics
googlesyndication
facebook.net

If these are preventing me from logging in or the site from functioning properly for me, I won't post.

I am temporarily using Chrome which I don't use for a lot of things but do not plan to do that for more than a day or two.

2. The layout is so spread out that you now have to scroll multiple times to see everything, which is not ideal; a more compact screen layout would be much better

3. I can't distinguish between Sticky threads and new threads, which makes it difficult to find the latest thread in the subforum

4. Looks like Big Brother is watching:
Registered users: Bing [Bot], FAST Enterprise [Crawler], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Yahoo [Bot]
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Sun, 02 Nov 2014 9:07 am

My exact thought when I first saw it yesterday night, the layout is too spread out.

Came across a new forum yesterday and it has one of the best layouts I have seen in a long time. May be the techies in behind the upgrade can pick a few ideas from this:

http://www.analystforum.com/forums/investments/91336330

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Sun, 02 Nov 2014 12:12 pm

From the new notification on the landing page "Clear your browser's cookies if you keep getting logged out " - This took care of issue #1 below.

There is a lot that could be done with the wireframes to compact the posts, such as reducing the pixel count of text and line spacing for the avatars and their widgets and details, overall post window height, and by all means, make that right-had advertisements frame more narrow!
Brah wrote:Looks nicer, cleaner but,

1. Cannot login using Firefox - soon as I login my blocker protection wants to redirect to another page; soon as I log in it logs me out, even after I choose to Allow it.

I have been and will continue to block:
googletagservices
google-analytics
googlesyndication
facebook.net

If these are preventing me from logging in or the site from functioning properly for me, I won't post.

I am temporarily using Chrome which I don't use for a lot of things but do not plan to do that for more than a day or two.

2. The layout is so spread out that you now have to scroll multiple times to see everything, which is not ideal; a more compact screen layout would be much better

3. I can't distinguish between Sticky threads and new threads, which makes it difficult to find the latest thread in the subforum

4. Looks like Big Brother is watching:
Registered users: Bing [Bot], FAST Enterprise [Crawler], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Yahoo [Bot]
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sun, 02 Nov 2014 12:13 pm

New forum version has a Foe's list feature, allowing you to block posts from specific users if you'd like.

Just throwing that out there. :cool: [-o<

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Sun, 02 Nov 2014 12:20 pm

I noticed this that wasn't there before, so some language setting needs to be tweaked:

it's (it apostrophe s) displays as " it’s"
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape.

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Sun, 02 Nov 2014 12:23 pm

So much for not perpetuating poor English, the Jokes section still says:

"Leisure Chat, Jokes, Rubbish
Chats, Flames, Jokes, Junks. Don't know where to post ? You've just found the right place. "
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape.

Pal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Pal » Sun, 02 Nov 2014 1:06 pm

NEW threads / posts have a black bold paper image and a little blue icon whereas OLD ones have a grey page image.
unread-posts.jpg
The above forum isn't responsive, try resizing your browser's width in this forum and that forum.
Singapore Expats

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Sun, 02 Nov 2014 1:20 pm

Pal wrote:NEW threads / posts have a black bold paper image and a little blue icon whereas OLD ones have a grey page image.
How about a border for stickys?
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 02 Nov 2014 1:22 pm

Wd40 wrote:My exact thought when I first saw it yesterday night, the layout is too spread out.
Yes I thought that too. I'm on a 27" (?) monitor and yet have had to adjust my browser window magnification down to 20% (!) to comfortably get an average post on a single window (I usually have a few say 10*15" windows open at a time). And toggle between them , work > play > work > play lol... :cool:
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Mon, 03 Nov 2014 10:23 am

It used to be possible to hover your mouse over the thread topic on the main menu to get the first line of the post. That seems to be gone and now the only way to get an idea of what's actually inside is to open up the thread.
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Mon, 03 Nov 2014 10:43 am

Brah wrote:So much for not perpetuating poor English, the Jokes section still says:

"Leisure Chat, Jokes, Rubbish
Chats, Flames, Jokes, Junks. Don't know where to post ? You've just found the right place. "
I think that refers to junk as in phallus. You know, in case someone is juvenile enough to start sophomoric genitalia references threads.

No, wait--
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

Pal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Pal » Mon, 03 Nov 2014 11:01 am

ScoobyDoes wrote:It used to be possible to hover your mouse over the thread topic on the main menu to get the first line of the post. That seems to be gone and now the only way to get an idea of what's actually inside is to open up the thread.
Installed! Try it out!
Singapore Expats

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Re: Software change by Admin. Please revert this.

Post by Sergei82 » Mon, 03 Nov 2014 11:28 am

When I try browsing the forum in Chrome, I get logged out each time I click any internal forum link. In Firefox it is working though.