Singapore Expats Forum

Would you leave for more money?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Would you leave for a better paying job back home?

Yes
43%
No
14%
It would have to be quite a bit more
43%

Total votes: 14

aquanavy

Would you leave for more money?

Postby aquanavy » Wed, 22 Oct 2014 7:23 am

Would you leave for a job back home if it payed better? Why or why not?

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Re: Would you leave for more money?

Postby zzm9980 » Wed, 22 Oct 2014 7:47 am

aquanavy wrote:Would you leave for a job back home if it payed better? Why or why not?

Money is always a factor, it just depends how much. Hell, I'd live in India for enough money.

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Wed, 22 Oct 2014 7:52 am

Exactly! These salary surveys about job satisfaction and working environment are so much bullshit. There may be the occasional company that provides an exciting and fulfilling environment... but not the plagues of average corporations that think they are employee centric.

TAKE THE MONEY.

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Wed, 22 Oct 2014 8:00 am

zzm9980 wrote:
aquanavy wrote:Would you leave for a job back home if it payed better? Why or why not?

Money is always a factor, it just depends how much. Hell, I'd live in India for enough money.

I'd work in McMurdo for enough money.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Postby zzm9980 » Wed, 22 Oct 2014 9:08 am

Strong Eagle wrote:Exactly! These salary surveys about job satisfaction and working environment are so much bullshit. There may be the occasional company that provides an exciting and fulfilling environment... but not the plagues of average corporations that think they are employee centric.

TAKE THE MONEY.

Luckily I just landed one that is allegedly very employee friendly (Top place to work! bla bla) with lots of soft benefits, but they're also 'showing me the money'. :cool: I'll let you know how it works out.

The Ref
Chatter
Chatter

Postby The Ref » Wed, 22 Oct 2014 10:17 am

zzm9980 wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:Exactly! These salary surveys about job satisfaction and working environment are so much bullshit. There may be the occasional company that provides an exciting and fulfilling environment... but not the plagues of average corporations that think they are employee centric.

TAKE THE MONEY.

Luckily I just landed one that is allegedly very employee friendly (Top place to work! bla bla) with lots of soft benefits, but they're also 'showing me the money'. :cool: I'll let you know how it works out.

Have you ever gone to an interview where they said "The environment sucks. We don't look after our staff and they hate working here"?

But after you start ...

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Postby zzm9980 » Wed, 22 Oct 2014 12:11 pm

The Ref wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:

TAKE THE MONEY.

Have you ever gone to an interview where they said "The environment sucks. We don't look after our staff and they hate working here"?

But after you start ...

Of course not, and nor would I believe the recruiter or employer that tries to convince me otherwise. But this place often shows up in top 10/50/whatever lists of best employers. So we'll see.

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Wed, 22 Oct 2014 12:17 pm

zzm9980 wrote:Of course not, and nor would I believe the recruiter or employer that tries to convince me otherwise. But this place often shows up in top 10/50/whatever lists of best employers. So we'll see.

Knowing you, where you are and the current state of things related to hiring in your field over there, is it who I think it is?

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Wed, 22 Oct 2014 2:15 pm

nakatago wrote:Knowing you, where you are and the current state of things related to hiring in your field over there, is it who I think it is?

I heard it's Microsoft

:wink:

Wd40
Director
Director

Postby Wd40 » Wed, 22 Oct 2014 4:08 pm

I think the OPs question is more related to leaving your home, i.e. relocating specifically for the money.

I would say, it depends. If the new location has same or higher std of living and everything else related to work etc are equal or better and if it is significantly more money, like 50% more, then yes. If its a toss up b/w money v/s other things, then its a no. For example, I wont consider living in Russia or South Africa, if I was offered double my salary. But theorically if I was offered 5 times my salary, I would grab it, but then again, its only theorical, its not going to happen, so its a moot point.
Last edited by Wd40 on Wed, 22 Oct 2014 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wd40
Director
Director

Postby Wd40 » Wed, 22 Oct 2014 4:23 pm

zzm9980 wrote:

TAKE THE MONEY.

Congratulations!

Brah
Manager
Manager

Postby Brah » Wed, 22 Oct 2014 7:46 pm

Wd40 wrote:I think the OPs question is more related to leaving your home, i.e. relocating specifically for the money.

That's not what I read.

He said "Would you leave for a job back home" meaning would you return to your home.

There is home = the country where you're from, and home = any city in that country.

Though I don't like responding to first-time posters as I suspect them as Poly kids researching foreigners, I would leave in a NY minute. For more or the same money.

It would really depend on the city.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 22 Oct 2014 8:58 pm

So would I. But at my age, and having been away for 30+ years, it ain't gonna happen, so no sense dwelling on it for me. :-|

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Postby rajagainstthemachine » Wed, 22 Oct 2014 10:16 pm

Well lets see money wasn't the reason that I moved to Singapore, it was circumstance.
I wouldn't like money or circumstance to dictate the destiny of my career.
It shouldn't have to be that way, I've always believed in doing the work that I've liked, whether it beings me adequate amounts of money has always been secondary, fortunately I have always been adequately compensated. However no amount of money will compel me to go back to my "home" because money can't buy experiences that one learns by not living at "home", even if it something as simple as discovering a particularly delicious local delight.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

Wd40
Director
Director

Postby Wd40 » Wed, 22 Oct 2014 10:55 pm

Brah wrote:
Wd40 wrote:I think the OPs question is more related to leaving your home, i.e. relocating specifically for the money.

That's not what I read.

He said "Would you leave for a job back home" meaning would you return to your home.

There is home = the country where you're from, and home = any city in that country.

Though I don't like responding to first-time posters as I suspect them as Poly kids researching foreigners, I would leave in a NY minute. For more or the same money.

It would really depend on the city.

Oops, you are right. I read it too fast as "Would you leave your job back home"