Singapore Expats

Renting a condo - changing lighting and wallapaper

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
Goldy740

Renting a condo - changing lighting and wallapaper

Post by Goldy740 » Thu, 09 Oct 2014 1:28 pm

we have just moved into a new condo which we like except for the lighting and the white walls throughout. As long as we leave the condo the same as when we moved in then we can change things like lighting and we can put up wallpaper, is that correct?

the lighting is florescent so it's really unrelaxing and we're going to be there for 2 years so it seems unthinkable not to be able to make some changes...

anyone else been through something similar or have any shared experiences?

Search By

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Renting a condo - changing lighting and wallapaper

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 09 Oct 2014 1:40 pm

Goldy740 wrote:we have just moved into a new condo which we like except for the lighting and the white walls throughout. As long as we leave the condo the same as when we moved in then we can change things like lighting and we can put up wallpaper, is that correct?

the lighting is florescent so it's really unrelaxing and we're going to be there for 2 years so it seems unthinkable not to be able to make some changes...

wallpaper unlikely will go down well

lighting / fan etc I have changed and informed the LL and when leaving atleast one land offered to pay for the LED light I used instead of the Fluorescent light

others never bothered

changing wallpaper etc may set you up for damages as most LL have spent a bomb in renovation and tend to take stuff like that personally

best is to ask your LL

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Thu, 09 Oct 2014 5:00 pm

We changed all the lights here they had those nasty low energy/ fluorescent ones that made the place look like a morgue. I am always dismayed how people have lovely apartments/ houses and they just stick a single light fitting in the middle or one in each corner of the room. For me decent lighting it is what makes or breaks a place.

Once a wall is wall papered its very difficult to get it back to the original finish, in the last place we made a stud and plasterboard wall in key areas in front of the original wall and papered that, and made it into a sort of feature wall. You can try those easy peel removable wall coverings?

You can also run wires and low level wall lights etc in the new wall without having to hack the original walls. When we left, tore down the wall and left the place like we found it.

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Thu, 09 Oct 2014 7:22 pm

There is a reason why nobody has wallpaper in Singapore:
The tropical humidity will make it mould and decolorize in no time, folloowed by it falling off the wall when the glue has disintegrated.
Just go with whatever wall finish (most probably non-moulding paint) your landlord put there!

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 09 Oct 2014 7:26 pm

1.Lots of floor mounted lighting (European style - up lights).
2.Hand beautiful rugs and pictures. Wallpaper is not popular here because it, inevitably, goes mouldy.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 09 Oct 2014 8:24 pm

The other option is wall coverings. These are printed on vinyl with adhesive backs and can be removed. Most are washable (on the wall). I don't have any at the moment but had a couple in another place (a semi-detached up near where SE used to live).

http://www.pinnaclewallarts.com/
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Renting a condo - changing lighting and wallapaper

Post by JR8 » Thu, 09 Oct 2014 8:24 pm

Goldy740 wrote:we have just moved into a new condo which we like except for the lighting and the white walls throughout. As long as we leave the condo the same as when we moved in then we can change things like lighting and we can put up wallpaper, is that correct?

Leaving the condo the same as was is one thing, but there are still hurdles that most landlords won't accept. Redecorating what they consider 'perfectly good' being one of them. Wallpaper, in this rather minimalist day and age, being something of an unusual request.

'We've just moved in'. So you've signed the TA? In that case there is no reason or motivation for the LL to allow you to change anything.

Goldy740

Post by Goldy740 » Sat, 11 Oct 2014 11:35 am

thanks all. will not be wallpapering but am simply going to change the bulbs in the lights, can't deal with this sweat shop ambience (i find it hard to imagine anyone wanting that in a home but to each their own) and will get some wall art which, the pinnacle wall art is a great idea

just need to get some furniture now, where to start...

much obliged to you all for you sage words of advice

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 11 Oct 2014 12:12 pm

Goldy740 wrote:thanks all. will not be wallpapering but am simply going to change the bulbs in the lights, can't deal with this sweat shop ambience (i find it hard to imagine anyone wanting that in a home but to each their own) and will get some wall art which, the pinnacle wall art is a great idea

just need to get some furniture now, where to start...

much obliged to you all for you sage words of advice
We always removed the original lights whenever it didn't suit us and had never any problems with it (of course all was restored after). More-over, we requested 2-3 times to have them removed and it was done by the landlord (LL).
It is for you a bit too late this time, but normally you can get a good feeling what is the attitude of the LL towards this kind of changes before signing anything. There are some (but not so many) indeed who are just unbelievable. It shows pretty immediately once you enter their apartment - they will start talking about the designers flat and everything will be in art-deco / baroque nouveau riche style. Or worse. Then you just ask such LL if he can remove this and that and this will be the end of the visit.

For furniture, use the search function first - there was a number of related threads some time ago. In short, there is Ikea, there are a few furniture malls. Without knowing your budget and preferences hard to advise.

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Sat, 11 Oct 2014 3:40 pm

Most locals prefer lighting with fluorescent tubes or similar, because it feels "cclder" than other lamps.
Unlike our home countries, which are cold much of the year and thus require warmth in the home, in Singapore you need as much cold as you can get (even if it's only psychological).