Singapore Expats

Long Term Visit Pass (LTVP) - Common Law Spouse

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
djes005

Long Term Visit Pass (LTVP) - Common Law Spouse

Post by djes005 » Mon, 20 Oct 2014 1:37 pm

Hey all!

First time on here and would really appreciate some advice about applying for a Long Term Visit Pass for my partner. We are not married but fall within the definition of a 'common law' relationship.

We are both NZ citizens and I've landed a job in Singa's. My employer is applying for an Employment Pass (EP) on my behalf.

My partner is keen to work but will look for a job once she's up in Singapore.

Few questions ...

Has anyone been in the situation before?

Is the LTVP the best option?

Any other advice / tips?

Should I use a third party to make the application on my behalf?

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 20 Oct 2014 2:57 pm

Are you same sex? Maybe not so easy. However obtaining a letter from your NZ High Comm stating that you are in a common law marriage (defacto) may help applying for a dependant's pass.

djes005

Post by djes005 » Mon, 20 Oct 2014 3:03 pm

I'm a guy and she's a girl. Does that make it easier?

We are getting a letter from the NZ High Commission, but does it explicitly need to say that Person A and Person B are in a defacto relationship under NZ law?
Dunc

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 20 Oct 2014 3:32 pm

djes005 wrote:I'm a guy and she's a girl. Does that make it easier?

We are getting a letter from the NZ High Commission, but does it explicitly need to say that Person A and Person B are in a defacto relationship under NZ law?
Yes it makes it easier. Ask the High Comm - they will most likely know what to draft.

uscate
Chatter
Chatter

Post by uscate » Mon, 20 Oct 2014 6:29 pm

I'm from the US, and received an LTVP about 2 years ago (my partner's company applied for me). At that time, in addition to notarized proof of common law marriage, I had to submit my resume and proof of my undergrad and grad degrees. And I could not work in Singapore….at…all….

I'm no longer living in Singapore, but I think if anything, the rules against an LTVP holder working have become stricter, not more lenient. Your partner may want to check this out if she needs / wants to work while living in Singapore.

Good luck!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 20 Oct 2014 8:55 pm

djes005 wrote:I'm a guy and she's a girl. Does that make it easier?

It is an interesting question. Some embassies used to 'certify' this kind of thing. But think about it, how do they really know? You can show them a photo of your respective parents all on holiday together, an electricity bill in joint names, but your embassy are not like a quasi police investigative unit ready to work and certify on your behalf.

That said if they'll do it all well and good. And yes the guideline is/was how it's recognised under your home law, in this case 'NZ law'.

Let us know how you get on. This question has been raised before (search for it, which might possibly help give leads/tips), just not very recently that I'm aware of.