Singapore Expats Forum

How long to get citizenship for son born outside SG

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
User avatar
AndrewV
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 176
Joined: Sun, 05 Jun 2011

How long to get citizenship for son born outside SG

Postby AndrewV » Mon, 20 Oct 2014 5:23 pm

asking on behalf of someone.

Son born in march 2014 in canada (canadian by birth), came to SG in May. Applied for citizenship immediately after (30th May)

parents are Singaporeans by registration (since quite a while back) so child does not qualify for citizenship by descent (as he was born overseas).

How long should it take on average?

User avatar
PNGMK
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5402
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013
Location: Sinkapore

Postby PNGMK » Tue, 21 Oct 2014 7:49 am

If the child was born of Singaporeans (regardless of whether of not they are SC by descent!) the child can be registered at ICA or an overseas high comm. The process took about 6 weeks for us from memory.

But why would they want to do this? The boy will have an NS obligation now.

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3908
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012
Location: SIndiapore

Postby Wd40 » Tue, 21 Oct 2014 7:56 am

PNGMK wrote:If the child was born of Singaporeans (regardless of whether of not they are SC by descent!) the child can be registered at ICA or an overseas high comm. The process took about 6 weeks for us from memory.

But why would they want to do this? The boy will have an NS obligation now.


Maybe this is why:

sutra673868.html

The reason for applying SC for him is for the convenience of living in SG, we plan to live and work in SG. Also about the education fees (childcare fee and primary sch fee). Thus we hope my boy can be a SC and enjoy all the benefits as a normal Singaporean kid. Of course we do NOT mind our boy to do National Service in the future.


Maybe OP's friend is Godfather_Justin :)

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9810
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Tue, 21 Oct 2014 10:51 am

AndrewV, The child is a citizen by birth because the parent(s) were SC at the time of his birth

PNGMK is on the right track - register at the Singapore mission and they will do the required paper work to get his SC

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9301
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Tue, 21 Oct 2014 11:48 am

ecureilx wrote:AndrewV, The child is a citizen by birth because the parent(s) were SC at the time of his birth

E-e. It's pretty complicated. To be a citizen by birth he would need to be born in Singapore. He may be by descent if some further conditions are fulfilled.

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9301
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Re: How long to get citizenship for son born outside Singapo

Postby x9200 » Tue, 21 Oct 2014 12:04 pm

AndrewV wrote:asking on behalf of someone.

Son born in march 2014 in canada (canadian by birth), came to Singapore in May. Applied for citizenship immediately after (30th May)

parents are Singaporeans by registration (since quite a while back) so child does not qualify for citizenship by descent (as he was born overseas).

How long should it take on average?

I think he does not qualify, not because of the parents but by the fact he is a Canadian by birth. Still he can be registered:

Registration of minors

124.
1) The Government may if satisfied that a child under the age of 21 years
(a)is the child of a citizen of Singapore; and
(b)is residing in Singapore,cause such child to be registered as a citizen of Singapore on application being made therefor in the prescribed manner by the parent or guardian of such child.
(2) The Government may, in such special circumstances as it thinks fit, cause any child under the age of 21 years to be registered as a citizen of Singapore.

User avatar
AndrewV
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 176
Joined: Sun, 05 Jun 2011

Postby AndrewV » Tue, 21 Oct 2014 12:51 pm

yes he does not qualify for citizenship by descent because he was born overseas and by virtue of his birth (and one parent), got citizenship of another country

so he has to go through the normal process of applying.

and yes; he will have an NS obligation. he will live most of his life in SG, and will be the correct thing to do

lol, not related to godfather_justin (although the resemblances are uncanny)

so back to the original question: anyone know roughly how long it will take? the ICA lady has told them that since it's an infant its quite fast.

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9810
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Tue, 21 Oct 2014 1:35 pm

x9200 wrote:
ecureilx wrote:AndrewV, The child is a citizen by birth because the parent(s) were SC at the time of his birth

E-e. It's pretty complicated. To be a citizen by birth he would need to be born in Singapore. He may be by descent if some further conditions are fulfilled.


mmm, I can't find the information, but I know for a fact, if the father is an SC, the child born overseas is considered a SC !!

