Singapore Expats

I'm moving alone from England to Singapore in January 2015

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Re: I'm moving alone from England to Singapore in January 20

Post by zzm9980 » Sat, 01 Nov 2014 10:06 am

Brah wrote: It's been a while since I've been to Golden Mile but I would guess the food there is as good or better and without those surroundings or clientele, or at least, not in their 'work clothes'.
Oh they're there, in 'work uniforms'. Either the same establishments exist in the bars there, or they just hop a cab directly to OT after.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 01 Nov 2014 10:22 am

But it is probably not that frequent/obvious? I buy some Thai food in GM from time to time (admittedly not going above the carpark and ground levels) and never noticed any.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sat, 01 Nov 2014 12:12 pm

x9200 wrote:But it is probably not that frequent/obvious? I buy some Thai food in GM from time to time (admittedly not going above the carpark and ground levels) and never noticed any.
We frequented the grocery store on the second floor. They're in and out of all of those bars that are in the semi-dark corners, along with the food shops next to the bars.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Re: I'm moving alone from England to Singapore in January 20

Post by JR8 » Sat, 01 Nov 2014 12:54 pm

zzm9980 wrote:Not sure on state sanctioned, but some would say (yourself notably :wink: ) that nothing exists in Singapore without being sanctioned, officially or unofficially.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prostitution_in_Singapore
'In Singapore, police unofficially tolerate and monitor a limited number of brothels, where the prostitutes are regularly screened for health check-up; however prostitution outside these brothels also exists. ... "Street girls" operate from the streets of popular commercial districts and designated red-light districts such as Chinatown, Geylang and within many bars and nightclubs, such as those found in Orchard Towers, colloquially referred to as "The Four Floors of Whores".' [my bold]

State sanctioned vs state designated; I have difficulty seeing any meaningful difference.

'Contrary to popular belief, the commercial sex scene is alive and well in Singapore. For a country known for its clean and green image and nothing much else, this may come as quite a surprise to a visitor. The government has taken a very pragmatic view of the world's oldest profession. Singapore authorities figure that it is better to legalise prostitution in certain defined areas so that it can be controlled to a certain degree rather than to outlaw it completely.'
http://www.sammyboy.com/legacy/comsex.html