Singapore Expats

The cost of having a baby in Singapore

Discuss about childcare, parenthood, playschools, educational, family & international school issues.

Sponsored by:

Canadian International School
Steve1960
Editor
Editor

The cost of having a baby in Singapore

Post by Steve1960 » Sat, 25 Oct 2014 1:44 pm

Having just been through the experience I thought I would provide a breakdown of the costs which may be useful to others. I cannot say if this was cheap or expensive relative to other doctors / hospitals it's just a statement of what I paid.

During Pregnancy:

Gyne was Dr Koh in Toa Payoh. I bought a package to cover the regular appointments, examinations and ultra sounds. 900 SGD.

The above did not include blood tests or vitamin tablets etc. I paid a further 600 SGD.

OSCAR tests for spina bifida, Downs syndrome and other birth defects 450 SGD. This is of course optional.

At the time of birth:

Hospital was Mount Alvernia and I would recommend it. We did not know before choosing but it is also one of the cheaper private hospitals as it is run as a non profit making charity. I bought the package which included delivery room, nursing care and two over night stays in a private single room. 3,000 SGD.

Incidentals like medication, me staying over night with my wife and having meals and additional optional tests for the baby (hearing and allergy) accounted for another 500 SGD.

We had to stay a 3rd night as the baby had a little jaundice which added a further 500 SGD.

Gyne costs for the delivery plus three visits from a paediatrician. 2,000 SGD.

So the total cost of a straightforward pregnancy and birth came to almost exactly 8,000 SGD or 7,500 SGD without the extra night at the hospital.

I hope others find this useful. [/u][/b]

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 25 Oct 2014 4:30 pm

Jaundice can be treated at home. There are special UV "tents" that fit to the standard cot and the rental is (IIRC) ~SGD100 a day.

CaptainBullus
Regular
Regular

Post by CaptainBullus » Sun, 26 Oct 2014 4:40 am

Really useful, cheers!

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Mon, 27 Oct 2014 7:58 am

x9200 wrote:Jaundice can be treated at home. There are special UV "tents" that fit to the standard cot and the rental is (IIRC) ~SGD100 a day.
Thanks I was not aware of that. Fortunately the jaundice has gone now. It's not really UV though which would of course cause severe sunburn. Phototherapy provides only the beneficial blue light spectrum.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 27 Oct 2014 8:52 am

Not all UV causes burns. Bands B and C are the ones to fear. I thought UV "A" is used ("black light") together with some blue lights but I just checked and you are right, it is blue light only, 420-450nm.

I checked on the photos I took at that time and the thing we had was PEP ultra bili light, so more like a suitcase than a tent:

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 27 Oct 2014 10:11 am

I guess the UV tents are for serious jaundice cases.

Jaundice is actually very common among Asians, or mixed Asians. So unless it is severe, the usual prescription is outdoor sun with eye covers for x hours per day.

Other than that, nice post Steve1960.

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Mon, 27 Oct 2014 11:14 am

Do consider insurance or check coverage of any existing policy.

A friend's child has health complications and his work insurance policy was woefully inadequate. He is going to be paying out for the next few years and could have avoided that with suitable cover.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 27 Oct 2014 12:01 pm

the lynx wrote:I guess the UV tents are for serious jaundice cases.

Jaundice is actually very common among Asians, or mixed Asians. So unless it is severe, the usual prescription is outdoor sun with eye covers for x hours per day.
Not sure but I don't think so. My son was released from the top super-duper private hospital of this country with it and only a few days later a pediatrician during a routine check up recommended it together with the sun exposure. It was gone within 2-3 days IIRC.

kelly88

Re: The cost of having a baby in Singapore

Post by kelly88 » Sat, 14 Feb 2015 8:41 pm

hey i did some research for you have a look at this
www . expatliving.sg/kids/pregnancy_childbirth/How-much-does-having-a-baby-in-Singapore-cost-Guide-to-maternity-insurance-61587.ece

hope i helped
kelly