Seen a few done, in PH and SL !

regardless of place of birth, and all that needs is to notify the Nearest Singapore mission and follow up on the request

Maybe somebody can correct it

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34783
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 21 Oct 2014 2:08 pm

http://www.ica.gov.sg/page.aspx?pageid= ... as%20birth

An overseas-born minor (child) may be eligible for Singapore Citizenship by Descent under Article 122(1) of the Constitution of the Republic of Singapore, if his/her parents meet any of the following conditions:

Male Singapore citizen by Birth who has a lawful marriage at time of minor's birth
Male Singapore citizen by Registration who has a lawful marriage at time of minor's birth and minor does not acquire citizenship of the country he was born by reason of his birth in that country
Female Singapore citizen by Birth and minor born on or after 15 May 2004
Female Singapore citizen by Registration and minor born on or after 15 May 2004. Minor shall not acquire citizenship of the country he was born by reason of his birth in that country
Male (who has a lawful marriage at time of minor's birth) or Female Singapore citizen by Descent has to declare their residence period in Singapore. The application can only be accepted if the parent fulfils the requirements stipulated in the Annex.
The application has to be submitted within one year of the child's birth. Otherwise, a letter of explanation and additional documents are required for the late submission.


Sorry, squirrel, you blew it again.

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9810
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Tue, 21 Oct 2014 3:42 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:http://www.ica.gov.Singapore/page.aspx?pageid=132#overseas%20birth

An overseas-born minor (child) may be eligible for Singapore Citizenship by Descent under Article 122(1) of the Constitution of the Republic of Singapore, if his/her parents meet any of the following conditions:

Male Singapore citizen by Birth who has a lawful marriage at time of minor's birth
Male Singapore citizen by Registration who has a lawful marriage at time of minor's birth and minor does not acquire citizenship of the country he was born by reason of his birth in that country
Female Singapore citizen by Birth and minor born on or after 15 May 2004
Female Singapore citizen by Registration and minor born on or after 15 May 2004. Minor shall not acquire citizenship of the country he was born by reason of his birth in that country
Male (who has a lawful marriage at time of minor's birth) or Female Singapore citizen by Descent has to declare their residence period in Singapore. The application can only be accepted if the parent fulfils the requirements stipulated in the Annex.
The application has to be submitted within one year of the child's birth. Otherwise, a letter of explanation and additional documents are required for the late submission.


Sorry, squirrel, you blew it again.


the part I said, to contact the nearest mission does the paperwork needed.

Anyway, Ok if you say so .. !!!!

And I did say this ..

Maybe somebody can correct it

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34783
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 21 Oct 2014 4:48 pm

I didn't say so. ICA did. Big Difference. :lol:

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34783
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 21 Oct 2014 4:56 pm

ecureilx wrote:...but I know for a fact, if the father is an SC, the child born overseas is considered a SC !!


If you knew it for a fact, then there would be no reason to correct it, would it.
:wink:

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9301
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Tue, 21 Oct 2014 8:03 pm

AndrewV wrote:yes he does not qualify for citizenship by descent because he was born overseas and by virtue of his birth (and one parent), got citizenship of another country

so he has to go through the normal process of applying.


Is the kid residing in Singapore?

Sorry, I don't know the answer to your main question.

User avatar
AndrewV
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 176
Joined: Sun, 05 Jun 2011

Postby AndrewV » Thu, 23 Oct 2014 11:34 am

x9200 wrote:
AndrewV wrote:yes he does not qualify for citizenship by descent because he was born overseas and by virtue of his birth (and one parent), got citizenship of another country

so he has to go through the normal process of applying.


Is the kid residing in Singapore?

Sorry, I don't know the answer to your main question.

yes he is...

User avatar
AndrewV
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 176
Joined: Sun, 05 Jun 2011

Re: How long to get citizenship for son born outside SG

Postby AndrewV » Mon, 03 Nov 2014 11:02 am

so technicalities aside, i'm sure a lot of people have done this before
anyone know the rough time frame?


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests