Singapore Expats

Has anyone tried Room Service?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Brah
Manager
Manager

Has anyone tried Room Service?

Post by Brah » Fri, 17 Oct 2014 9:13 pm

Not the service in hotels, the food delivery service.

Food + $2 service charge + $9 delivery charge and a $25 minimum.

Pass.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 17 Oct 2014 9:53 pm

Yes, we did a few times some time ago. They are just man in the middle. We ordered some food from one of the Indian restaurant we visited earlier. Average delivery service quality, nothing really good nor bad.
If I remember correctly you can combine the orders based on more than one outlet so some other day we ordered wine from a wine shop and food from another place.

KimchiKid

Post by KimchiKid » Wed, 22 Oct 2014 3:28 pm

I've tried both and i prefer FoodPanda myself.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 22 Oct 2014 5:24 pm

I used them in a few other cities and they have been useful. Especially when you something a little niche and the quality source for it is miles away. Or if you're just lazy, busy, or housebound.

One thing I found was to avoid peak periods. Order on say Friday night and IME you might be waiting a long time for your food.

p.s. I found them unsuitable for things like home delivered Tony Romas ribs, burgers + chips, as those things need to be served fresh. So they're better for things in sauces, curries, stews etc.

Primrose Hill
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Primrose Hill » Thu, 23 Oct 2014 2:27 pm

JR8 wrote:One thing I found was to avoid peak periods. Order on say Friday night and IME you might be waiting a long time for your food.
p.s. I found them unsuitable for things like home delivered Tony Romas ribs, burgers + chips, as those things need to be served fresh. So they're better for things in sauces, curries, stews etc.
Hahahaha. I have used them for Tony Roma and yes it was unsuitable.

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Fri, 24 Oct 2014 11:16 am

I know my friend used to use them to deliver from his Thai Restaurant (Phad Thai for those who know Don), they did the job for him as he didn't need to recruit his own delivery guys. It was fairly pricy from the consumer side if I remember correctly though.
nutnut

hotandhumid

Post by hotandhumid » Fri, 24 Oct 2014 2:25 pm

made the mistake and fell for the persuasive charms of the salesgirl last year

In essence - avoid it like the plague! They mark up the menu prices (~10+% over the actual restaurant menu price), then slap on service charge and GST as well as the delivery fee. So even if you use the attached vouchers (which barely covers the pre-tax delivery fee).

So apart from asking yourself what service they had provided to warrant the service charge, you would end up paying more than if you had dined at the restaurant itself.

now, lets see if they'll troll me for this.
Lets air-condition the entire island please

g-and-r

Re: Has anyone tried Room Service?

Post by g-and-r » Sun, 09 Nov 2014 9:32 pm

We tried Room Service and had two really miserable experiences in a row. We ordered once, waited 2 hours and then they call to tell us that they're cancelling the order because they haven't been able to reach the restaurant.

The most recent experience was really bad. We ordered around 7pm. I called at 8:45pm to find out how much longer the order would take, they said it would be delivered by 9pm. I called again at 9:20 when the order still hadn't showed up and they said the restaurant was busy and the delivery person was leaving now and would be there soon. The food was delivered, at 9:45pm to an address on the other side of the city!!! When I called customer service to find this out, the best they could offer was a credit for a free delivery charge on our next order. As if!

Avoid this place like the plague. Their customer service is shocking.

On the plus side, Food Panda has been very good the few times we've used them.

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Thu, 13 Nov 2014 1:53 pm

I do order food home every so often. So far all the food was delivered with no problems, sometimes it may take hours, but they warn about the service. The only complaint is nobody delivers at night in Singapore. It was very convenient to order anything anywhere any time of the day and night when I was living in Seoul, and get it delivered in 15 minutes at most.

joop
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by joop » Sat, 15 Nov 2014 8:27 pm

sergei82: Totally agree, seems like only McDonalds and KFC offers night deliveries. I tried to figure out Food Panda but it comes out with pretty odd recommendations.
Singapore Expats

Home | Classifieds | Condo | Forum | Property