Singapore Expats Forum

P1 Registration: MOE Rejects application

Discuss about childcare, parenthood, playschools, educational, family & international school issues.

Sponsored by:

Canadian International School
User avatar
ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1667
Joined: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 6:42 pm
Location: A More Lucky Spot

Post by ScoobyDoes » Tue, 28 Oct 2014 10:30 am

Wd40 wrote: Just curious, how does it work in other low tax regimes like the UAE?

All I can comment is that for HK, another low tax country, for expats and foreigners it is near on impossible.

There are three choices;
1) Local school where kids must know Cantonese
2) ESL schools where education is in English
3) International

By space, it is virtually impossible to get kids into #2 or #3 but on language it is virtually impossible to get into #1.
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3975
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012 10:53 am
Location: SIndiapore

Post by Wd40 » Tue, 28 Oct 2014 11:13 am

ScoobyDoes wrote:
Wd40 wrote: Just curious, how does it work in other low tax regimes like the UAE?

All I can comment is that for HK, another low tax country, for expats and foreigners it is near on impossible.

There are three choices;
1) Local school where kids must know Cantonese
2) ESL schools where education is in English
3) International

By space, it is virtually impossible to get kids into #2 or #3 but on language it is virtually impossible to get into #1.
I see, now I get it why they say SG is better for families than HK.

merichan
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 171
Joined: Thu, 14 May 2009 11:29 am

Post by merichan » Tue, 28 Oct 2014 1:32 pm

Wd40 wrote:
ScoobyDoes wrote:
Wd40 wrote: Just curious, how does it work in other low tax regimes like the UAE?

All I can comment is that for HK, another low tax country, for expats and foreigners it is near on impossible.

There are three choices;
1) Local school where kids must know Cantonese
2) ESL schools where education is in English
3) International

By space, it is virtually impossible to get kids into #2 or #3 but on language it is virtually impossible to get into #1.
I see, now I get it why they say Singapore is better for families than HK.

Well there's also the air quality... the lack of space ( parks and space where children can be children are harder to find in HK than in SG ) but yes schooling is one of the big challenges

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9811
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 5:18 pm

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 28 Oct 2014 1:43 pm

Wd40 wrote: I see, now I get it why they say Singapore is better for families than HK.
not to annoy you, but I guess you meant "For Indian Families" ??? :D :D

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8337
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 11:23 pm
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children

Post by nakatago » Tue, 28 Oct 2014 1:51 pm

Wd40 wrote:
ScoobyDoes wrote:
Wd40 wrote: Just curious, how does it work in other low tax regimes like the UAE?

All I can comment is that for HK, another low tax country, for expats and foreigners it is near on impossible.

There are three choices;
1) Local school where kids must know Cantonese
2) ESL schools where education is in English
3) International

By space, it is virtually impossible to get kids into #2 or #3 but on language it is virtually impossible to get into #1.
I see, now I get it why they say Singapore is better for families than HK.
Their country, their educational system, their language.

Don't all non-English speaking countries expect students to learn the national language if in the school system (non-IS)?

User avatar
ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1667
Joined: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 6:42 pm
Location: A More Lucky Spot

Post by ScoobyDoes » Tue, 28 Oct 2014 1:59 pm

nakatago wrote: Their country, their educational system, their language.

Don't all non-English speaking countries expect students to learn the national language if in the school system (non-IS)?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, just stating a fact.

However, if you look at the UK as an English speaking country, the flipside is immigrants coming in often demand education in their own language! Worse still, government funded.......and it happens.

That's a whole other topic but yes, in HK it is perfectly fair. The only thing still troublesome is the number of spaces in ESL schools, well, in fact, the number of schools themselves.
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

ludwig12
Member
Member
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed, 04 Sep 2013 12:06 pm

Post by ludwig12 » Sat, 01 Nov 2014 7:45 pm

singapore eagle wrote:I have decidedly mixed feelings about this one.

On the one hand, it's very hard to argue that the Singapore government somehow 'owes' foreigners on EP/WP/etc. a spot in the Singapore public education system.

On the other hand, it's clearly not realistic to think that all such individuals can afford exorbitant International School fees. So the message one could take from the lack of Phase 3 places is that Singapore does not welcome mid-end foreign professionals with kids. In fact, one could argue that the government is positively encouraging a whole bunch of families to go home. I'm not sure this is the image that the country wants to project.
I don't agree with the first part. As tax resident, why aren't foreigners entitled to a place in the public education system? Where do the funding for the public school come from? Foreigners are already paying a different admission fee than locals so there is really no subsidizing here.

movingtospore
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 699
Joined: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 2:14 am

Re:

Post by movingtospore » Sun, 02 Nov 2014 10:29 am

singapore eagle wrote:I have decidedly mixed feelings about this one.

