Singapore Expats

I'm moving alone from England to Singapore in January 2015

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 30 Oct 2014 10:06 pm

nutnut wrote:That Thai restaurant is very nic, I went there a few weeks back and the thai currywas excellent!

They also sell Pork Scratchings, first time I've seen them in Singapore in 4 years, great for a night of rugby and beer...
Cuzzer, scratchings + beer = perfeck

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: I'm moving alone from England to Singapore in January 20

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 31 Oct 2014 7:36 am

Strong Eagle wrote: Thai restaurant on 4th floor in corner is very good. I used to get my haircuts on the 3rd floor. Hawker center in basement ok. Tailor shop at back near money changer not so hot... I'd never buy again. The money changer has pretty good rates. And, Ipanema is the best club, although Naughty Girl gives it a real run for the money.
the tailor shop at the back or the laundry shop ?

it was replaced by Senor Taco outlet !!
nutnut wrote:That Thai restaurant is very nic, I went there a few weeks back and the thai currywas excellent!

They also sell Pork Scratchings, first time I've seen them in Singapore in 4 years, great for a night of rugby and beer...
the Thai food is hawker center priced, and good enough at that price, and much tastier anyway ;)

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Fri, 31 Oct 2014 8:49 am

I love the Thai place at the fourth floor. Yup the curry is good. I didn't know they have pork scratchings but then again you can find them readily in Chinatown and Golden Mile.

I like Ipanema for the less-dodgy vibe but Naughty Girl, hmm... aside for the hit-and-miss pole dancers, I have nothing else exciting to say about them, except that they have a huge place up like an auditorium.

Heck, OT also have a second-handed piano place. Quite a steal!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 31 Oct 2014 9:05 am

the lynx wrote: I like Ipanema for the less-dodgy vibe but Naughty Girl, hmm... aside for the hit-and-miss pole dancers, I have nothing else exciting to say about them, except that they have a huge place up like an auditorium.
OMG I'm getting flashbacks to the 90s...! Did it used to be called Top Ten?

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Fri, 31 Oct 2014 9:13 am

JR8 wrote:
the lynx wrote: I like Ipanema for the less-dodgy vibe but Naughty Girl, hmm... aside for the hit-and-miss pole dancers, I have nothing else exciting to say about them, except that they have a huge place up like an auditorium.
Oh I just realised I got the names wrong. Yes the pole dancers are in Top Ten. Naughty Girl is the other one next door...

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 31 Oct 2014 11:28 am

JR8 wrote:
Wrong one... and now called Top Five... filled with tall Russian women and mafioso in dark suits... I shit you not... gorgeous women... and I wouldn't come near any of them for fear of running afoul of mafia pimps. How the hell do they get into Singapore?

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 31 Oct 2014 11:40 am

Strong Eagle wrote:Wrong one... and now called Top Five... filled with tall Russian women and mafioso in dark suits... I shit you not... gorgeous women... and I wouldn't come near any of them for fear of running afoul of mafia pimps. How the hell do they get into Singapore?
Reminds me of the clubs over in the Egyptian dive resorts. Those towns used to be villages, even beach encampments, now they're lined with hotels and the clubs are filled with what you describe.

I went to one such place (buddies on a dive boat were staying at the attached hotel), and I sat there agog at the scene. Went to the loo, and some nasty piece of work had me up against a wall threatening me for looking at a women... or something, WTF knows if there was any logic to it.

Totally different experience to my then months in that town. Quite a shocker. O...kay, don't think I'll hurry back to this place.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 31 Oct 2014 4:48 pm

JR8 wrote:I went to one such place (buddies on a dive boat were staying at the attached hotel), and I sat there agog at the scene. Went to the loo, and some nasty piece of work had me up against a wall threatening me for looking at a women... or something, WTF knows if there was any logic to it.
oh, that kind of crap doesn't happen here, in Singapore

the bouncers are locals and .. are being polished to present a 'gentleman image' I guess, by the owners of Top 5 (who I believe also owns Naughty Girl, and Queens too .. )

Naughty Girl is off the list of places to stroll by, since I discovered they serve whiskey in plastic look-alike glasses and .. the place has some stinking smell.

