Singapore Expats

Singapore Airport Customs - need your advice

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
sprash

Singapore Airport Customs - need your advice

Post by sprash » Thu, 23 Oct 2014 11:19 am

I arrived in Singapore yesterday on a 1 week social visit visa. After I completed Immigration formalities, I passed through the Green Channel at Customs as I have not brought any controlled or restricted items with me. However, I was surprised that there was no security officer who stopped me to check my luggage, nor was I given any declaration form to fill. Even the other fellow tourists whizzed past the Green Channel without bothering about anything.

I am worried now - should I have gone to a security officer myself, asked him for a form to fill or even have him check my luggage? Will this cause any problems while I leave Singapore next week? Please advise me.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Re: Singapore Airport Customs - need your advice

Post by Barnsley » Thu, 23 Oct 2014 11:23 am

sprash wrote:I arrived in Singapore yesterday on a 1 week social visit visa. After I completed Immigration formalities, I passed through the Green Channel at Customs as I have not brought any controlled or restricted items with me. However, I was surprised that there was no security officer who stopped me to check my luggage, nor was I given any declaration form to fill. Even the other fellow tourists whizzed past the Green Channel without bothering about anything.

I am worried now - should I have gone to a security officer myself, asked him for a form to fill or even have him check my luggage? Will this cause any problems while I leave Singapore next week? Please advise me.
What do you want your luggage checked for?

I have only had my bags checked on the way out once in Singapore.

Relax and enjoy your stay here.
Life is short, paddle harder!!

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Thu, 23 Oct 2014 11:25 am

They do random luggage screening. So unless you are really sure you are carrying something that you should declare, you should just enjoy the convenience of green channel. Or else, please go to red channel instead.

sprash

Post by sprash » Thu, 23 Oct 2014 12:03 pm

Oh no, there is nothing expensive or dangerous that I am brought with me. It's just that I got worried because I did not fill a form or get any seal or stamp stating that I've cleared customs or something along the lines. In some countries the Customs officer puts a seal on your Visa/Immigration Card stating you've cleared customs & while leaving the country the Immigration officer will check if the seal is present on the Card.

I guess in Singapore I don't need to Get any customs approval/stamp on my Immigration Card, when I pass through the Green Channel. Thanks for your advice and support, guys :)

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 23 Oct 2014 1:58 pm

sprash wrote:Oh no, there is nothing expensive or dangerous that I am brought with me. It's just that I got worried because I did not fill a form or get any seal or stamp stating that I've cleared customs or something along the lines. In some countries the Customs officer puts a seal on your Visa/Immigration Card stating you've cleared customs & while leaving the country the Immigration officer will check if the seal is present on the Card.

I guess in Singapore I don't need to Get any customs approval/stamp on my Immigration Card, when I pass through the Green Channel. Thanks for your advice and support, guys :)
Your luggage gets scanned, and if you had something .. from drugs to samurai knifes, you would have been picked regardless which channel you went through ..

those luggage scanning at the exit is if for another layer of random check

in some countries, you must show the Customs forms, when leaving the airport .. and many have progressively removed this, including Philippines of late. You only submit the form if you had something to declare

In Singapore, there is no need to fill the form, but if you did bring in contraband, good luck ..

Ignorance of the law is NOT an excuse here ..