Singapore Expats Forum

Some interesting currency moves today

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
User avatar
Barnsley
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2122
Joined: Tue, 10 Jun 2008
Location: Pasir Ris
Contact:

Re: Some interesting currency moves today

Postby Barnsley » Fri, 10 Jul 2015 5:47 pm

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-33473779

And the point of the referendum was what?

](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
Life is short, paddle harder!!

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9288
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Re: Some interesting currency moves today

Postby x9200 » Sat, 11 Jul 2015 9:56 am

Image

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3828
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012
Location: SIndiapore

Re: Some interesting currency moves today

Postby Wd40 » Sun, 12 Jul 2015 7:01 pm

Well surprise surprise, Germany want Greece to Grexit temporarily.

http://www.moneycontrol.com/news/world- ... 20341.html

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Re: Some interesting currency moves today

Postby JR8 » Sun, 12 Jul 2015 8:26 pm

The two current questions a) what will Greece do to the EU economy and it's future? b) If china sneezes will the rest of the world catch a cold?
China's history as a major importer of natural resources (iron ore, oil, etc), and it's current economic-wobbles are contributing to some of the larger shockwaves playing out through the global economy right now.

ps. 3) The 'pivot point' on the US interest rate cycle.
Last edited by JR8 on Sun, 12 Jul 2015 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Re: Some interesting currency moves today

Postby JR8 » Sun, 12 Jul 2015 8:28 pm

Barnsley wrote:http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-33473779
And the point of the referendum was what?
](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)


Greece wanted to make a point, but i don't think they quite realised the depth as to which the Germans really don't give a $hit what the Greeks think.
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3828
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012
Location: SIndiapore

Re: Some interesting currency moves today

Postby Wd40 » Mon, 13 Jul 2015 12:38 am

http://www.econotimes.com/Singapores-an ... ober-60059

MAS could do another surprise easing. So the current level of SGD looks too good to last. So guys who have a lot of SGDs in your accounts might want to remit them out to your local currencies.

User avatar
Barnsley
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2122
Joined: Tue, 10 Jun 2008
Location: Pasir Ris
Contact:

Re: Some interesting currency moves today

Postby Barnsley » Mon, 13 Jul 2015 10:09 am

JR8 wrote:
Barnsley wrote:http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-33473779
And the point of the referendum was what?
](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)


Greece wanted to make a point, but i don't think they quite realised the depth as to which the Germans really don't give a $hit what the Greeks think.


Looks like the Greek Parliament is going to agree anyway ...........

Pointless posturing!
Life is short, paddle harder!!

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10561
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Re: Some interesting currency moves today

Postby Strong Eagle » Mon, 13 Jul 2015 12:06 pm

Barnsley wrote:
JR8 wrote:
Barnsley wrote:http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-33473779
And the point of the referendum was what?
](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)


Greece wanted to make a point, but i don't think they quite realised the depth as to which the Germans really don't give a $hit what the Greeks think.


Looks like the Greek Parliament is going to agree anyway ...........

Pointless posturing!


On the contrary, the Greeks are playing Merkel and gang like a cheap fiddle... they have caved in... except they haven't... watch... they will get one of three things very shortly... a big bunch of cash to keep Greek banks alive, a forgiveness of debt, or an exit from the Euro... maybe even 2 out of the 3.

When Greece first seemed to have caved, I said, "damn"... but they haven't really... next step in the chess game.

User avatar
Barnsley
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2122
Joined: Tue, 10 Jun 2008
Location: Pasir Ris
Contact:

Re: Some interesting currency moves today

Postby Barnsley » Mon, 13 Jul 2015 1:14 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:On the contrary, the Greeks are playing Merkel and gang like a cheap fiddle... they have caved in... except they haven't... watch... they will get one of three things very shortly... a big bunch of cash to keep Greek banks alive, a forgiveness of debt, or an exit from the Euro... maybe even 2 out of the 3.

When Greece first seemed to have caved, I said, "damn"... but they haven't really... next step in the chess game.


They now have the chance to get even worse terms and condition , genius!!!

If they get cash for banks , the repayment details will be penal

No way they will get any debt forgiveness, its easy to say forgive the debt when it isnt your money thats been lent.
Unless there was serious bullshitting , every poll had Greeks wanting to stay in the EU, they just voted no to the deal offered.

I am not fan of the EU, but unless Tsipsaris has a Joker up his sleeve to play , I dont seen where Greece has any bargaining tools, I hope he has some cards left to play , but it looks like realities have finally caught up with him.

Even the EU-Left leaning press in UK is painting a bleak picture for Greece.
Life is short, paddle harder!!

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Re: Some interesting currency moves today

Postby JR8 » Wed, 15 Jul 2015 4:13 pm

From the Daily Telegraph's (UK), daily market round-up e-mail:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------


'The Telegraph, Citybriefing
...
QUOTE OF THE DAY
"Greece has been devastated and humiliated. Europe has shown itself Pharisaical, incapable of leadership and solidarity".

Romano Prodi, the former Italian prime minister, comments on the debt deal reached between eurozone leaders and Greece.'




---
I had to remind myself what the Pharisees were... it's a biblical reference:

'Pharisaic, or Pharisaical [far-uh-sey-ik]
Word Origin
adjective
1. of or relating to the Pharisees.
2. (lowercase) practicing or advocating strict observance of external forms and ceremonies of religion or conduct without regard to the spirit; self-righteous; hypocritical.

http://www.dictionary.com/
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

User avatar
Barnsley
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2122
Joined: Tue, 10 Jun 2008
Location: Pasir Ris
Contact:

Re: Some interesting currency moves today

Postby Barnsley » Wed, 15 Jul 2015 4:52 pm

JR8 wrote:From the Daily Telegraph's (UK), daily market round-up e-mail:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------


'The Telegraph, Citybriefing
...
QUOTE OF THE DAY
"Greece has been devastated and humiliated. Europe has shown itself Pharisaical, incapable of leadership and solidarity".

Romano Prodi, the former Italian prime minister, comments on the debt deal reached between eurozone leaders and Greece.'




---
I had to remind myself what the Pharisees were... it's a biblical reference:

'Pharisaic, or Pharisaical [far-uh-sey-ik]
Word Origin
adjective
1. of or relating to the Pharisees.
2. (lowercase) practicing or advocating strict observance of external forms and ceremonies of religion or conduct without regard to the spirit; self-righteous; hypocritical.

http://www.dictionary.com/


http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/11739985/IMF-stuns-Europe-with-call-for-massive-Greek-debt-relief.html

You couldn't make it up!!!
Life is short, paddle harder!!

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Re: Some interesting currency moves today

Postby JR8 » Wed, 15 Jul 2015 7:12 pm

Barnsley wrote:You couldn't make it up!!!


Quite. And it's been enacted, bludgeoned in, almost single-handedly by those who declare themselves the most self-righteous, the noblest of all. Perhaps that's the problem, it's never been a union of equals, and the Germans this year have arguably done more damage to the EU and the Euro than you could imagine ... or make up. At the least they have just ripped the soul out of the ideal of and sense of fraternity. The French idea of egalite (equality) is long out the window, if it ever existed in the first place which I don't buy.

What next, more crises, and more making do and patching things back together? I don't see a plan or the leadership to rise above and settle this current storm, just lots of dis-unified and separatist anger. So past experience suggests we'll just stumble on to the next blow-up with the same fools in charge.

I really hope not, as the markets are not liking this at all. If I try and mentally rewind say 15yrs, the current situation seems genuinely quite surreal, so contrary to the dreams when the euro was launched.

Looking back, you wonder if the big-bang introduction was ever viable. My feel is that politics and practicality made it inevitable, for example a country running two currencies (legacy and the Euro) in parallel would have been too cumbersome. A shame as running the two in parallel for say a 3-5 years bedding-in period might have helped reveal stress-points. The candidate countries that weathered that period could have been given the green-flag for full membership. Ah but politics...
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3828
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012
Location: SIndiapore

Re: Some interesting currency moves today

Postby Wd40 » Wed, 15 Jul 2015 9:36 pm

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/ ... rs-pile-in

Canadian currency falls too. Apparently anyone who is exporting to China is falling.

User avatar
Barnsley
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2122
Joined: Tue, 10 Jun 2008
Location: Pasir Ris
Contact:

Re: Some interesting currency moves today

Postby Barnsley » Thu, 16 Jul 2015 9:44 am

Wd40 wrote:http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-07-15/loonie-s-tumble-signals-recession-bets-climbing-as-bears-pile-in

Canadian currency falls too. Apparently anyone who is exporting to China is falling.


The Sing Dollar is on the weaken as well .... Wish the Govt would go back to strengthening, but I guess when your exports are heading down the toilet , time to play a few games. :D :D
Life is short, paddle harder!!

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Re: Some interesting currency moves today

Postby JR8 » Thu, 16 Jul 2015 5:14 pm

It seems only days ago I was reading that Germany had ordered that Greece could never leave the Euro, and yet today:-
----

'It might be best if Greece ‘temporarily’ freed itself from the constraints of the single currency area, German finance minister Wolfgang Schaeuble seemed to suggest on Thursday' [continues/elaborates]
http://www.digitallook.com/news/interna ... KkHjz.dpuf
----

Maybe the constant mixed-messages are intentional, part of a clever plan? ... hmmm/lol.

Meanwhile the Greeks have rolled over and succumbed to the German jackboot. Despite which the German parliament are still going to have a further vote (ZZZzzz!!) re: whether to permit the Greeks to publicly prostrate themselves and lick the aforementioned boots, and hence seal the bail-out.
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Latest News & Current Affairs”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests