Singapore Expats Forum

Applying PR (me and my wife?)

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
kk2014
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue, 28 Oct 2014

Applying PR (me and my wife?)

Postby kk2014 » Tue, 28 Oct 2014 12:29 am

Hi,

A quick question. Hope you guys can shed some lights for me.

I am an EP holder. Currently my wife is not working and is in Singapore under long term visit pass scheme. If i am applying PR, can me and my wife apply the PR together (since she is housewife)?


Please advise. :???:

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5266
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Re: Applying PR (me and my wife?)

Postby the lynx » Tue, 28 Oct 2014 8:46 am

kk2014 wrote:Hi,

A quick question. Hope you guys can shed some lights for me.

I am an EP holder. Currently my wife is not working and is in Singapore under long term visit pass scheme. If i am applying PR, can me and my wife apply the PR together (since she is housewife)?


Please advise. :???:


Yes you can apply with her as your spouse in the application. Whether both of you (or just you or just her) get approved or not, is a different matter.

kk2014
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue, 28 Oct 2014

Postby kk2014 » Tue, 28 Oct 2014 10:48 am

Thanks the lynx.

are you saying that If i apply for PR together with my wife, then there would be a chance I get approved alone but not her?

I thought the result is either we both get approved or we both get rejected.

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5266
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Postby the lynx » Tue, 28 Oct 2014 10:52 am

kk2014 wrote:Thanks the lynx.

are you saying that If i apply for PR together with my wife, then there would be a chance I get approved alone but not her?

I thought the result is either we both get approved or we both get rejected.


It is always better to apply as family. The merits of both of your applications are based on you because you're the provider for your household.

Sp1d3rMan
Regular
Regular
Posts: 80
Joined: Mon, 27 Oct 2014

Postby Sp1d3rMan » Tue, 28 Oct 2014 1:08 pm

the lynx wrote:
kk2014 wrote:Thanks the lynx.

are you saying that If i apply for PR together with my wife, then there would be a chance I get approved alone but not her?

I thought the result is either we both get approved or we both get rejected.


It is always better to apply as family. The merits of both of your applications are based on you because you're the provider for your household.


For my case, i applied PR alone with own merit point, approved after about 1.5 month and after all process done applied as sponsor PR for my wife, got rejected ( not too sure is it she pregnant at the moment). half a year later after my girl born, applied as sponsor for both of them and got approved after 3 months.

May i ask the reason your wife not working?

kk2014
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue, 28 Oct 2014

Postby kk2014 » Tue, 28 Oct 2014 8:18 pm

the lynx wrote:
kk2014 wrote:Thanks the lynx.

are you saying that If i apply for PR together with my wife, then there would be a chance I get approved alone but not her?

I thought the result is either we both get approved or we both get rejected.


It is always better to apply as family. The merits of both of your applications are based on you because you're the provider for your household.



Thank you.

Initially, I thought i need to be a PR first and then sponsor my wife. I did not quite sure if we could apply the PR together (especially she is housewife).


Additionally, based on the information listed in ICA, she does not belong to any one of the groups listed.

"The following categories of foreigners are eligible to apply for permanent residence:
(a) Spouse and unmarried children (below 21 years old) of a Singapore Citizen (SC)/ SingaporePermanent Resident (SPR)
(b) Aged Parents of a SC
(c) Employment Pass/ S Pass holders
(d) Investors "
Last edited by kk2014 on Tue, 28 Oct 2014 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34797
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 28 Oct 2014 8:22 pm

kk2014 wrote:
the lynx wrote:
kk2014 wrote:Thanks the lynx.

are you saying that If i apply for PR together with my wife, then there would be a chance I get approved alone but not her?

I thought the result is either we both get approved or we both get rejected.


It is always better to apply as family. The merits of both of your applications are based on you because you're the provider for your household.



Thank you.

Initially, I thought i need to be a PR first and then sponsor my wife. I did not quite sure if we could apply the PR together (especially she is housewife).


Additionally, based on the information listed in ICA, she does not belong to any one of the groups listed.

"The following categories of foreigners are eligible to apply for permanent residence:
(a) Spouse and unmarried children (below 21 years old) of a Singapore Citizen (Singapore Citizenship)/ SingaporePermanent Resident (SPR)
(b) Aged Parents of a Singapore Citizenship
(c) Employment Pass/ S Pass holders
(d) Investors "


You cannot apply as a family unit. You have to gain PR as the breadwinner first (although you can apply for your daughter at the same time I believe. The non-working spouse cannot until you are able to sponsor her as a PR sponsor.
Last edited by sundaymorningstaple on Tue, 28 Oct 2014 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kk2014
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue, 28 Oct 2014

Postby kk2014 » Tue, 28 Oct 2014 8:22 pm

Sp1d3rMan wrote:
the lynx wrote:
kk2014 wrote:Thanks the lynx.

are you saying that If i apply for PR together with my wife, then there would be a chance I get approved alone but not her?

I thought the result is either we both get approved or we both get rejected.


It is always better to apply as family. The merits of both of your applications are based on you because you're the provider for your household.


For my case, i applied PR alone with own merit point, approved after about 1.5 month and after all process done applied as sponsor PR for my wife, got rejected ( not too sure is it she pregnant at the moment). half a year later after my girl born, applied as sponsor for both of them and got approved after 3 months.

May i ask the reason your wife not working?



she is a freelancer (but does not contribute tax) and we would like to have a baby in a very near future. :)

kk2014
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue, 28 Oct 2014

Postby kk2014 » Tue, 28 Oct 2014 8:25 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:You cannot apply as a family unit. You have to gain PR as the breadwinner first (although you can apply for your daughter at the same time I believe. The non-working spouse cannot until you are able to sponsor her as a PR sponsor.


This is what I understand based on the information found in ICA website.

I am confused now as some say I can apply the PR together with my wife.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34797
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 28 Oct 2014 8:25 pm

kk2014 wrote:
Sp1d3rMan wrote:
the lynx wrote:
kk2014 wrote:Thanks the lynx.

are you saying that If i apply for PR together with my wife, then there would be a chance I get approved alone but not her?

I thought the result is either we both get approved or we both get rejected.


It is always better to apply as family. The merits of both of your applications are based on you because you're the provider for your household.


For my case, i applied PR alone with own merit point, approved after about 1.5 month and after all process done applied as sponsor PR for my wife, got rejected ( not too sure is it she pregnant at the moment). half a year later after my girl born, applied as sponsor for both of them and got approved after 3 months.

May i ask the reason your wife not working?



she is a freelancer (but does not contribute tax) and we would like to have a baby in a very near future. :)


So you are saying she is an illegal worker in Singapore at the moment? That's pretty risky, don't you think? She cannot work unless she is on a Letter of Consent and you cannot get that doing freelance work. I'd say you could end up with an even bigger problem if she's found out. She may well get bounced out of Singapore permanently.

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3912
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012
Location: SIndiapore

Postby Wd40 » Tue, 28 Oct 2014 9:35 pm

Sp1d3rMan wrote:
the lynx wrote:
kk2014 wrote:Thanks the lynx.

are you saying that If i apply for PR together with my wife, then there would be a chance I get approved alone but not her?

I thought the result is either we both get approved or we both get rejected.


It is always better to apply as family. The merits of both of your applications are based on you because you're the provider for your household.


For my case, i applied PR alone with own merit point, approved after about 1.5 month and after all process done applied as sponsor PR for my wife, got rejected ( not too sure is it she pregnant at the moment). half a year later after my girl born, applied as sponsor for both of them and got approved after 3 months.

May i ask the reason your wife not working?


Can you tell us the dates when your's got approved and when your wife's got rejected? May be there in lies the clue.

kk2014
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue, 28 Oct 2014

Postby kk2014 » Tue, 28 Oct 2014 9:55 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
So you are saying she is an illegal worker in Singapore at the moment? That's pretty risky, don't you think? She cannot work unless she is on a Letter of Consent and you cannot get that doing freelance work. I'd say you could end up with an even bigger problem if she's found out. She may well get bounced out of Singapore permanently.



Dude, her customers are from the US and Japan. It's internet era. :D

User avatar
Barnsley
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2234
Joined: Tue, 10 Jun 2008
Location: Pasir Ris
Contact:

Postby Barnsley » Tue, 28 Oct 2014 10:41 pm

kk2014 wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:
So you are saying she is an illegal worker in Singapore at the moment? That's pretty risky, don't you think? She cannot work unless she is on a Letter of Consent and you cannot get that doing freelance work. I'd say you could end up with an even bigger problem if she's found out. She may well get bounced out of Singapore permanently.



Dude, her customers are from the US and Japan. It's internet era. :D


From reading the forum I am fairly sure that working in Singapore without the required permit is illegal.

It doesnt matter for whom you are working or where you are paid from what I can see.
Life is short, paddle harder!!

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3912
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012
Location: SIndiapore

Postby Wd40 » Tue, 28 Oct 2014 11:03 pm

Pretty sure OP is Indian. He wont get PR. If he had started off his 1st post with "Dude" he wouldn't have had to wait this long for the verdict :D

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9810
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Wed, 29 Oct 2014 8:35 am

Wd40 wrote:Pretty sure OP is Indian. He wont get PR. If he had started off his 1st post with "Dude" he wouldn't have had to wait this long for the verdict :D


:D :D


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests