Singapore Expats

Apple finishes Finnish economy

Chats, Flames, Jokes, Junks. Don't know where to post ? You've just found the right place.
JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Apple finishes Finnish economy

Post by JR8 » Tue, 14 Oct 2014 11:27 am

'Alexander Stubb, Finland's prime minister, said Monday Apple was to blame for the demise of the country's two biggest industries, which resulted to an economic downturn and a ratings downgrade for the Scandinavian country.' [article continues]
http://www.digitallook.com/news/interna ... 07795.html

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 14 Oct 2014 11:35 am

Strangely, this Mr Stubb continually misspells the word "complacency" as "A-p-p-l-e". You'd think with all freed up labor available they could hire a spell checker. :cool:

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 14 Oct 2014 11:38 am

I don't really defend Apple but most people in the tech industry know that Nokia was caught asleep on the wheel. They tried to recover but Elop sold them out and now Microsoft would be killing the Nokia mobile phone branding.

And in the Finn's defense, they're just using the scenario to rally the troops. So, it's mostly just some writer with clickbait headlines.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Tue, 14 Oct 2014 12:06 pm

Is he saying that the Finnish are finished :mrgreen: ? There lies the rub. One should always diversify and not put one's eggs in one basket.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Mon, 20 Oct 2014 10:23 am

nakatago wrote:I don't really defend Apple but most people in the tech industry know that Nokia was caught asleep on the wheel. They tried to recover but Elop sold them out and now Microsoft would be killing the Nokia mobile phone branding.

And in the Finn's defense, they're just using the scenario to rally the troops. So, it's mostly just some writer with clickbait headlines.
I bought a Nokia Windows phone recently, got the Lumia 820, export set for real cheap $180. I was bored of android and iPhone is something I wont buy, you know why :). Now that I am in the Windows camp, I did some reading on Nokia and MSFT. Its a very interesting story and a nice history of Nokia platforms that were recently killed by MSFT to grow their windows platform.

I would be very keen for the Windows platform to succeed and MSFT do something with their phone even better than what Apple has done with their HW/SW combination.

BTW, I was at a store yesterday and got my hands on the Note 4 and Galaxy Alpha. Both really cool phones, design-wise. Samsung is not dead yet, like some people were speculating after the new iPhone launches.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Mon, 20 Oct 2014 10:28 am

wd40's on a splurging spree lately, stocks, phones, tablets
win the lottery did you? 8-)
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Mon, 20 Oct 2014 10:31 am

Haha, no I was due for a phone change :) Stocks is not splurging. If I sell the fund I bought, at the end of this week, the gains will fund the purchase of my phone ;)
Last edited by Wd40 on Mon, 20 Oct 2014 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Mon, 20 Oct 2014 10:39 am

Wd40 wrote:Samsung is not dead yet, like some people were speculating after the new iPhone launches.
Those were probably the same people who proclaim doom and gloom when a company's share price drop by half a point.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 20 Oct 2014 10:41 am

Wd40 wrote:I bought a Nokia Windows phone recently, got the Lumia 820, export set for real cheap $180. I was bored of android and iPhone is something I wont buy, you know why :). Now that I am in the Windows camp, I did some reading on Nokia and MSFT. Its a very interesting story and a nice history of Nokia platforms that were recently killed by MSFT to grow their windows platform.
matter of fact, Symbian still has releases for Whatsapp and Facebook, on the Nokia Store ..

I wonder if Nokia should have retained their 'core' phone business, of Symbian / Asha series phones !!!

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 20 Oct 2014 10:46 am

nakatago wrote:
Wd40 wrote:Samsung is not dead yet, like some people were speculating after the new iPhone launches.
Those were probably the same people who proclaim doom and gloom when a company's share price drop by half a point.
Samsung's software platform will kill them, and cause unwarranted collateral damage to Android. Too many of the people buying Samsung devices don't know to separate TouchWiz from Android.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 20 Oct 2014 11:11 am

zzm9980 wrote:
nakatago wrote:
Samsung's software platform will kill them, and cause unwarranted collateral damage to Android. Too many of the people buying Samsung devices don't know to separate TouchWiz from Android.
Kind of have to agree. Just bought the LG G3... the interface is so much better that Touchwiz that I have no desire to switch launchers or most other apps.

Accuweather continues to suck, however.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 20 Oct 2014 11:50 am

Strong Eagle wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:
nakatago wrote: Those were probably the same people who proclaim doom and gloom when a company's share price drop by half a point.
Kind of have to agree. Just bought the LG G3... the interface is so much better that Touchwiz that I have no desire to switch launchers or most other apps.

Accuweather continues to suck, however.
Yep. Everyone I know that loved their Galaxy S2s and S3s have moved to Sony Xperias, HTC Ones, or Moto Xs. And yes, some iPhones.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 20 Oct 2014 11:54 am

Wd40 wrote: and iPhone is something I wont buy, you know why :)
Because you wasted all of your money on brokerage fees for crappy funds that strangers on the forum convinced you to drop a day later? Or because you're too cheap? :) Instead you're stuck with a closed-garden platform that has *no* developer support. The worst of both worlds.

I really see you as the guy who will go down with the ship, hating on the iPhone. Then the day you finally buy one, you'll be singing (and posting) its praises like it is god's newest gift to the world and as if no one else has ever used one before. :P

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Mon, 20 Oct 2014 12:34 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
nakatago wrote:
I hate TouchWiz with a passion. I couldn't believe my simple clock app couldn't get enough memory from TouchWiz. I checked the internet and I wasn't the only one who had that problem.

And I don't what type of shenanigans Samsung is up to. My sister's been complaining about her Note 2 getting bogged down. Also, one version of Note 2 in one suburb has a different update pipeline from another. So even if you get the "same" model, it may still be a different model number and you'll end up with no updates. I'm so glad I didn't get the NotePro.

That's from both a user AND a developer point of view.

I soooo want other OEMs to step up to the plate because Samsung has crap software development guidelines. Motorola and Sony are doing very good work, followed closely by HTC and recommend phones from them rather than Samsung.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Mon, 20 Oct 2014 12:40 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
Wd40 wrote: and iPhone is something I wont buy, you know why :)
Because you wasted all of your money on brokerage fees for crappy funds that strangers on the forum convinced you to drop a day later? Or because you're too cheap? :) Instead you're stuck with a closed-garden platform that has *no* developer support. The worst of both worlds.

I really see you as the guy who will go down with the ship, hating on the iPhone. Then the day you finally buy one, you'll be singing (and posting) its praises like it is god's newest gift to the world and as if no one else has ever used one before. :P
Dude, you know nothing about investing if you think losing money on brokerage fees is the worst thing that can happen in your investment journey. But still, the brokerage fees on fundsupermart is 0.5%. I don't think if you buy stocks directly you can get it this cheap can you? There is an annual fund management fee of 2%. But who is going to hold the fund for a whole year :)

https://secure.fundsupermart.com/main/h ... cture.svdo

You can call me cheap though, I don't feel bad one bit :) I am happy with what my windows phone does. It doesn't have any of the Google apps, which kind of surprised me. No Youtube, no Gmail. The email client in the phone lets me connect to my gmail so no issues. I am not a big fan of youtube on mobile, so it doesn't bother me.

The good part about windows OS is that its much better with memory management than Android. The 1GB RAM on my phone feels as good as 2GB on Android. Also I like the tiles feature rather than fixed App Icons that come with Android and iPhone.
Last edited by Wd40 on Mon, 20 Oct 2014 12:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.