Singapore Expats

What do you wish you had known beforehand?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
misericorde88

What do you wish you had known beforehand?

Post by misericorde88 » Tue, 21 Oct 2014 7:01 am

Hi, I'm currently a graduate student in the U.S. and am considering pursuing a job internationally upon graduation. What do you wish you had known before taking an overseas assignment?

Also, do you think there is any training specific to Singapore I ought to get if I take an assignment there?

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 21 Oct 2014 7:45 am

"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 21 Oct 2014 8:42 am

^^ And there are a lot more if you use that graduate learning to mine the excellent search function of this site in the menu bar at the top of the page. Then, if you have any additional specific questions, fire away. ;-)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Re: What do you wish you had known beforehand?

Post by JR8 » Tue, 21 Oct 2014 10:21 am

misericorde88 wrote:Hi, I'm currently a graduate student in the U.S. and am considering pursuing a job internationally upon graduation. What do you wish you had known before taking an overseas assignment?

Also, do you think there is any training specific to Singapore I ought to get if I take an assignment there?
I don't know if it gets discussed in those linked topics... Anyway, it would be interesting to know why you're considering going for a job abroad. That kind of urge tends to come a bit later in one's career.

One key thing that I wish I'd have realised is how it changed my horizons. After my first posting abroad suddenly the old job back home was nothing, simple, boring (as were the 'narrow horizons' of my former colleagues back home). So getting expatted for many people can be addictive. It can be a pretty damned exciting ride. Just be aware it will change you, and there's no way of undoing that.

misericorde88

Post by misericorde88 » Tue, 21 Oct 2014 11:13 am

I understand that 90% of a moderators job boils down to "learn to google," and I like to think I'm proficient at it (I'm not trying to be snarky; just trying to let you know that I get it). However, part of my higher education is what brought me to this site, and I need to document my discussion.

I truly am interested in working globally though. I spent some time in the military before going back to school and got to travel a fair amount. I really loved experiencing new places and learning about different cultures.

I think part of getting the bug early might be a generational thing. Millennials can't really expect to work for anyone place for more than a couple of years, and I don't think it's too much a leap to take that job hopping to a global level.