Singapore Expats

You can apply after x years of being a permanent resident

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
blessedone
Regular
Regular

You can apply after x years of being a permanent resident

Post by blessedone » Mon, 06 Oct 2014 9:01 am

What does this statement really mean? I refer to the letter received when you are informed that the formalities for PR need to be completed

Why I ask?
my friend has been in Singapore for 8 years - director in an MNC, needs to travel for work. 2nd Rep done with success. Singapore citizenship pending and when he visited the ICA, he was told, he will be rejected because of travel and being away

another friend received a letter saying she can apply for SC after 2 years of being a PR, she has received her SC already

so how does this work?

Siv
Regular
Regular

Post by Siv » Mon, 06 Oct 2014 10:21 am

What are the nationalities of your first and second friend you mentioned ?

blessedone
Regular
Regular

Post by blessedone » Mon, 06 Oct 2014 10:51 am

Siv wrote:What are the nationalities of your first and second friend you mentioned ?
My bad!

1. Indian Male, high position definitely earning >200k a year min, with 100k in bonuses and up
2. Indian female, in her early 30s, single, finance professional, AVP level in a famous SG bank

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 06 Oct 2014 12:46 pm

blessedone wrote:
Siv wrote:What are the nationalities of your first and second friend you mentioned ?
My bad!

1. Indian Male, high position definitely earning >200k a year min, with 100k in bonuses and up
2. Indian female, in her early 30s, single, finance professional, AVP level in a famous SG bank
That one is easy. Indian male earning over 200K/pa, probably in the financial services sector, will not stay in Singapore but will follow the money so giving him PR is a waste of time as it will only be abused, full stop.

The Indian female, working for local bank, good chance of marrying a local and producing Singaporeans. (Whether or not that actually happens is up in the air of course, but it is probably a lot more likely than the male placing "roots" here.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

blessedone
Regular
Regular

Post by blessedone » Mon, 06 Oct 2014 2:11 pm

so the x years before you can apply thing has no weight then and is primarily an indicator for? what again?

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Mon, 06 Oct 2014 2:21 pm

blessedone wrote:so the x years before you can apply thing has no weight then and is primarily an indicator for? what again?
Its not a variable X. It is 2. Everyone who gets PR gets the same thing written in their letter regarding citizenship application. 2 years is the minimum requirement not a guaranteed timeframe.

http://www.mfa.gov.sg/content/mfa/overs ... nship.html

Persons who are at least 21 years of age and are Singapore Permanent Residents (PRs) for at least 2 - 6 years immediately prior to the date of application.

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/think-singapo ... 00979.html
Waiting Time for Citizenship: After waiting up to 3 months for approval to join the Global Investor Program (and $2.5 million dollars), you’ll be awarded PR status. After two years of residency, you can then apply for citizenship.
So to summarize. For a PR application, practically there is no minimum timeframe to apply. You can technically apply for PR the day you step into Singapore or even before that. But for a citizenship application, through the PR route, you need to spend 2 years minimum. That's what is written in the letter.

blessedone
Regular
Regular

Post by blessedone » Mon, 06 Oct 2014 3:03 pm

cool, thanks!