Singapore Expats Forum

Christmas is coming

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Steve1960
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1106
Joined: Mon, 13 Aug 2012
Location: Singapore

Christmas is coming

Postby Steve1960 » Thu, 09 Oct 2014 7:18 am

Anyone seen Christmas wrapping paper in the shops yet? Due to the imminent arrival of our second daughter we already did the Christmas shopping for the 4 year old and I was hoping to get the gifts all wrapped early but can't find anyone selling paper yet.

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Thu, 09 Oct 2014 7:32 am

I personally am partial to solid colors or non-glossy paper when wrapping gifts. If I can't find the latter (because for some reason, most wrapping paper is glossy), I just buy colored paper from arts and crafts stores. Wrapping paper comes out cheaper and my wrapped gifts have more character.

Sometimes, I'd use brown paper bags (or a similar material) and put a paper bow out of colored paper.

Moreover, if the little one likes unwrapping gifts, you could wrap the gift first in several layers of newspaper and then the wrapping paper, just to see how long she takes to unwrap the gift, to build the suspense.

Just an idea. :wink:

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9320
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Thu, 09 Oct 2014 7:42 am

Spotlight is always first one to try and if I am not mistaken I saw recently such paper in Mothercare. Other than this, I would check Cold Storage.

Steve1960
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1106
Joined: Mon, 13 Aug 2012
Location: Singapore

Postby Steve1960 » Thu, 09 Oct 2014 7:43 am

nakatago wrote:I personally am partial to solid colors or non-glossy paper when wrapping gifts. If I can't find the latter (because for some reason, most wrapping paper is glossy), I just buy colored paper from arts and crafts stores. Wrapping paper comes out cheaper and my wrapped gifts have more character.

Sometimes, I'd use brown paper bags (or a similar material) and put a paper bow out of colored paper.

Moreover, if the little one likes unwrapping gifts, you could wrap the gift first in several layers of newspaper and then the wrapping paper, just to see how long she takes to unwrap the gift, to build the suspense.

Just an idea. :wink:


Thank you I like the idea of plain glossy paper that would work. Will be off to get some at lunch time.

Not so sure I like the idea of a 4 year old with black newspaper print all over her hands for Christmas Day :wink:

Steve1960
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1106
Joined: Mon, 13 Aug 2012
Location: Singapore

Postby Steve1960 » Thu, 09 Oct 2014 7:45 am

x9200 wrote:Spotlight is always first one to try and if I am not mistaken I saw recently such paper in Mothercare. Other than this, I would check Cold Storage.


Another good idea thank you I forgot about Cold Storage. Their 'foreigner focus' might mean they have stock early.

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Thu, 09 Oct 2014 7:53 am

Steve1960 wrote:Not so sure I like the idea of a 4 year old with black newspaper print all over her hands for Christmas Day :wink:


Junk mail works as well :wink:

Steve1960
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1106
Joined: Mon, 13 Aug 2012
Location: Singapore

Postby Steve1960 » Thu, 09 Oct 2014 8:01 am

nakatago wrote:
Steve1960 wrote:Not so sure I like the idea of a 4 year old with black newspaper print all over her hands for Christmas Day :wink:


Junk mail works as well :wink:


haha like it when my wife receives her Xmas gifts I will be sure to tell her it was your idea to wrap them in junk mail :wink:

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Thu, 09 Oct 2014 8:12 am

Steve1960 wrote:
nakatago wrote:
Steve1960 wrote:Not so sure I like the idea of a 4 year old with black newspaper print all over her hands for Christmas Day :wink:


Junk mail works as well :wink:


haha like it when my wife receives her Xmas gifts I will be sure to tell her it was your idea to wrap them in junk mail :wink:


Of course, the last layer would be wrapping paper.

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5272
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Postby the lynx » Thu, 09 Oct 2014 9:20 am

Art Friend in Bras Basah Complex and Clementi may have them this early. The Takashimaya outlet has moved.

Primrose Hill
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 433
Joined: Tue, 05 Aug 2008

Postby Primrose Hill » Thu, 09 Oct 2014 10:13 am

the lynx wrote:Art Friend in Bras Basah Complex and Clementi may have them this early. The Takashimaya outlet has moved.

I miss Art Friend Takashimaya, do you know where they have moved to?

I saw Christmas stuff at I wanna go home and Lim's

The Ref
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 275
Joined: Wed, 19 May 2010

Ignore the cold storage and expat focussed stores

Postby The Ref » Thu, 09 Oct 2014 10:39 am

There are many local focussed stores that have wrapping paper very cheap. The range is "interesting" and there are only a few of the designs I would go near, but looking at around 80c a sheet.

There are 2 outside the food court at Clementi but I have seen them in many other places. I cant think of the name.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Thu, 09 Oct 2014 11:28 am

Steve1960 wrote:Not so sure I like the idea of a 4 year old with black newspaper print all over her hands for Christmas Day :wink:


Use a UK newspaper, no ink residue on the fingers.

In fact your post made me realise that it's years since I got inky fingers from reading a newspaper!

p.s. Over-wrapping stuff can be fun with young children. Take a small gift, wrap in newspaper (a few sheets, round and around), then clingfilm, then newspaper, then a wrap in tin-foil, then newspaper....etc*5-6 ... and finally in gift-wrapping. So they unwrap down and down, and their imagined gift gets smaller and smaller, until the end when they find (hopefully) that it's something small but really nice :)

User avatar
QRM
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1831
Joined: Mon, 17 Oct 2005
Location: Nassim hill

Postby QRM » Thu, 09 Oct 2014 11:57 am

lol if i was a kid and a huge box arrived only to find a single moshi monster in it I would be upset! :lol:

Bit like cereal packets these days half of it is empty and the small print says its because of " settlement"

Now if you do it the other way round get a small box and its a key or a map to something bigger around the corner....

Steve1960
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1106
Joined: Mon, 13 Aug 2012
Location: Singapore

Postby Steve1960 » Thu, 09 Oct 2014 12:55 pm

Having read the risque posts on lesbian friends and annoying room mates, now some of the suggestions for mentally torturing my daughter at Christmas I am really starting to worry about some of you guys..........................

Just joking :wink:

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Thu, 09 Oct 2014 2:06 pm

QRM wrote:Now if you do it the other way round get a small box and its a key or a map to something bigger around the corner....


I've done that too. Bought gifts but then hidden them in say the garden, roof, shed, etc. Then simply given an Xmas card and glued inside a cross-word, a blend of slightly cryptic/lateral and concise clues, (that's simple to put together in Excel) that via the answers to c12 clues would lead the recipient step by step to the gift. Obviously you pitch it at the audience, so it's intended to be pretty easy and fun, but maybe requires just a little thought.

No idea where that idea came from, it was maybe 20-30 years ago now...


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests