Singapore Expats Forum

Some interesting currency moves today

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Re: Some interesting currency moves today

Postby Barnsley » Thu, 03 Dec 2015 6:29 pm

Primrose Hill wrote:to me it is rather surprising that the tories are now becoming and behaves like labour, taxing the middle classes as it is easy target.

Someone has to pay for all the Govt spending :D :D :D
Life is short, paddle harder!!

Primrose Hill
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Primrose Hill » Fri, 04 Dec 2015 8:16 am

So, punishing middle class people that are using B2L as a way of funding their pension is shocking. Middle class folks that are using B2L is order to ensure that their children get on the property ladder is another shocking matter.
UK bombing Syria and how on earth are we going to fund it all is the almight shock.
Taxing the middle class is way too easy. We are all to accessible. One day aren't the middle classes going to stand up for themselves? The UK is already restricting pension rights etc. Where is the cheese going to move to without the heavy taxation? More importantly are there going to be any cheese available when we are ready to retire without having to rely on the state pension of GBP70 per week?

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Postby Barnsley » Fri, 04 Dec 2015 9:56 am

Primrose Hill wrote:So, punishing middle class people that are using B2L as a way of funding their pension is shocking. Middle class folks that are using B2L is order to ensure that their children get on the property ladder is another shocking matter.
UK bombing Syria and how on earth are we going to fund it all is the almight shock.
Taxing the middle class is way too easy. We are all to accessible. One day aren't the middle classes going to stand up for themselves? The UK is already restricting pension rights etc. Where is the cheese going to move to without the heavy taxation? More importantly are there going to be any cheese available when we are ready to retire without having to rely on the state pension of GBP70 per week?

Nobody will stand up .....

Everyone is terrified of everyone, its hilarious.

The Govt should be about facilitating business and providing services that should not be open to the market whereby if you cant pay you cant get. That is education,medicine,utilities,infrastructure in my eyes these should not be in private hands , especially in the UK.

If folk want to pay for Private health and Education, that is up to them , but "group" payment for health and education especially leads to a better society in my opinion.

There wouldnt be such an issue with B2L if the folks in the Local Authorities werent milking the system to the max. Local council provide no accomodation , however they will pay over the odds to put folk into the houses owned by Councillor Smith. :D :D :D
Life is short, paddle harder!!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Fri, 04 Dec 2015 6:01 pm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/buytol ... lords.html
'Tenants will bear the cost of buy-to-let tax rises as fewer homes on the market will push prices higher, say landlords
70% of landlords believe tenants will see rents increase amid lower supply
53% said they will not be buying any more properties for buy-to-let'
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

Primrose Hill
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Primrose Hill » Fri, 04 Dec 2015 6:13 pm

Yeah but it's the daily wail so I am taking it as a pinch of salt

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Postby earthfriendly » Fri, 18 Dec 2015 12:33 pm

Uh oh, if you don't treat your employees right, it will come back and haunt you....

http://www.thestreet.com/story/13396455 ... _ven=YAHOO

Wd40
Director
Director

Postby Wd40 » Sat, 19 Dec 2015 5:11 pm

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/mar ... /77381982/

Retirees now need to save $1 million if they want to get half of their income from relatively low-risk Treasury investments, according to new research from Michael Thompson and his co-authors at S&P Capital IQ. That's up from the $200,000 to $300,000 they needed to save to reach the same financial goal between 1990 and 1997 in inflation-adjusted dollars, Thompson says.

The reason retirees need so much more now? Rock-bottom interest rates on safe investments like Treasuries are to blame. "It's startling to think like this," says Thompson. "Rates are so low, in order for you to not take exceptional risk to try to have a reasonable retirement portfolio, you need a million dollars in assets."

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Sat, 19 Dec 2015 5:52 pm

Well you need a larger asset base. But for the same reason you need more these days, you're going to see it eroded less by inflation.

p.s. The description of US Treasuries as 'relatively low-risk' is curious to me, since that's accepted as just about as low risk (and low return!) as you can ever get, in absolute global terms. ... And I wouldn't suggest retirees invest heavily in Treasuries/Gilts/bonds, not unless they wish to live like paupers AND leave a fat inheritance for others to enjoy...

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Sat, 19 Dec 2015 11:49 pm

One million USA dollars barely gets you by in today's world. At a "reasonable" rate of return of 4 to 6 percent, that's 40 K to 60 K per year... passable in some areas of the USA, nowhere near enough to be able to live in a more expensive city.

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Postby earthfriendly » Sun, 20 Dec 2015 10:32 am

I don't think most of us can afford to not take some risk. Salary from day job may not be sufficient to yield enough savings for a comfortable retirement. Treasury yield barely keeps up with inflation rate. A rate of 6 % seems (for US broad market, not sure how the rest of the world works) reasonable and risk-maneagable.

Wd40
Director
Director

Postby Wd40 » Sun, 20 Dec 2015 10:35 am

There is a big group of economists there, that believe that we are on the brink of a 20-35 year depression. That all asset classes are going to crash and gold is the only thing that will survive. I am not sure I believe that, but I think we still need to evaluate every possibility.

Sent from my Redmi Note 2 using Tapatalk

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Sun, 20 Dec 2015 10:46 am

But surely that is the goal EF? Being allowed to go risk-off.
6%? - you're not going to get that through bonds.

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Postby earthfriendly » Sun, 20 Dec 2015 11:22 am

I am referring specificly to stock market and specifically USA stock market. It goes in cycle. It will never be 6 % every single year. But overall, stocks move up for about 7 years (plus minus of course lah, it is never an exact science) within a cycle of 10 years (plus and minus again). So it does move up for the most part. And percentages varies year to year. Average of 6 % over that cycle seems reasonable. So you kind of have to plan to withdraw from the market in stages (dollar cost average out of the market) so you don't get cornered into selling your entire stake in one down time. I am talking about the scenario prior to your actual retirement. Maybe you guys were talking about a different phase of life?

Anyway, I plan to work (on a job that I enjoy) till I can't physically do it anymore. I like it that way. And that is how I enjoy my life :) .

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Sun, 20 Dec 2015 11:37 am

Ah well, depends on whether you refer to income or some retrospective 'total income'. [taking in capital gains]. Rightly or wrongly I don't factor in the latter at all; it's all rather nebulous to me.
In fact.... how do you think about it? I think of yield (this years). So being heavy on Berkeley/BKG and Lancashire/LRE that's around 6-6.5% right now. Capital gains, as with property are all rather unknown. .... but a sound plan and ten years faith seems to work ok.
6% from the US market - wow :-o

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Postby earthfriendly » Sun, 20 Dec 2015 11:53 am

Okie, I went googling and realized my figure was outdated :oops: . So a 4 % ballpark seems to be more realistic. Goes to show how hard it is to predict the market. I apologize for the misleading info. Anway, I am never the one to crunch numbers. Take it with a grain of salt from me.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/john-b ... 2015-11-05