Singapore Expats

Chances of getting Singapore Citizenship

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
synkronize

Re: Chances of getting Singapore Citizenship

Post by synkronize » Mon, 09 May 2016 3:53 pm

the lynx wrote: When did you buy the HDB? Or rather when did you start having BOTH overseas properties and HDB at the same time?
Property was purchased in Nov 2009.

Oversea properties in Malaysia was transferred to me from my parents about 3 years ago.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 09 May 2016 3:55 pm

Personally I think the rule about HDB and overseas properties is;

1. Based on voluntary information

2. Possibly unconstitutional; essentially the country is engaging in the overt control of her citizen's investments.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Mon, 09 May 2016 4:01 pm

PNGMK wrote:2. Possibly unconstitutional; essentially the country is engaging in the overt control of her citizen's investments.
There is no obligation whatsoever to purchase a HDB leasehold. Citizens are free to choose their investments. They just don't get housing help from the government if they own housing elsewhere. That's a basic, common approach to benefit qualification.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 09 May 2016 4:04 pm

SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 09 May 2016 4:21 pm

Thanks I was looking for that.
If all the owners of your flat are Singapore Permanent Residents and you are a flat owner or essential family member who has met the MOP for your flat, you are required to:

1. Notify us of your local private residential property acquisition before you exercise the Option to Purchase (OTP) for the property
2. Sell your flat within 6 months of acquiring your completed/ uncompleted local private residential property
3. You can approach the HDB Branch managing your flat to notify us of your intention to acquire private residential properties.
But this is for local private property. What about overseas?

By the way, I have to agree with BBCW on this. HDB is meant to assist the housing needs of the locals. If one is rich enough to own a private property, that person is no longer needy. That limited HDB privilege should be then be given to someone who needs it more. Wanna play property investments? HDB was never an investment to own/start with.

synkronize

Post by synkronize » Mon, 09 May 2016 4:28 pm

hmm, i dont own any other properties in Singapore apart from the HDB. The ones in Malaysia are inheritance if a distinction is to be made but not sure if it helps in explaining my case

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 09 May 2016 5:25 pm

http://www.hdb.gov.sg/cs/infoweb/reside ... ter-buying

"Conditions after Buying
Buying a Resale flat
Minimum Occupation Period (MOP)
You must occupy the flat for a minimum period of 5 years before you can:

Sell the flat in the open market
Sublet the whole flat
Invest in private property, both local and overseas
The MOP starts from the day your flat purchase is completed.

Waiver of MOP (only for Top-Up Grant)
If you and your spouse each own a flat and wish to dispose of both flats to get an HDB resale flat using the Top-Up Grant:

The MOP may be waived for 1 flat to allow you to sell it in the open market
The other flat can be transferred to eligible family members or persons
Disposal of existing flat
You must dispose of your existing HDB flat (if any) within 6 months of buying a resale flat.

Disposal of existing ownership/ interest in property in Singapore or overseas other than HDB flats
You, your spouse, co-applicants, and any occupiers listed in the resale application must dispose of any interest or ownership in any private residential property within 6 months of buying a resale flat."
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

bro75
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by bro75 » Mon, 09 May 2016 5:33 pm

I think your original question was if your existing HDB ownership will be affected if you acquire Singapore citizenship. The answer is no.

Chin Xui

Citizenship by Descent

Post by Chin Xui » Mon, 09 May 2016 10:53 pm

Hi. This is my first time here so I'm not quite familiar on how this works. Hehehe. Anyway, I would like to ask if I am qualified or have a chance to be a citizen of Singapore through its Citizenship by Descent.

I read some articles and forums about Citizenship by Descent and I'm not that confident that I am eligible on some of its requirements and such due to:

My father is a citizen of Singapore, my mother is a citizen of Philippines, and I am born here in the Philippines. But the thing is, my parents are not married. My father is married to someone else before but they are not legally separated so technically I am an illegitimate child. For more than 10 years now, we have no contact or any means of communication to my father; but he acknowledge me as his daughter, which is attached on my Birth Certificate, and the document is notarized.

I would like to know what I should do and what are my chances. By the way, I am already 20 years old. My mother is not aware of such option regarding my citizenship until now. Anyway, thank you in advance!! :)

nakatago

Re: Citizenship by Descent

Post by nakatago » Tue, 10 May 2016 6:29 am

Chin Xui wrote:My father is a citizen of Singapore, my mother is a citizen of Philippines, and I am born here in the Philippines. But the thing is, my parents are not married. My father is married to someone else before but they are not legally separated so technically I am an illegitimate child. For more than 10 years now, we have no contact or any means of communication to my father; but he acknowledge me as his daughter, which is attached on my Birth Certificate, and the document is notarized.
I am not a lawyer but I highlighted what I think your problems are. Check the Singapore constitution's article on citizenship.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

Chin Xui

Post by Chin Xui » Tue, 10 May 2016 2:24 pm

Thank you for replying. Yeah, I think that is also my major problem in this case. I jus hope that the notarized document wherein he acknowledge me as his daughter will be of great help despite being illegitimate.

I'd already sent an email to the embassy here in Manila to ask for assistance. I just want to understand more my situation so that I can make a sound decision and will know what to do

Again, thank you!

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Tue, 10 May 2016 3:06 pm

ICA summarizes the citizenship section of the Constitution here. As I read it, it's unlikely you would qualify, but check that information carefully.

Chin Xui

Post by Chin Xui » Tue, 10 May 2016 4:45 pm

Thank you for replying, BBCWatcher. As I read more concerning my situation, I realized how slim my chances are. I guess I just want to know the opinion of others and maybe someone here has a situation quite similar with mine and will be able to give advice base on his/her experience.

Thank you!!

Sp1d3rMan
Regular
Regular

Post by Sp1d3rMan » Wed, 21 Sep 2016 1:22 pm

angel0205 wrote:Hi Sp1d3rMan,

Your children are Singaporean now but still have Malaysian citizenship?

Sent from my Panasonic P51 using Tapatalk
Yes, Child can have dual citizenship until the age of 15. they will have the chance to choose to continue be Singaporean or go back to origin nationality.

Sp1d3rMan
Regular
Regular

Post by Sp1d3rMan » Wed, 21 Sep 2016 1:23 pm

To add on. This is upon the child born out of Singapore and obtain the origin nationality. and approval to become Singapore Citizen. with this the child will be dual citizen.