Though the band playing was highly recommended, formerly of St James !!

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Fri, 31 Oct 2014 9:55 pm

took less than 2 pages to turn this into a "lup sup bar" discussion!

Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 31 Oct 2014 11:13 pm

ecureilx wrote:
nakatago wrote:
zzm9980 wrote: And over the long term, much more cost efficient than the SPGs uscate is warning you about :cool: :P
I believe you but I'll scour SBF later to crunch the numbers to get a quantitative figure of just how much more. :wink: :P
so sad ... the name calling for 4 floors

there are two nice Thai restaurants in 2nd and 3rd floor, .. a Senor Taco at the back block and a Filipino food outlet in Basement, a decent enough Western and Halal Chicken Rice, and the Mamak Shop, plus the late evening Pizza place .. :( :(

Is the food that bad in OT ??

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Name calling? For OT? Really? Have you looked in Wikipedia or every typed in "four floors" into google autocomplete?

Or are we offending you here somehow?

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 31 Oct 2014 11:51 pm

zzm9980 wrote:Name calling? For OT? Really? Have you looked in Wikipedia or every typed in "four floors" into google autocomplete?

Always found it a dump myself. All well and good if you're off for a night boozing with ... all those maids supposedly at Sunday night bible class or what ever.

Last time I went was to get a Cambodian visa from the embassy in that building. Did not enjoy my visit. Find the whole scene creepy to be honest.

It was/is a state sanctioned whoring-zone, no?

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sat, 01 Nov 2014 8:28 am

JR8 wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:Name calling? For OT? Really? Have you looked in Wikipedia or every typed in "four floors" into google autocomplete?

Always found it a dump myself. All well and good if you're off for a night boozing with ... all those maids supposedly at Sunday night bible class or what ever.

Last time I went was to get a Cambodian visa from the embassy in that building. Did not enjoy my visit. Find the whole scene creepy to be honest.

It was/is a state sanctioned whoring-zone, no?
Not sure on state sanctioned, but some would say (yourself notably :wink: ) that nothing exists in Singapore without being sanctioned, officially or unofficially.

Oh, and there actually is also a church in OT. So perhaps those maids did go to bible study class.

http://www.bcs.org.sg/index.php/contact-us/
400 Orchard Road #07-01
Orchard Towers
Singapore 238875

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sat, 01 Nov 2014 8:36 am

FYI, I am not a retarded that typed ".Singapore", it should be dot S G. Admin has apparently made a stupid change to their text-replacement software. I made a post about this in the Help section.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 01 Nov 2014 8:41 am

ecureilx wrote:so sad ... the name calling for 4 floors

there are two nice Thai restaurants in 2nd and 3rd floor, .. a Senor Taco at the back block and a Filipino food outlet in Basement, a decent enough Western and Halal Chicken Rice, and the Mamak Shop, plus the late evening Pizza place .. :( :(

I am not a prude or anything of this sort and I really don't care what an adult do with her/his a*ss but seeing all these cheap whores swarming around that place it just doesn't match my expectations of a good eating venue. Is the food there that exceptional?

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Sat, 01 Nov 2014 9:28 am

x9200 wrote:
ecureilx wrote:so sad ... the name calling for 4 floors

I am not a prude or anything of this sort and I really don't care what an adult do with her/his a*ss but seeing all these cheap whores swarming around that place it just doesn't match my expectations of a good eating venue. Is the food there that exceptional?
It is ok food, and agree re the atmosphere. Many of the customers are those getting ready to go to 'work' there.

There used to be a tiny 4th floor one, right near the action which may have moved, and was the better one. Now there are a few, some say they are good or great, I didn't find them to be either great or terrible.

Some have seating in basically the hallways, and those, like many here unfortunately, are of dubious levels of cleanliness, or at least struck me that way.

There was a time of being with mates drinking into the wee hours that these places were acceptable to me, but not any more.

It's been a while since I've been to Golden Mile but I would guess the food there is as good or better and without those surroundings or clientele, or at least, not in their 'work clothes'.