Singapore Expats Forum

PR approved after 9 months

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3908
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012
Location: SIndiapore

Postby Wd40 » Sat, 25 Oct 2014 11:41 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:If they didn't say you are welcome to continue to work here on you existing employment visa and didn't give you a time frame to reapply, I would seriously wait until you have something substantially different on your new application, like a very good vertical movement in your job description, or a sizable increase in salary ( I don't mean a 20% increment either) or a new advanced degree. Otherwise, you will be wasting your time tilting at windmills.


Bear in mind that they also keep changing their goal posts. So even though your own circumstances might not have changed, their new criteria may be such that you are suddenly in favour. ;)

I think OP is one such case. You really think 2k to 3.5k jump is a big deal? What about those that applied with salary of 5k and still got rejected? Or you think the rate of growth, during their SG stay is more important compared to someone who comes to Singapore with a well negotiated salary and so there isn't much scope to grow. May be I should have accepted a job at 3.5k and applied PR and after rejection got double the salary and then applied again ;)

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34783
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 26 Oct 2014 12:07 am

Nah, you would look like an unstable job hopper who couldn't keep a job and just took the next thing that came along. :P

I'll remind you not to bother to apply when you find that new position that ups your 6.5K by 75% (2k -> 3.5K = 75%) to 11,375/mo as it's only a 75% increament. :P

Plus, you cannot make NS men. ;-)

jess_perry
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu, 23 Oct 2014
Location: Singapore

Postby jess_perry » Sun, 26 Oct 2014 12:19 am

That's the reason why i didn't bother to appeal or reapply in the past 3 years because honestly,i don't think i am their cup of tea :)
Instead, i moved on,worked harder, got promoted twice and gave it a last shot.
Well, i guess every dog has its day :)

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3908
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012
Location: SIndiapore

Postby Wd40 » Sun, 26 Oct 2014 12:21 am

So someone who gets a hike in the same company is better than someone who moves company to get a hike, makes sense. But I still think its rather unfortunate that they value someone who comes to Singapore for peanuts and then reaches normalized salary levels compared to someone who negotiates well and comes into the country. At the age of 30, OP earning 3.5k is not exactly a rockstar, lets not kid ourselves.

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6837
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Sun, 26 Oct 2014 12:25 am

Wd40 wrote:So someone who gets a hike in the same company is better than someone who moves company to get a hike, makes sense. But I still think its rather unfortunate that they value someone who comes to Singapore for peanuts and then reaches normalized salary levels compared to someone who negotiates well and comes into the country. At the age of 30, OP earning 3.5k is not exactly a rockstar, lets not kid ourselves.


No, not on salary. But are you capable of local men getting you pregnant and pumping out NSmen? :D

jess_perry
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu, 23 Oct 2014
Location: Singapore

Postby jess_perry » Sun, 26 Oct 2014 12:30 am

Wd40 wrote:So someone who gets a hike in the same company is better than someone who moves company to get a hike, makes sense. But I still think its rather unfortunate that they value someone who comes to Singapore for peanuts and then reaches normalized salary levels compared to someone who negotiates well and comes into the country. At the age of 30, OP earning 3.5k is not exactly a rockstar, lets not kid ourselves.

True!
For my friend's case,she married a singaporean for 5 years,with 2 kids,her application was rejected twice. I think there are a lot of ppl out there who actually deserved it more.
Last edited by jess_perry on Sun, 26 Oct 2014 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

jess_perry
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu, 23 Oct 2014
Location: Singapore

Postby jess_perry » Sun, 26 Oct 2014 12:32 am

zzm9980 wrote:
Wd40 wrote:So someone who gets a hike in the same company is better than someone who moves company to get a hike, makes sense. But I still think its rather unfortunate that they value someone who comes to Singapore for peanuts and then reaches normalized salary levels compared to someone who negotiates well and comes into the country. At the age of 30, OP earning 3.5k is not exactly a rockstar, lets not kid ourselves.


