Singapore Expats Forum

Songs with "Offensive" Lyrics played in Shops

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
User avatar
Barnsley
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2066
Joined: Tue, 10 Jun 2008
Location: Pasir Ris
Contact:

Songs with "Offensive" Lyrics played in Shops

Postby Barnsley » Thu, 16 Oct 2014 5:16 pm

I have just read about Forever 21 playing some songs with lyrics that would seem at odds with their target audience.

Having experienced this in Anchorpoint stationary shop where they were blasting a song "Put your mutha fkin hands up" ad nauseum I often wonder if folks who play songs in what is probably their 2nd or maybe 3rd language understand what the lyrics mean and know whether they are offensive to some folk?

I used get this now and again in France where some lunchtime f-bombs used to be dropped in songs on lunchtime radio...It was quite a surprise I can tell you.
Life is short, paddle harder!!

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34270
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 16 Oct 2014 5:34 pm

You of all people should know that they only have a rudimentary grasp of words that are sung. You've ready enough bad lyrics on Karaoke screens I reckon. They normally don't have a clue. Even those who are English educated here have problem with the sung word, let along if it's been garbbled up in hip hop crap noise. Some of the stuff that just waltzes by the TV censors is mindboggling as well on occasion.

User avatar
BillyB
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1807
Joined: Fri, 23 Jul 2010
Location: My laptop

Postby BillyB » Thu, 16 Oct 2014 5:58 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:You of all people should know that they only have a rudimentary grasp of words that are sung. You've ready enough bad lyrics on Karaoke screens I reckon. They normally don't have a clue. Even those who are English educated here have problem with the sung word, let along if it's been garbbled up in hip hop crap noise. Some of the stuff that just waltzes by the TV censors is mindboggling as well on occasion.


Sh*t, ar*e and b*stard will get censored, but CU Next Tuesday has been known on numerous occasions to escape the censors!

User avatar
ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1650
Joined: Wed, 29 Nov 2006
Location: A More Lucky Spot

Postby ScoobyDoes » Thu, 16 Oct 2014 6:11 pm

They have no friggen idea.

Clueless, witless, dumb as dishwater each and every single one of them. Half of them never listen to the songs going over and over and over again through the day and I doubt one in a hundred even listened the first time.

Stick with radio, much safer.
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

The Ref
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 197
Joined: Wed, 19 May 2010

Postby The Ref » Thu, 16 Oct 2014 6:58 pm

At my previous job the girls in the employee café used to play a song with VERY "normally censored" lyrics. I cant remember the song but I remember hearing it the first time and thinking I heard it wrong.

Also on the radio the other day I heard a great song, about a guy who met a girl and wanted to see her again. The song went "if you see Kay" ;-)

I think a lot of shops just play something from the Internet and don't really think of the words in them.

bgd
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1176
Joined: Wed, 25 Jul 2007

Postby bgd » Thu, 16 Oct 2014 7:08 pm

In a branch of Cedeles I once pointed out to the staff that their music was being played at the wrong speed. They pointed out that it was Alvin and his damned Chipmunks. :?

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Fri, 17 Oct 2014 5:41 am

http://youtu.be/mVCh6Xp_VD8

...but they don't claim everyone speaks English.

User avatar
rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2789
Joined: Sat, 24 Nov 2012
Location: Singapore

Postby rajagainstthemachine » Fri, 17 Oct 2014 7:00 am

What also irks me is all the friggin songs sound happy in a plastic kind of way, how about some anger or hate or aggression or depression or repression?

I'm also sick and mentally tired of hearing that I'm happy again song. Someone asked me don't you like this song? I said I'd rather gouge my eyes out with an Ebola infected spoon.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5239
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Midgar

Postby the lynx » Fri, 17 Oct 2014 8:44 am

If the music is bad, chances are that the music video is ten times worse.

If you think Sir Mix-A-Lot's Baby's Got Back is bad, Nicki Minaj's cover version titled Anaconda can make your ears bleed. Everything about it is catastrophic. Unless you want to porno fix, don't even bother to watch her music video.

pisceangirl
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 173
Joined: Fri, 06 Sep 2013

Postby pisceangirl » Fri, 17 Oct 2014 5:50 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:
I'm also sick and mentally tired of hearing that I'm happy again song. Someone asked me don't you like this song? I said I'd rather gouge my eyes out with an Ebola infected spoon.


Because you're happy? :P :twisted: :cool:
Don't get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are. (Tupac)

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9286
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Fri, 17 Oct 2014 8:01 pm

the lynx wrote:If the music is bad, chances are that the music video is ten times worse.

If you think Sir Mix-A-Lot's Baby's Got Back is bad, Nicki Minaj's cover version titled Anaconda can make your ears bleed. Everything about it is catastrophic. Unless you want to porno fix, don't even bother to watch her music video.


my back, my back ... lick my .. isn't too bad I guess ;)

User avatar
Brah
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1956
Joined: Sat, 18 Dec 2010

Postby Brah » Fri, 17 Oct 2014 10:14 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:What also irks me is all the friggin songs sound happy in a plastic kind of way, how about some anger or hate or aggression or depression or repression?

I'm also sick and mentally tired of hearing that I'm happy again song. Someone asked me don't you like this song? I said I'd rather gouge my eyes out with an Ebola infected spoon.

I don't care for those either, a bunch of false angst.

But are you talking about the Pharrell Williams song?

I heard his after I heard this, which is pretty cool:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxODzxY6AvI

User avatar
rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2789
Joined: Sat, 24 Nov 2012
Location: Singapore

Postby rajagainstthemachine » Mon, 20 Oct 2014 10:15 am

Brah wrote:
rajagainstthemachine wrote:What also irks me is all the friggin songs sound happy in a plastic kind of way, how about some anger or hate or aggression or depression or repression?

I'm also sick and mentally tired of hearing that I'm happy again song. Someone asked me don't you like this song? I said I'd rather gouge my eyes out with an Ebola infected spoon.

I don't care for those either, a bunch of false angst.

But are you talking about the Pharrell Williams song?

I heard his after I heard this, which is pretty cool:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxODzxY6AvI


yes that song and uggh come on guys, please lets move along shall we? yes that song's catchy, but there are literally hundreds of other songs to play to break this monotony.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

User avatar
Brah
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1956
Joined: Sat, 18 Dec 2010

Postby Brah » Mon, 20 Oct 2014 10:07 pm

Agree re the song itself, it was more about the looping tech the guy used to make that clip. Plus he's a great player.

I was surprised how many others did similar things with that song on YT, looping is really taking off these days though it's nothing new.

For example, this from 1979:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HHjJG7yWBE#t=4m10s

TBH, that trombone clip was the first time I heard the song, about a month ago, and I only hear the original once and after that.....


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Latest News & Current Affairs”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests