Singapore Expats

Would you leave for more money?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Would you leave for a better paying job back home?

Yes
43%
No
14%
It would have to be quite a bit more
43%

Total votes: 14

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 22 Oct 2014 11:34 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:Well lets see money wasn't the reason that I moved to Singapore, it was circumstance.
I wouldn't like money or circumstance to dictate the destiny of my career.
It shouldn't have to be that way, I've always believed in doing the work that I've liked, whether it beings me adequate amounts of money has always been secondary, fortunately I have always been adequately compensated. However no amount of money will compel me to go back to my "home" because money can't buy experiences that one learns by not living at "home", even if it something as simple as discovering a particularly delicious local delight.
Enough money can buy any experience nearly anywhere. If I offered you $5/million USD a year base salary back wherever your home is, you would't go?

Honestly, anyone who answered 'no' to the poll is lying or stupid.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 22 Oct 2014 11:34 pm

Wd40 wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:Exactly! These salary surveys about job satisfaction and working environment are so much bullshit. There may be the occasional company that provides an exciting and fulfilling environment... but not the plagues of average corporations that think they are employee centric.

TAKE THE MONEY.
Luckily I just landed one that is allegedly very employee friendly (Top place to work! bla bla) with lots of soft benefits, but they're also 'showing me the money'. :cool: I'll let you know how it works out.
Congratulations!
Thanks!

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Thu, 23 Oct 2014 12:43 am

zzm9980 wrote:
rajagainstthemachine wrote:Well lets see money wasn't the reason that I moved to Singapore, it was circumstance.
It shouldn't have to be that way, I've always believed in doing the work that I've liked, whether it beings me adequate amounts of money has always been secondary, fortunately I have always been adequately compensated. However no amount of money will compel me to go back to my "home" because money can't buy experiences that one learns by not living at "home", even if it something as simple as discovering a particularly delicious local delight.
Enough money can buy any experience nearly anywhere. If I offered you $5/million USD a year base salary back wherever your home is, you would't go?

I agree, take that $5 Million spend one year in your home and then after that travel the world for the experiences.

But I think we need to be practical here, atleast I, am not going to get more than $200K SGD equivalent, no matter where I go. That too only London or Sydney contract roles have the potential to pay me that much.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 23 Oct 2014 12:54 am

Wd40 wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:

I agree, take that $5 Million spend one year in your home and then after that travel the world for the experiences.

But I think we need to be practical here, atleast I, am not going to get more than $200K SGD equivalent, no matter where I go. That too only London or Sydney contract roles have the potential to pay me that much.
A lot of the US too.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 23 Oct 2014 5:32 am

All I ask is for a chance to prove that money can't buy me happiness.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 23 Oct 2014 7:24 am

Here I was thinking the poll was about leaving my wife...

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 23 Oct 2014 8:22 am

I was like Raj before having my own family (money is not what drives me - for the rest we are a bit different it looks) but still, even now, money can only compensate (try to) for some things and it often fails. Time spent with your elderly parents, old friend back to your home country. It's not the same talking to them over skype even few times a week. Singapore while very nice to live in (providing one has the money) will never offer anybody space, seasons, smells and sounds of your own country (all to satisfy nostalgia). Food - what could be bought here is s**t if one cares to cook by himself and see the raw ingredients. I would like to have a house with a big garden, jump in the car whenever I want and go to a forest, or just for a 30min drive to be alone, see the truly misty (not the pollution) mornings, flowers piercing the patches of snow in early spring... old cliche things like this. They are also important for people. On top of this, I believe my son would have much better growing environment back in my country, gardens, lawns and flowers to pick the petals included.

Also better money typically comes at a price of all these things I just mentioned. It's the whole packages, taxes, rental, and what is important to somebody lifestyle and likings. TBBH, with the right job I might consider going back to my country for half money I get here (but I would probably later regret).

Primrose Hill
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Primrose Hill » Thu, 23 Oct 2014 9:05 am

x9200 wrote:I was like Raj before having my own family (money is not what drives me - for the rest we are a bit different it looks) but still, even now, money can only compensate (try to) for some things and it often fails. Time spent with your elderly parents, old friend back to your home country. It's not the same talking to them over skype even few times a week. Singapore while very nice to live in (providing one has the money) will never offer anybody space, seasons, smells and sounds of your own country (all to satisfy nostalgia). Food - what could be bought here is s**t if one cares to cook by himself and see the raw ingredients. I would like to have a house with a big garden, jump in the car whenever I want and go to a forest, or just for a 30min drive to be alone, see the truly misty (not the pollution) mornings, flowers piercing the patches of snow in early spring... old cliche things like this. They are also important for people. On top of this, I believe my son would have much better growing environment back in my country, gardens, lawns and flowers to pick the petals included.

Also better money typically comes at a price of all these things I just mentioned. It's the whole packages, taxes, rental, and what is important to somebody lifestyle and likings. TBBH, with the right job I might consider going back to my country for half money I get here (but I would probably later regret).
aGREE BUT....

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Thu, 23 Oct 2014 9:21 am

It has to be the insane amount of money to make me consider leaving my friends, my lifestyle, everything to return to the sh*thole where I hailed from.

And to have SMS put me under "In spirit" every time we have gatherings, while begging for flight tickets to be couriered to me. :P

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 23 Oct 2014 9:54 am

PNGMK wrote:Here I was thinking the poll was about leaving my wife...
He he he he... double entendre, at least... maybe triple

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 23 Oct 2014 10:29 am

x9200 wrote:I was like Raj before having my own family (money is not what drives me - for the rest we are a bit different it looks) but still, even now, money can only compensate (try to) for some things and it often fails. Time spent with your elderly parents, old friend back to your home country. It's not the same talking to them over skype even few times a week. Singapore while very nice to live in (providing one has the money) will never offer anybody space, seasons, smells and sounds of your own country (all to satisfy nostalgia). Food - what could be bought here is s**t if one cares to cook by himself and see the raw ingredients. I would like to have a house with a big garden, jump in the car whenever I want and go to a forest, or just for a 30min drive to be alone, see the truly misty (not the pollution) mornings, flowers piercing the patches of snow in early spring... old cliche things like this. They are also important for people. On top of this, I believe my son would have much better growing environment back in my country, gardens, lawns and flowers to pick the petals included.

I'm pretty sure I know your home country, but even from the description here, it's a better place than Singapore. So yeah, going back for less money makes sense for a nicer overall life style. Not everyone in Singapore comes from somewhere nicer than SG.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 24 Oct 2014 8:18 am

I think it is less about the country, more about sentimental and some other values. I am probably less pragmatic in that respect then majority of the people here. I was always surprised seeing on this board how many people would just switch to another citizenship based purely on economic reasons and I am not talking about the 3rd world countries.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 24 Oct 2014 8:43 am

nakatago wrote:All I ask is for a chance to prove that money can't buy me happiness.
yep, It maybe better to be unhappy in a Bentley :D :D

or in a SQ Suite !!!

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Fri, 24 Oct 2014 8:47 am

ecureilx wrote:
nakatago wrote:All I ask is for a chance to prove that money can't buy me happiness.

or in a SQ Suite !!!
The latest reality-TV scandal to transfix the nation involves Ma Nuo, a 22-year-old model from Beijing who appeared on China's most popular dating show, If You Are the One. She haughtily rejected an offer from a male contestant to take a ride on his bike, epitomizing the materialism that some say has come to define the nouveau riche of the post-1980s generation. "I'd rather cry in a BMW car than laugh on the backseat of a bicycle," Ma told her suitor with a giggle.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 24 Oct 2014 8:51 am

ecureilx wrote:
Only if you could not afford earlier this Bentley. That's the whole trap.