No, not on salary. But are you capable of local men getting you pregnant and pumping out NSmen? :D

My productivity is getting lesser and lesser due to stress lolz

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3908
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012
Location: SIndiapore

Postby Wd40 » Sun, 26 Oct 2014 1:11 am

zzm9980 wrote:
Wd40 wrote:So someone who gets a hike in the same company is better than someone who moves company to get a hike, makes sense. But I still think its rather unfortunate that they value someone who comes to Singapore for peanuts and then reaches normalized salary levels compared to someone who negotiates well and comes into the country. At the age of 30, OP earning 3.5k is not exactly a rockstar, lets not kid ourselves.


No, not on salary. But are you capable of local men getting you pregnant and pumping out NSmen? :D


We are talking about change in OP's circumstances which made her more favourable for PR. She was always capable of pumping out NSmen, wasn't she? In fact, probably she was more ripe 3 years ago than now.

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3908
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012
Location: SIndiapore

Postby Wd40 » Sun, 26 Oct 2014 1:17 am

jess_perry wrote:
Wd40 wrote:So someone who gets a hike in the same company is better than someone who moves company to get a hike, makes sense. But I still think its rather unfortunate that they value someone who comes to Singapore for peanuts and then reaches normalized salary levels compared to someone who negotiates well and comes into the country. At the age of 30, OP earning 3.5k is not exactly a rockstar, lets not kid ourselves.

True!
For my friend's case,she married a singaporean for 5 years,with 2 kids,her application was rejected twice. I think there are a lot of ppl out there who actually deserved it more.


I am not discounting the fact that you worked hard and got the deserved hikes and the promotion. I am just saying if ICA looks at just salary growth and promotion rather than absolute salary levels, then its unfortunate. SMS and others have themselves mentioned several times that 3.5k is a not a big salary and at that salary your skills are probably directly competing with locals.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone from TRE sees this and makes a big hoo-ha, like they did when a PRC tour operator was given PR.

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6837
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Sun, 26 Oct 2014 4:04 am

Wd40 wrote:
jess_perry wrote:
Wd40 wrote:So someone who gets a hike in the same company is better than someone who moves company to get a hike, makes sense. But I still think its rather unfortunate that they value someone who comes to Singapore for peanuts and then reaches normalized salary levels compared to someone who negotiates well and comes into the country. At the age of 30, OP earning 3.5k is not exactly a rockstar, lets not kid ourselves.

True!
For my friend's case,she married a singaporean for 5 years,with 2 kids,her application was rejected twice. I think there are a lot of ppl out there who actually deserved it more.


I am not discounting the fact that you worked hard and got the deserved hikes and the promotion. I am just saying if ICA looks at just salary growth and promotion rather than absolute salary levels, then its unfortunate. SMS and others have themselves mentioned several times that 3.5k is a not a big salary and at that salary your skills are probably directly competing with locals.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone from TRE sees this and makes a big hoo-ha, like they did when a PRC tour operator was given PR.


It's probably a lot of everything, not any one factor. Single female. Career and salary growth. Young enough to have kids. Has proven she can take care of herself here, and isn't just looking to find a local uncle's CPF to drain (unfortunate stigma for women of some countries). Etc, etc. For all we know her religion helps too. Most Muslim countries have other stigmas that ICA would look to avoid, this helps them fill the hidden quotas without giving PR to those they don't want to.

User avatar
Barnsley
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2232
Joined: Tue, 10 Jun 2008
Location: Pasir Ris
Contact:

Postby Barnsley » Mon, 27 Oct 2014 10:08 am

zzm9980 wrote:It's probably a lot of everything, not any one factor. Single female. Career and salary growth. Young enough to have kids. Has proven she can take care of herself here, and isn't just looking to find a local uncle's CPF to drain (unfortunate stigma for women of some countries). Etc, etc. For all we know her religion helps too. Most Muslim countries have other stigmas that ICA would look to avoid, this helps them fill the hidden quotas without giving PR to those they don't want to.