On the one hand, it's very hard to argue that the Singapore government somehow 'owes' foreigners on EP/WP/etc. a spot in the Singapore public education system.

On the other hand, it's clearly not realistic to think that all such individuals can afford exorbitant International School fees. So the message one could take from the lack of Phase 3 places is that Singapore does not welcome mid-end foreign professionals with kids. In fact, one could argue that the government is positively encouraging a whole bunch of families to go home. I'm not sure this is the image that the country wants to project.
Your know, I think they do owe foreigners a spot in the public education system if they want it. All this phaffing on about Singapore being a first world nation...well be one! Any other country that denied school spots to immigrants would find themselves in a very deep pile of p-- re denying a basic human right.

Foreigners, who often make more money, also pay more taxes than the locals...the problem that they're created for themselves is that they're busy investing billions into things like satellite tracking of cars rather than their schools. So they do not have enough spots for locals even.



Just another loud, albeit indirect, announcement that foreigners are not welcome in Singapore.

joydesiree
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri, 28 Nov 2014 3:45 pm

Re: P1 Registration: MOE Rejects application

Post by joydesiree » Fri, 28 Nov 2014 3:49 pm

Hi everyone, I'm a reporter from TODAY newspaper. We heard a rumour that expat parents here received a notice from MOE saying you can no longer place your children in local schools. Was wondering if this is true and if any one has received such a notice? Would love to find out more and to chat!

Please feel free to contact me at joyfangz@mediacorp.com.sg or 6357-4724 if this affects you :)

Thanks much!

User avatar
maneo
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 744
Joined: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 2:46 pm
Location: Tropical cosmopolitan island

Re: P1 Registration: MOE Rejects application

Post by maneo » Fri, 28 Nov 2014 8:32 pm

Are you asking here because you don't believe the answer that MOE gave you?
:-k

Perhaps the story you should be pursuing is why the MOE is reducing recruitment of teachers(1) to less than half of the number of 5 years ago when there are a large number of students being rejected (700-1000 mentioned above)?

(1) "Ministry scales down recruitment of teachers," TST, 05 Oct 2014

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 36166
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Re: P1 Registration: MOE Rejects application

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 28 Nov 2014 9:24 pm

At least this reporter/journo as enough cajones to identify herself. That, if nothing else is refreshing as the clowns from the daily birdcage liner otherwise known as the gahment mouthpiece just post anonymous posts and then see the thread that develops. Good on you. Hopefully you can get some confirmation.

moderator

bro75
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 404
Joined: Sun, 02 Sep 2012 8:06 am
Location: Singapore

Re: P1 Registration: MOE Rejects application

Post by bro75 » Sat, 29 Nov 2014 2:38 pm

If this is true and this trend goes on, many expats will get a rude surprise when they, upon coming here without expat packages which includes International School fee allowance, find themselves unable to send their children to primary school. Some PRs like me whose children have been rejected for PR ( counts as foreigner) could have this same problem in the near future. But hopefully, this will be fixed.

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3975
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012 10:53 am
Location: SIndiapore

Re: P1 Registration: MOE Rejects application

Post by Wd40 » Sat, 29 Nov 2014 9:52 pm

bro75 wrote:If this is true and this trend goes on, many expats will get a rude surprise when they, upon coming here without expat packages which includes International School fee allowance, find themselves unable to send their children to primary school. Some PRs like me whose children have been rejected for PR ( counts as foreigner) could have this same problem in the near future. But hopefully, this will be fixed.
I hope your kids are given PR eventually. Keep trying.

movingtospore
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 699
Joined: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 2:14 am

Re: P1 Registration: MOE Rejects application

Post by movingtospore » Sun, 30 Nov 2014 5:38 pm

Your children were rejected as PR??? Seriously? I've heard of the reverse happening...adults been rejected when they leave the boys off the application. But this is the first for that.

There could always be a back-story I suppose (ie, you've been here ten years and them 1 month). But seriously!

movingtospore
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 699
Joined: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 2:14 am

Re: P1 Registration: MOE Rejects application

Post by movingtospore » Sun, 30 Nov 2014 5:40 pm

I wonder if Singapore was a signatorty to the international convention on the rights of the child, as a sort-of member state to the united nations? Deniying a child the right to go to school because they're a "foreigner" is in pretty bad form.

Post Reply


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Parenting, Family & Schools”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest