Singapore Expats Forum

English for expert tips

Events and gatherings for the 20's Club
Rubik Azariah

English for expert tips

Postby Rubik Azariah » Mon, 06 Oct 2014 11:53 pm

No grammar faux pas there.

I am a young ad exec (32 for those counting) with a creative background who has just landed in Singapore. Am looking for people who want to get together to improve their English pronunciation and vocabulary. As an English writer by profession I can help. In exchange I am looking for an exchange of local know how about all things Singapore.

Akimbo
Reporter
Reporter

Re: English for expert tips

Postby Akimbo » Tue, 07 Oct 2014 9:32 am

Rubik Azariah wrote:No grammar faux pas there.

I am a young ad exec (32 for those counting) with a creative background who has just landed in Singapore. Am looking for people who want to get together to improve their English pronunciation and vocabulary. As an English writer by profession I can help. In exchange I am looking for an exchange of local know how about all things Singapore.

Question...since you are an English writer, I hope you can shed some light on this. (forum regulars, help me out here also if you see this) for some inexplicable reason, I've been seeing this "grammar error" and it has been bugging me for the longest time...why is it that some people just choose to remove the "I" from "I am"?

Is it to write faster? Why not just abbreviate everything else?
My thread...The Weekenders If you need my e-mail address, it's in the first post of the thread.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 07 Oct 2014 9:51 am

Touché :lol:

Akimbo
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Akimbo » Tue, 07 Oct 2014 10:02 am

I wasn't poking fun on the irony of his post, SMS... (Not entirely anyway :P)

I'm genuinely curious!
My thread...The Weekenders If you need my e-mail address, it's in the first post of the thread.

Rubik Azariah

Interesting

Postby Rubik Azariah » Tue, 07 Oct 2014 9:33 pm

Wouldn't have thought of that till you pointed that out. Thanks. I learn something new every day :-D a colloquialism that's become the norm perhaps. Sometimes I've seen it be very difficult to argue with a client when things sound colloquially correct but may not actually be so. Sometimes we omit just to avoid two sentences staring in the same way. Thanks again.