Singapore Expats Forum

Singapore's fountains [and taxis] - history

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Singapore's fountains [and taxis] - history

Postby JR8 » Wed, 29 Oct 2014 6:29 pm

http://remembersingapore.wordpress.com/

I got to this www via an article discussing old SGn taxis. Well it's not about taxis but about SGs fountains, or rather their 'new and heralded today, discarded tomorrow' nature.

p.s. Fun this week to visit Tokyo and witness the mother-source of SGs taxis, including some lovely old but immaculate Nissan Cedrics.

--- The taxi article, http://remembersingapore.wordpress.com/ ... ore-taxis/

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3936
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012
Location: SIndiapore

Postby Wd40 » Wed, 29 Oct 2014 7:36 pm

Those yellow top taxis look just like Bombay's

Image

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Wed, 29 Oct 2014 7:40 pm

Oh yes I remember those. I think (IIRc) that they're modelled on the old British Morris Oxford.

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3936
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012
Location: SIndiapore

Postby Wd40 » Wed, 29 Oct 2014 7:45 pm

JR8 wrote:Oh yes I remember those. I think (IIRc) that they're modelled on the old British Morris Oxford.


The Indian ones are Premier Padmini based on Fiat 1100D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Premier_Padmini

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Wed, 29 Oct 2014 7:49 pm

Wd40 wrote:
JR8 wrote:Oh yes I remember those. I think (IIRc) that they're modelled on the old British Morris Oxford.


The Indian ones are Premier Padmini based on Fiat 1100D
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Premier_Padmini


Oh wow! Interesting thanks.

User avatar
Brah
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1962
Joined: Sat, 18 Dec 2010

Postby Brah » Wed, 29 Oct 2014 7:52 pm

I don't know who is more idiotic - whoever thought up telling unsuspecting tourists to walk in a circle touching the railing in the center of the Suntec fountain for luck masquerading as some kind of pseudo-Asian rite, or the tourists who fall for it.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Wed, 29 Oct 2014 7:55 pm

Brah wrote:I don't know what is more idiotic - whoever thought up telling unsuspecting tourists to walk in a circle touching the railing in the center of the Suntec fountain for luck as some kind of pseudo-Asian rite, or the tourists who fall for it.


I'd never heard of the fountain until today! And Suntec for me is something of an 'avoid is at all possible' destination. Where did this 'fountain rubbing' thing come from... ?

User avatar
Brah
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1962
Joined: Sat, 18 Dec 2010

Postby Brah » Wed, 29 Oct 2014 7:58 pm

JR8 wrote:
Brah wrote:I don't know what is more idiotic - whoever thought up telling unsuspecting tourists to walk in a circle touching the railing in the center of the Suntec fountain for luck as some kind of pseudo-Asian rite, or the tourists who fall for it.


I'd never heard of the fountain until today! And Suntec for me is something of an 'avoid is at all possible' destination. Where did this 'fountain rubbing' thing come from... ?

The laser light show at the fountain is worth a visit, but only if one is already in that part of town.

They have a gifts and concession stand at the base where they let people into the center when the water resides - give these a miss but check the silly tourists who go there every days and do the circle walk thing.

This malarkey: http://sunteccitymall.com/pop_fount.php

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5272
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Postby the lynx » Thu, 30 Oct 2014 8:43 am

Brah wrote:
JR8 wrote:
Brah wrote:I don't know what is more idiotic - whoever thought up telling unsuspecting tourists to walk in a circle touching the railing in the center of the Suntec fountain for luck as some kind of pseudo-Asian rite, or the tourists who fall for it.


I'd never heard of the fountain until today! And Suntec for me is something of an 'avoid is at all possible' destination. Where did this 'fountain rubbing' thing come from... ?

The laser light show at the fountain is worth a visit, but only if one is already in that part of town.

They have a gifts and concession stand at the base where they let people into the center when the water resides - give these a miss but check the silly tourists who go there every days and do the circle walk thing.

This malarkey: http://sunteccitymall.com/pop_fount.php


Ditto, same stupid rubbing crap on the guardian lions and dragons of important Chinese architecture. You can see the gold or paint that was once there got rubbed off after many years of 10,000 rubs per day.

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9812
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Thu, 30 Oct 2014 9:01 am

Brah wrote:I don't know who is more idiotic - whoever thought up telling unsuspecting tourists to walk in a circle touching the railing in the center of the Suntec fountain for luck masquerading as some kind of pseudo-Asian rite, or the tourists who fall for it.


a lot of feng shui there :D or so the tourists are made to believe

And it's not the tourist who go around the fountain, but locals too..

After all, Locals follow instructions perfectly .. most of the times

Walk Clock Wise (anti clock wise will bring bad energy), toss a coin, and 'lightly' touch the water to attract wealth .

Though the warning that the water is NON-Potable is not so prominent ;)

PS, Suntec official site says . "this newly refurbished icon represents unity in spirit and harmony among the various races in Singaprore. Discover and absorb the positive ‘qi’ at this popular icon that symbolizes hope and luck."

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Thu, 30 Oct 2014 9:06 am

ecureilx wrote:PS, Suntec official site says . "this newly refurbished icon represents unity in spirit and harmony among the various races in Singaprore. Discover and absorb the positive ‘qi’ at this popular icon that symbolizes hope and luck."


They're just prepping the locals for when the interdimensional portal opens, the citizenry is docile, easily subjugated and would offer no practical resistance.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Thu, 30 Oct 2014 9:33 am

the lynx wrote: Ditto, same stupid rubbing crap on the guardian lions and dragons of important Chinese architecture. You can see the gold or paint that was once there got rubbed off after many years of 10,000 rubs per day.


Ditto, the same stupid superstitious rubbing crap you get on the propellers of some submerged wrecks. The entire wreck will be grey/black and encrusted with marine gunk, then the edge of the phosphor-bronze props will be rubbed until they sparkle like gold. Suddenly 'look but don't touch' seems to go out the window. Even sadder when the wrecks are war graves.

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3936
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012
Location: SIndiapore

Postby Wd40 » Thu, 30 Oct 2014 9:45 am

We have done that ritual at the "worlds biggest fountain" atleast twice, in our early days in Singapore in 2009/10 and our wishes came true as well. My wife wanted a job and we wanted a child :D

But yeah, for some reason we have never been to Suntec for the last couple of years. Before our child was born the free parking for bikers, under suntec was a draw and ofcourse carrefour was there as well. Now that I dont ride and no carrefour I dont see any reason to go to Suntec

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Thu, 30 Oct 2014 10:14 am

Wd40 wrote:Now that I dont ride and no carrefour I dont see any reason to go to Suntec


Carrefour was the reason for my one visit to Suntec, to scope out the shop and what it had to offer. If the really quite shocking state of their '''''fresh''''' seafood counter was a barometer for the offering as a whole I am not surprised that it closed.

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 11110
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Postby Strong Eagle » Thu, 30 Oct 2014 11:01 am

the lynx wrote:
Brah wrote:
JR8 wrote:
Brah wrote:I don't know what is more idiotic - whoever thought up telling unsuspecting tourists to walk in a circle touching the railing in the center of the Suntec fountain for luck as some kind of pseudo-Asian rite, or the tourists who fall for it.


I'd never heard of the fountain until today! And Suntec for me is something of an 'avoid is at all possible' destination. Where did this 'fountain rubbing' thing come from... ?

The laser light show at the fountain is worth a visit, but only if one is already in that part of town.

They have a gifts and concession stand at the base where they let people into the center when the water resides - give these a miss but check the silly tourists who go there every days and do the circle walk thing.

This malarkey: http://sunteccitymall.com/pop_fount.php


Ditto, same stupid rubbing crap on the guardian lions and dragons of important Chinese architecture. You can see the gold or paint that was once there got rubbed off after many years of 10,000 rubs per day.


Hell... take a look at the hundreds, if not thousands of polished tits at Angkor Wat... good luck to rub the tits of the "cherubs" that occupy the upper reaches... and amazing that tourists can still get that close... I climbed the steps to the main temple.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests