Singapore Expats

New arrival travel documents

Discuss about childcare, parenthood, playschools, educational, family & international school issues.

Sponsored by:

Canadian International School
Steve1960
Editor
Editor

New arrival travel documents

Post by Steve1960 » Tue, 28 Oct 2014 12:06 pm

So I researched this before our new baby girl arrived but now I am going through the pain I thought I would post for comment.

Singapore allows 6 weeks for foreign parents to get a travel document for their new born. The clock starts ticking from the day the child is born. In my case our bundle of fun arrived at 3.30pm on a Friday afternoon so by the time I got going on Monday I had already lost 3 days.

The UK passport application is on line but the web site still says allow 8 weeks to receive the passport.

The Philippines passport application has to be in person at the embassy and the earliest appointment I could get is tomorrow. Almost 3 of the 6 allowed weeks will have passed. The embassy web site also says allow 8 weeks for the passport to arrive.

Now I know I can apply for an extension to the 6 weeks rule but that is just more bureaucratic hassle on top of the two passport applications and getting additional authenticated birth certificates because the hospital would only supply one etc etc etc

I am amazed there is not better alignment on this issue. Would it hurt Singapore to allow 9 or 10 weeks from birth to obtain travel documents? Right now many foreigners are just being set up to fail and inevitably make an extension application.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: New arrival travel documents

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 28 Oct 2014 1:28 pm

Steve1960 wrote: Singapore allows 6 weeks for foreign parents to get a travel document for their new born. The clock starts ticking from the day the child is born. In my case our bundle of fun arrived at 3.30pm on a Friday afternoon so by the time I got going on Monday I had already lost 3 days.

The UK passport application is on line but the web site still says allow 8 weeks to receive the passport.

The Philippines passport application has to be in person at the embassy and the earliest appointment I could get is tomorrow. Almost 3 of the 6 allowed weeks will have passed. The embassy web site also says allow 8 weeks for the passport to arrive.

Now I know I can apply for an extension to the 6 weeks rule but that is just more bureaucratic hassle on top of the two passport applications and getting additional authenticated birth certificates because the hospital would only supply one etc etc etc

I am amazed there is not better alignment on this issue. Would it hurt Singapore to allow 9 or 10 weeks from birth to obtain travel documents? Right now many foreigners are just being set up to fail and inevitably make an extension application.
As for extension I don't know, maybe there is some prior precedent of some registrations slipping by ..

For travel, if you need, you can obtain a Emergency Certificate, valid for single travel, to country of origin, if the passport gets held up and you need to travel

i.e. if you plan to go to PH, the PH Embassy should be able to process this within an hour or within the day.

Atleast my high commission does it so fast ;)

PS, the PH passport delay maybe due to the Biometric thing. But I do understand why they insist on Biometrics for babies too

BTW, congrats on the baby !!!!

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Tue, 28 Oct 2014 2:06 pm

ecureilx wrote:
As for extension I don't know, maybe there is some prior precedent of some registrations slipping by ..

For travel, if you need, you can obtain a Emergency Certificate, valid for single travel, to country of origin, if the passport gets held up and you need to travel

i.e. if you plan to go to PH, the PH Embassy should be able to process this within an hour or within the day.

Atleast my high commission does it so fast ;)

PS, the PH passport delay maybe due to the Biometric thing. But I do understand why they insist on Biometrics for babies too

BTW, congrats on the baby !!!!
Thank you. No there is no hurry to travel I just need to meet Singapore's requirements and it would be nice not to have to apply for the extension but it seems likely unless the UK one comes through earlier than expected.

I don't think there is a particular delay for the Phil passport application the delay is getting an appointment in the first place. It may be biometrics but could also be that Phil are just not capable of offering much on line although it is improving.

Besides turning up in person does have it's advantages, I get to keep all the original documents. For the UK passport I had to send them in the mail after applying on line :-(

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 28 Oct 2014 3:04 pm

Steve1960 wrote: Thank you. No there is no hurry to travel I just need to meet Singapore's requirements and it would be nice not to have to apply for the extension but it seems likely unless the UK one comes through earlier than expected.

I don't think there is a particular delay for the Phil passport application the delay is getting an appointment in the first place. It may be biometrics but could also be that Phil are just not capable of offering much on line although it is improving.

Besides turning up in person does have it's advantages, I get to keep all the original documents. For the UK passport I had to send them in the mail after applying on line :-(
Uk outsourced to some other agency

For PH, I not sure if you know you have to bring your small one over to the embassy :( :(

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Tue, 28 Oct 2014 3:21 pm

ecureilx wrote:
Steve1960 wrote:
Uk outsourced to some other agency

For PH, I not sure if you know you have to bring your small one over to the embassy :( :(
Yes I know the baby has to come along too, and about the dress code for the Embassy plus I even figured out what documents they require and how many copies of each which is never the same as it states on the web site.

Even given all that I know I will have our entire folder of documents with me just in case.

I am a hardened veteran through multiple dealings with the NSO, DFA and Makati Municipal City Hall :wink:

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Tue, 28 Oct 2014 4:07 pm

At least now is a good time for a UK passport. It's the lull after the summer backlog and before the Xmas rush. They quoted me 6 weeks and it took under 4.

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Tue, 28 Oct 2014 4:09 pm

bgd wrote:At least now is a good time for a UK passport. It's the lull after the summer backlog and before the Xmas rush. They quoted me 6 weeks and it took under 4.
Yes that's what I am hoping for :-)

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Tue, 28 Oct 2014 5:02 pm

Steve1960 wrote:I am amazed there is not better alignment on this issue. Would it hurt Singapore to allow 9 or 10 weeks from birth to obtain travel documents? Right now many foreigners are just being set up to fail and inevitably make an extension application.
Why should Singapore allow for the inefficiency of (some) other country's authorities?
They allow you a time that they think is reasonable - and if you need more and it's not your fault (but your country's authorities'), you show them proof of this and you get an extension. I think that's perfectly reasonable!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 29 Oct 2014 8:51 am

Steve1960 wrote:Yes I know the baby has to come along too, and about the dress code for the Embassy plus I even figured out what documents they require and how many copies of each which is never the same as it states on the web site.

