Page 1 of 12

Chances of getting Singapore Citizenship

Posted: Mon, 27 Oct 2014 11:33 am
by Sp1d3rMan
Hi All,

I am new here and would like to assess my chances of getting SC.

Malaysian Male, age 34 , SPR for about 3 years ++
Length stay in Singapore : about 8 years.
O Level
Wife Malaysian too and with 1 daughter aged 2yrs old.
Both SPR under my SPR sponsorship.
Annual income about 36K

SC Applied for me and my Daughter, Wife tentatively remain SPR due to property in Malaysia, will apply SC once settle the property issue.

Thank you in advance for all those who reply to me and gave advice.
:D :wink:

Posted: Mon, 27 Oct 2014 12:00 pm
by the lynx
The rule of the thumb is to wait until you renew your 2nd REP. And if you apply together (husband + wife + children).

But you're Malaysian... so maybe it is different.

Re: Chances of getting Singapore Citizenship

Posted: Mon, 27 Oct 2014 12:01 pm
by Barnsley
Sp1d3rMan wrote:Hi All,

I am new here and would like to assess my chances of getting Singapore Citizenship.

Malaysian , Male, age 34 , SPR for about 3 years ++
Length stay in Singapore : about 8 years.
O Level
Wife Malaysian too and with 1 daughter aged 2yrs old.
Both SPR under my SPR sponsorship.
Annual income about 36K

Singapore Citizenship Applied for me and my Daughter, Wife tentatively remain SPR due to property in Malaysia, will apply Singapore Citizenship once settle the property issue.

Thank you in advance for all those who reply to me and gave advice.
:D :wink:


I would give you citizenship based on the clever use of numbers and letters in your forum name :D

However not applying as a family should guarantee rejection I imagine.

Posted: Mon, 27 Oct 2014 12:15 pm
by Sp1d3rMan
the lynx wrote:The rule of the thumb is to wait until you renew your 2nd REP. And if you apply together (husband + wife + children).

But you're Malaysian... so maybe it is different.



That will be 5 years later. The reason i want to convert is due to i want to let my girl study in Singapore.

my wife tentatively remain SPR due to my property in Malaysia, once we sell out, she will convert as well.

Read thru the forum and realize not much Malaysian converting to SC. Maybe that's the main factor approval rate for Malaysian higher?

Re: Chances of getting Singapore Citizenship

Posted: Mon, 27 Oct 2014 12:18 pm
by Sp1d3rMan
Barnsley wrote:
I would give you citizenship based on the clever use of numbers and letters in your forum name :D

However not applying as a family should guarantee rejection I imagine.


I actually just use the numbers and letters in my forum name for fun. is there any actual meaning for that? using number and letters.

The officer also telling me that, applying alone, chances lesser, applying with Kids, a bit higher than applying alone, applying as family, highest chances. :-|

Posted: Mon, 27 Oct 2014 12:58 pm
by the lynx
Sp1d3rMan wrote:
the lynx wrote:The rule of the thumb is to wait until you renew your 2nd REP. And if you apply together (husband + wife + children).

But you're Malaysian... so maybe it is different.



That will be 5 years later. The reason i want to convert is due to i want to let my girl study in Singapore.

my wife tentatively remain SPR due to my property in Malaysia, once we sell out, she will convert as well.

Read thru the forum and realize not much Malaysian converting to Singapore Citizenship. Maybe that's the main factor approval rate for Malaysian higher?


Can't you wait? It is better that way. Your kid is a PR, which is already good enough, if you're fishing for benefits (I know it is not as good as SC but hey).

Posted: Mon, 27 Oct 2014 1:05 pm
by Sp1d3rMan
the lynx wrote:
Can't you wait? It is better that way. Your kid is a PR, which is already good enough, if you're fishing for benefits (I know it is not as good as Singapore Citizenship but hey).


I'm just trying to settle down here ASAP. fishing for benefits... hmm... i admit yes. save quite a lot when buying HDB compare to PR. school fees, medical.. baby bonus..

the main reason is safety for my wife and daughter compared to Malaysia.

Posted: Mon, 27 Oct 2014 5:03 pm
by lfo_24
Sp1d3rman... when did you apply for citizenship?
Thanks for the info :)

Posted: Mon, 27 Oct 2014 5:12 pm
by Sp1d3rMan
lfo_24 wrote:Sp1d3rman... when did you apply for citizenship?
Thanks for the info :)


I applied in September, went down to ICA early in the morning for assessment and they will inform you a while later that you eligible or not. The officer very kind that ask me to come early morning to queue up and get queue number for submission. ICA open @ 8am but queue start around 630am.

Posted: Mon, 27 Oct 2014 9:29 pm
by curiousgeorge
Sp1d3rMan wrote:
my wife tentatively remain SPR due to my property in Malaysia, once we sell out, she will convert as well.


I guess she remains Malaysian to own the MY property?

You've screwed this up to be honest. If you buy an HDB as PR or Citizen, you must dispose of your other properties within six months. You should have got rid of the Malaysian property so you could apply for citizenship as a family, then buy the HDB. As it stands you probably won't get the citizenship, but you can still buy the HDB as PRs (and pay an extra 5% stamp duty for the privilege!) and get rid of the MY property.

The fact you didn't apply together will smell fishy to the ICA I think.

And in my experience, Malaysian Chinese are very much applying and getting SG Citizenship - coz they blend in like locals and don't upset the applecart by appearing to be an influx of FT like PRC, Malays, Ang Mohs, Filipinos, Indians do. Anecdotally I reckon about 50% of all new citizens are Malaysian Chinese.

Posted: Tue, 28 Oct 2014 8:28 am
by the lynx
Sp1d3rMan wrote:
the lynx wrote:
Can't you wait? It is better that way. Your kid is a PR, which is already good enough, if you're fishing for benefits (I know it is not as good as Singapore Citizenship but hey).


I'm just trying to settle down here ASAP. fishing for benefits... hmm... i admit yes. save quite a lot when buying HDB compare to PR. school fees, medical.. baby bonus..

the main reason is safety for my wife and daughter compared to Malaysia.


How can you buy a HDB when one of you is an owner of a property overseas?! That's illegal!

Better get rid of it soon, never mind the citizenship application - that is not important now that you have this problem! You will be in trouble when HDB reads this and tracks you down.

Posted: Tue, 28 Oct 2014 11:42 am
by bro75
curiousgeorge wrote:
Sp1d3rMan wrote:
my wife tentatively remain SPR due to my property in Malaysia, once we sell out, she will convert as well.


I guess she remains Malaysian to own the MY property?

You've screwed this up to be honest. If you buy an HDB as PR or Citizen, you must dispose of your other properties within six months. You should have got rid of the Malaysian property so you could apply for citizenship as a family, then buy the HDB. As it stands you probably won't get the citizenship, but you can still buy the HDB as PRs (and pay an extra 5% stamp duty for the privilege!) and get rid of the MY property.



The fact you didn't apply together will smell fishy to the ICA I think.

And in my experience, Malaysian Chinese are very much applying and getting Singapore Citizenship - coz they blend in like locals and don't upset the applecart by appearing to be an influx of FT like PRC, Malays, Ang Mohs, Filipinos, Indians do. Anecdotally I reckon about 50% of all new citizens are Malaysian Chinese.


PR can buy private property overseas after their MOP (5 years) is completed. For earlier buyers (bef 2010) , the MOP is less than 1 year. This rule is also not retroactive to those who bought before 2010.

Posted: Tue, 28 Oct 2014 12:53 pm
by Sp1d3rMan
curiousgeorge wrote:
I guess she remains Malaysian to own the MY property?

You've screwed this up to be honest. If you buy an HDB as PR or Citizen, you must dispose of your other properties within six months. You should have got rid of the Malaysian property so you could apply for citizenship as a family, then buy the HDB. As it stands you probably won't get the citizenship, but you can still buy the HDB as PRs (and pay an extra 5% stamp duty for the privilege!) and get rid of the MY property.

The fact you didn't apply together will smell fishy to the ICA I think.

And in my experience, Malaysian Chinese are very much applying and getting Singapore Citizenship - coz they blend in like locals and don't upset the applecart by appearing to be an influx of FT like PRC, Malays, Ang Mohs, Filipinos, Indians do. Anecdotally I reckon about 50% of all new citizens are Malaysian Chinese.


To be exact: the situation is, the house own by my wife's aunt who is Singaporean and is for my wife's grandparents to stay. We are in the midst to find another person to do name swap but it is not easy to find a trusted person to do this.

i own a property in JB and will sell out before buying HDB. Worst to worst case if Citizenship not approve, will purchase as PR's rate.

Yes, the officer got ask why my wife not applied together and i did show proof and explanation. It is up to them to take in my explanation or not, but definitely we are not trying to remain 1 Malaysian Citizenship for future.

I fully agreed your last sentence, i got some Malaysian friends who they said they will not convert but in the end the applied as well. I guess they realize how's the future of Malaysia compared to Singapore.

Posted: Tue, 28 Oct 2014 12:56 pm
by Sp1d3rMan
the lynx wrote:
How can you buy a HDB when one of you is an owner of a property overseas?! That's illegal!

Better get rid of it soon, never mind the citizenship application - that is not important now that you have this problem! You will be in trouble when HDB reads this and tracks you down.


Yes, we are well aware about the rules and regulation, we are law obey-er, we will not do anything that will affect our future in Singapore. Thanks for reminding :D

Posted: Tue, 28 Oct 2014 12:58 pm
by Sp1d3rMan
bro75 wrote:
PR can buy private property overseas after their MOP (5 years) is completed. For earlier buyers (bef 2010) , the MOP is less than 1 year. This rule is also not retroactive to those who bought before 2010.


If i remember correctly, there is a limitation of buying private property after MOP (5Years). it Cap on buying property above RM550K.

Guys, please correct me if i'm wrong. Thanks~ :wink: