Singapore Expats

7800 SGD in Singapore- Good enough?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 13 Oct 2014 12:25 am

sgheou wrote:http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/nri/ ... 534786.cms

This article surprised me :(.. I understand Singapore is much more accommodative to foreigners than other countries (I dont really believe this newspaper though and we also do not cook smelly curries :) )
Interesting article. The commenters seem evenly split with agreeing and disagreeing too, which I find nice. In Singapore locals would be 99%/1% against the foreigners whether the subject matter was true or not.
you have no idea what they like and don't like. So it is better you do not comment. We Indians create a mess of the houses in which we stay, so it is not surprising that we have problem. Even Indian tourists are one of the most disliked lot all over the world as we are rude, abusive, penny pinching lot.of course there are exceptions but the perception is created by the majority.
Agree with wd40 though, you won't have too much of a problem. I'd be surprised if more than 25% of the units had such wording in the ad.

sgheou

Post by sgheou » Fri, 17 Oct 2014 1:35 pm

thank you very much for your suggestions guys.. God willing, I will be in Singapore in December.. Thanks for all your inputs...
I have been provided 15 days accomodation.. Is that good enough time to finalize the property in tampines? Also, i understand i need to pay a month's advance rent and also commision to the broker.. So for the first month, i need to pay two months of rent + brokerage.. Is that correct? Is there a way to avoid brokers and connect with the owner's directly..

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Fri, 17 Oct 2014 2:06 pm

sgheou wrote:thank you very much for your suggestions guys.. God willing, I will be in Singapore in December.. Thanks for all your inputs...
I have been provided 15 days accomodation.. Is that good enough time to finalize the property in tampines? Also, i understand i need to pay a month's advance rent and also commision to the broker.. So for the first month, i need to pay two months of rent + brokerage.. Is that correct? Is there a way to avoid brokers and connect with the owner's directly..
You only pay if you engage an agent.
Life is short, paddle harder!!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 17 Oct 2014 5:10 pm

Wd40 wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:I don't see why Indians need tiffin carriers delivered to your door daily, but they do that as well. :???:
Maybe its something to do with the notion of "home cooked food". In India restaurants are perceived as unhealthy. I don't know, but I never needed. I always like to go to food court/restaurant and eat rather than someone deliver to me.
Nothing like granmas, aunties, or mamas food. And since they all likely live with you they insist on you having home cooked food. But no no don't trouble yourself by carrying it, they'll wait until an hour or two after you've departed and have the tiffin carrier network forward it door to door.

p.s. Many Indian restaurants in the UK are perceived as unhealthy too
:twisted: :P :lol:

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Fri, 17 Oct 2014 5:33 pm

The carrier n/w thing is somehow hyped up, its only in Mumbai and its a new thing, not something of a norm in India. Also there is some logic in using it instead of carrying with you. Indian food, needs to be had hot. You can heat it in Microwave, but its not the same. This is main reason why I prefer eating out rather than carrying from home. But I know plenty of Indians who carry tiffin boxes with them, especially those that have a wife at home.