Even given all that I know I will have our entire folder of documents with me just in case.

I am a hardened veteran through multiple dealings with the NSO, DFA and Makati Municipal City Hall :wink:
Yep, the dress code is very important :roll:

Oh, I had a silly episode there. I was asked to produce 3 copies of something and the girl when I have to pay 3 times for the authentication.

I asked innocently, she is going to authenticate 1 document, why do I need to pay 3 times ? is it because there are 3 copies ?

She went quite and said "oh, sorry, I forgot we changed the procedure .. "

:D

You are a veteran in processing paperwork I guess, go for it, May the Force be with you !!!!!!!!!

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Wed, 29 Oct 2014 10:14 am

ecureilx wrote:[

I'm intrigued, what is the dress code? I'm now wondering if it's because of the way some of the Pinays dress on their off day. :)

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Thu, 30 Oct 2014 9:17 am

bgd wrote:

I'm intrigued, what is the dress code? I'm now wondering if it's because of the way some of the Pinays dress on their off day. :)
No I think it's just a general respect thing. The Pinay's know already because they will have encountered the same back home. Guys wear trousers and shoes not shorts and sandals. Girls don't wear the short shorts or short skirts and don't show too much cleavage. Just sensible stuff.

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Thu, 30 Oct 2014 9:21 am

beppi wrote:
Steve1960 wrote:I am amazed there is not better alignment on this issue. Would it hurt Singapore to allow 9 or 10 weeks from birth to obtain travel documents? Right now many foreigners are just being set up to fail and inevitably make an extension application.
Why should Singapore allow for the inefficiency of (some) other country's authorities?
They allow you a time that they think is reasonable - and if you need more and it's not your fault (but your country's authorities'), you show them proof of this and you get an extension. I think that's perfectly reasonable!
I disagree. I do not think it is inefficient to take 8 weeks to process and provide a new passport. I think it shows a lack of global thinking and understanding for Singapore to demand the process is completed in 6 weeks.

Sure one can apply for the extension but that needs to be put into context. I already took time out from my job for the birth and all the appointments to get to where I am today with birth registration, passport applications, obtaining necessary documents. Now in mid November I may have to take more time off (and I don't have any leave left this year) to do the extension. You think that is reasonable? Sorry I don't.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 30 Oct 2014 11:50 am

bgd wrote:

that is a rule implemented specifically in Bureau of Immigration offices, in PH as well as in their Embassies, targeted towards the foreigners I guess !!

Plus another administrative process/circular/law/by-law to add to what's important or not ..

NEW DRESS CODE POLICY

Administrative Circular No. SBM-2013-007 was issued on 01 October 2013 revising the policy on dress code imposed on clients transacting or with official business in the Bureau of Immigration (BI). Policy amendments were made to maximize and accommodate visitors and foreign nationals with legitimate dealings with the BI as well as the consideration of the tropical weather in the Philippines and the usual tourist attire.

The new policy requires strict adherence to decent attire and prescribed the minimum dress code requirements both for men and women. Meanwhile, business/office attire is required for those attending hearings or official meetings.

http://www.immigration.gov.ph/index.php ... ode-policy

Yes, Dress code is VERY IMPORTANT for BI matters !!!! (though some of the don'ts there are obvious, like no bare-feet ;) )

PS, I resized it, since the BI site has squashed the original image !

Steve1960 wrote:
bgd wrote:

No I think it's just a general respect thing. The Pinay's know already because they will have encountered the same back home. Guys wear trousers and shoes not shorts and sandals. Girls don't wear the short shorts or short skirts and don't show too much cleavage. Just sensible stuff.
ehem .. Pinay is not a tagalog dictionary word .. though in common use ;)

I guess the BI Rules are directed toward the "Foreigners" resident in PH, and their (respective??) Spouses/BF/GFs .. after all, I have seen some foreigners dressed like they are at a beach party and tow their spouse/bf/gf dressed likewise .. and a friend quipped that the master sets the standards :roll: :roll:

and a few years ago when I hosted a JCI crowd from PH, they turned up in Clark Quay dressed in three quarter pants, singlets, and one in Beach wear style shorts, Sandals and all, and when I told them we may not be able to enter into most of the clubs, due to dress code, they went "ah, Singapore is a warm country, why do they insist on pants and covered shoes ?? hmmm .. when we were in Hawaii........ "

:D :D

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Fri, 05 Dec 2014 11:24 am

Still waiting on the UK passport and now I agree about inefficiency of the UK passport office!

The last communication they sent requested that my wife contact the National Statistics Office in Manila and obtain an original document confirming our marriage entry is in their records.

I called them and said ' are you sure? I think your request should have been please send us an original NSO marriage certificate'. Reply 'yes sir that is what we need'. Me 'well why didn't you just ask for it then?'

Me again 'I read the instructions for the application on your web site and it specifically states that I did not have to supply a marriage certificate'. Reply 'sorry sir some of our requirements have changed and the web site has not been updated'. No comment from me!

By Monday it will have been 8 weeks since the initial application. Looks like on Wednesday I am back to the ICA to ask for an extension to the extension :x

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Fri, 05 Dec 2014 3:11 pm

That's rough. I was thinking how efficient they were when it only took them 3.5 weeks to process my passport. That was a straight renewal though. I was expecting it to take much longer given the earlier backlog.