This is a very good point , for a country based on a quota system , I imagine folks of a certain faith but who come from a country not noted for its fundamentalism of that faith would probably stand a pretty good chance of gaining PR.
Life is short, paddle harder!!

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3908
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012
Location: SIndiapore

Postby Wd40 » Mon, 27 Oct 2014 11:07 am

Barnsley wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:It's probably a lot of everything, not any one factor. Single female. Career and salary growth. Young enough to have kids. Has proven she can take care of herself here, and isn't just looking to find a local uncle's CPF to drain (unfortunate stigma for women of some countries). Etc, etc. For all we know her religion helps too. Most Muslim countries have other stigmas that ICA would look to avoid, this helps them fill the hidden quotas without giving PR to those they don't want to.


This is a very good point , for a country based on a quota system , I imagine folks of a certain faith but who come from a country not noted for its fundamentalism of that faith would probably stand a pretty good chance of gaining PR.


But then the quota system is based on race. Even though OP is muslim, she wont be categorized as "Malay". Or will she?

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6837
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Mon, 27 Oct 2014 12:23 pm

Wd40 wrote:
Barnsley wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:It's probably a lot of everything, not any one factor. Single female. Career and salary growth. Young enough to have kids. Has proven she can take care of herself here, and isn't just looking to find a local uncle's CPF to drain (unfortunate stigma for women of some countries). Etc, etc. For all we know her religion helps too. Most Muslim countries have other stigmas that ICA would look to avoid, this helps them fill the hidden quotas without giving PR to those they don't want to.


This is a very good point , for a country based on a quota system , I imagine folks of a certain faith but who come from a country not noted for its fundamentalism of that faith would probably stand a pretty good chance of gaining PR.


But then the quota system is based on race. Even though OP is muslim, she wont be categorized as "Malay". Or will she?


Is it now? And how exactly do you know this? Do you have a copy of the guidelines for the quota system you're talking about, A link to share to the page where ICA tells the likes of you and everyone who isn't an ICA employee what quotas they have, what the criteria are they judge PR applicants on?

Oh wait, you're just making baseless assumptions...

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3908
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012
Location: SIndiapore

Postby Wd40 » Mon, 27 Oct 2014 1:20 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
Wd40 wrote:
Barnsley wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:It's probably a lot of everything, not any one factor. Single female. Career and salary growth. Young enough to have kids. Has proven she can take care of herself here, and isn't just looking to find a local uncle's CPF to drain (unfortunate stigma for women of some countries). Etc, etc. For all we know her religion helps too. Most Muslim countries have other stigmas that ICA would look to avoid, this helps them fill the hidden quotas without giving PR to those they don't want to.


This is a very good point , for a country based on a quota system , I imagine folks of a certain faith but who come from a country not noted for its fundamentalism of that faith would probably stand a pretty good chance of gaining PR.


But then the quota system is based on race. Even though OP is muslim, she wont be categorized as "Malay". Or will she?


Is it now? And how exactly do you know this? Do you have a copy of the guidelines for the quota system you're talking about, A link to share to the page where ICA tells the likes of you and everyone who isn't an ICA employee what quotas they have, what the criteria are they judge PR applicants on?

Oh wait, you're just making baseless assumptions...


In that case, lets just stop making any comments whatsoever about the PR approval process.

You comment below is as baseless as mine.

zzm9980 wrote:Vietnamese? Nope. If she was Straits Chinese (Malaysian or Indonesian) then yes, I'd agree.

OP, what are your degrees in and where did you get them? Perhaps very prestigious schooling too.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34783
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 27 Oct 2014 2:09 pm

Bit different if you asked me. One is what we have seen based on anecdotal evidence over a period of time. I've been here 30+ years and on this board for 10 years and have never hear of any quotas from any reputable source. (I don't count those who have been rejected as they will find anything/anyone to blame except the obvious. However, based on the approvals we can deduce trends (although shifting - recently I've been seeing a few more Indians getting lucky but I don't know if it's a change of direction or better quality candidates).


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest