Singapore Expats

The latest market fall

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

The latest market fall

Post by Wd40 » Wed, 15 Oct 2014 8:26 pm

After a long time the stock markets are falling. Oil is falling really badly. Europe is falling like crazy. Anybody buying anything in this fall? :)

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Wed, 15 Oct 2014 10:27 pm

I maybe should have bought Apple a few weeks back....

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 15 Oct 2014 11:20 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A50ButV1IAs
Open Outcty (PBS) - Part 1

Love it. It gets something of the tension and the loonies spit/flecking in your face.

-------------------
-------------------
Meanwhile today ...

p.s. I bot maybe £500k today. Don't know, we'll judge the damage tomorrow :)... But 5.5-6%, locked in, from FTSE chips.... that's nice for the mythical future pension

Beeroclock
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Beeroclock » Thu, 16 Oct 2014 12:10 am

I was just thinking about buying some Aussie shares tmr when the market will surely fall 1-2% following the US/ftse etc.

After ASX correcting 10% plus the aud correction, Australia equities are much better value nowadays. Maybe not the bottom but as jr8 mentions, equities yields are attractive and interest rates seem like they will be staying low for a long while to come.......

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 16 Oct 2014 12:26 am

You're never going to 'buy the bottom'. I'm being raped on your aunties dream retirement shares, and so bought in pretty big tooooodaaaay!!!.

5 years down the road... others will look at me and sneer, like this was so freakin easy .... lol

[Fortunate position - Not giving a fcuk - /fortunate]

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Thu, 16 Oct 2014 1:29 am

JR8 wrote:You're never going to 'buy the bottom'.
That's true. It's virtually impossible to time things to enter the market right in the middle of the trough. And no matter when you enter the market, you will still make your money because sooner or later there will always be new, historic heights achieved.

But I would still wait for things to get really messy before going in. Stock market crashes will continue to happen in history and even if you can never time things to perfection, at least wait for $hit to hit the fan first. :)

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 16 Oct 2014 10:30 am

aster wrote:
That's true. It's virtually impossible to time things to enter the market right in the middle of the trough. And no matter when you enter the market, you will still make your money because sooner or later there will always be new, historic heights achieved.

But I would still wait for things to get really messy before going in. Stock market crashes will continue to happen in history and even if you can never time things to perfection, at least wait for $hit to hit the fan first. :)
I topped up some holdings last week. It felt right and fine. The markets have been battered, I got a good deal. Of course this week has been even $hittier, phhh, making last weeks buys expensive, so I bought some more lol... and on.

But it doesn't really matter. In my outlook a) I'm not going to somehow magicly divine some stock that the entire rest of the market doesn't know about b) So, I buy for solid quality income. When you do that, it seems the share price will follow. So for example, on a UK stock I may buy it (essentially a div-income stream) on say 4.5-5.5%. In the long-term the share price is 2ndary, incidental, irrelevant if you like; as long as the company keep doing it's thing, and paying divs.

HSBC special bank account pays 1.25% (with loadsa smallprint)

Buy HSBC stock itself, and it is currently yielding 5.0% -> 300% more.

The goat opines: What to do huh/duh!!

8-) :cool: :lol:

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 16 Oct 2014 10:49 am

JR8 wrote:
aster wrote:

I topped up some holdings last week. It felt right and fine. The markets have been battered, I got a good deal. Of course this week has been even $hittier, phhh, making last weeks buys expensive, so I bought some more lol... and on.

But it doesn't really matter. In my outlook a) I'm not going to somehow magicly divine some stock that the entire rest of the market doesn't know about b) So, I buy for solid quality income. When you do that, it seems the share price will follow. So for example, on a UK stock I may buy it (essentially a div-income stream) on say 4.5-5.5%. In the long-term the share price is 2ndary, incidental, irrelevant if you like; as long as the company keep doing it's thing, and paying divs.

HSBC special bank account pays 1.25% (with loadsa smallprint)

Buy HSBC stock itself, and it is currently yielding 5.0% -> 300% more.

The goat opines: What to do huh/duh!!

8-) :cool: :lol:
+1 - getting to a good time to buy some solid dividend stocks.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Thu, 16 Oct 2014 10:50 am

I just put $10k in LionGlobal Japan growth fund, lets see how it goes :)

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Post by BillyB » Thu, 16 Oct 2014 11:01 am

Wd40 wrote:I just put $10k in LionGlobal Japan growth fund, lets see how it goes :)
]
That's an oxymoron....

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 16 Oct 2014 11:06 am

PNGMK wrote:+1 - getting to a good time to buy some solid dividend stocks.
For you 'Oilers', Royal Dutch Shell [RDSB] on 4.8% (Forecast Yield).

Amec, Oil Services, on 4.1%

For an Aussie bent, I had Billiton (BHP/mining), but after several years grew bored of them. In it's place I have RIO/Rio Tinto FY > 4.4%.

But the point is, get yourself say 20-odd of such (diversified) stalwarts and 'invest and forget'. It'll probably do better, long-term, than any other investment product out there, and you remain in 100% control with almost nil fees...

[Miners/oilers are somewhat slow and steady, which is fine. My aggregate yield FWIW over say 25 stocks in 5.4%].

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 16 Oct 2014 11:08 am

Wd40 wrote:I just put $10k in LionGlobal Japan growth fund, lets see how it goes :)
You're treating it like roulette., drama seeking.

You will lose.

[I did similar 20 years ago with a Japanese equity fund warrant. Fkd. Lesson learned though.... don't go for promises and drama... go for boring but reliable... like your mama always said about your prospective wife hehe... ]

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Thu, 16 Oct 2014 12:45 pm

JR8 wrote:
You're treating it like roulette., drama seeking.

You will lose.

[I did similar 20 years ago with a Japanese equity fund warrant. Fkd. Lesson learned though.... don't go for promises and drama... go for boring but reliable... like your mama always said about your prospective wife hehe... ]
Thanks. Cancelled the order and bought $10k of this instead:
https://sg.morningstar.com/ap/quicktake ... 0P0000A0SO

Still have until 3PM to amend the order ;)

Primrose Hill
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Primrose Hill » Thu, 16 Oct 2014 3:14 pm

thinking about some petchem and maybe some smaller oil not the royal dutch shell thingies. or chemicals?

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Thu, 16 Oct 2014 5:43 pm

Surprised the markets are still falling. Europe has again opened in Red. I thought after US markets pared losses yesterday night, Asia and Europe should start moving up. But no. Now it looks like US will follow Asia and European cues and we will have losses there as well. It will be interesting to see when this stops.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-10-1 ... h-oil.html