Singapore Expats Forum

How big is 1666ft^3?

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:
Image
The Club Residences

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6841
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

How big is 1666ft^3?

Postby zzm9980 » Sat, 04 Oct 2014 3:12 am

Yes, I know. It's like the opposite of "How long is a piece of string?", and the answer is "1666 cubic feet."

What I really want to know is, about how big of a box is that usually? How much furniture and such does one estimate can fit in that much space? Even better if someone has a web page that shows a visualization. I've been trying to find one, but cannot.

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Re: How big is 1666ft^3?

Postby nakatago » Sat, 04 Oct 2014 3:44 am

zzm9980 wrote:Yes, I know. It's like the opposite of "How long is a piece of string?", and the answer is "1666 cubic feet."

What I really want to know is, about how big of a box is that usually? How much furniture and such does one estimate can fit in that much space? Even better if someone has a web page that shows a visualization. I've been trying to find one, but cannot.


Run or download sketchup and create a cube that big? You can create solids there with a human to scale quite easily.

Here's an online version that works on windows. https://spoon.net/apps/sketchup

I haven't tried it though because my current setup doesn't have my usual virtual machines which include Windows.

brian_singapore
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 349
Joined: Mon, 29 Jul 2013

Postby brian_singapore » Sat, 04 Oct 2014 10:53 am

Assume this is a container for shipping?

If for personal effects then moving companies can usually give you an approximation based on things like 'you can fit a family of 4, standard 3 bedroom house in it'.

Or they can tell you usually a living room, dining room and kitchen etc.

Brian

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6841
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Sat, 04 Oct 2014 11:03 am

brian_singapore wrote:Assume this is a container for shipping?

If for personal effects then moving companies can usually give you an approximation based on things like 'you can fit a family of 4, standard 3 bedroom house in it'.

Or they can tell you usually a living room, dining room and kitchen etc.

Brian



Yeah, they didn't. :) Just 1666 cubic feet. I'll try the sketchup in a VM, thanks Nak.

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 11059
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Postby Strong Eagle » Sat, 04 Oct 2014 12:32 pm

Simple... 1666 is roughly 1600 cubic feet.

So...imagine a room with 8 foot ceiling, standard for most US homes.

With an 8 foot ceiling you need a room 10 ft wide and 20 ft long to get to 1600 cubic ft... 20 x 10 x 8.

If you had 10 ft ceilings, you need a room 16 ft x 10 ft to get to 1600 cubic ft.

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6841
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Sat, 04 Oct 2014 12:38 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:Simple... 1666 is roughly 1600 cubic feet.

So...imagine a room with 8 foot ceiling, standard for most US homes.

With an 8 foot ceiling you need a room 10 ft wide and 20 ft long to get to 1600 cubic ft... 20 x 10 x 8.

If you had 10 ft ceilings, you need a room 16 ft x 10 ft to get to 1600 cubic ft.


Hmm that's quite large, and did help. Thanks!

User avatar
kaseyma
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 213
Joined: Sat, 05 Apr 2008
Location: in question

Postby kaseyma » Sat, 04 Oct 2014 2:55 pm

Is this for storage?

It seems to be a couple of feet longer than the standard 20 ft shipping container (8x8.5x20 = 1,360 ft³), and even 10% more volume than the taller "high" container (8x9.5x20 = 1,520 ft³).


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post
  • BIG W, Target or K Mart?
    by Pennywhistle » Thu, 14 Nov 2013 11:17 am » in Parenting, Family & Schools
    3
    2473
    by movingtospore View the latest post
    Fri, 29 Nov 2013 11:26 am
  • Big 4 in Singapore
    by Liam555 » Mon, 23 Dec 2013 7:35 pm » in Careers & Jobs in Singapore
    3
    1673
    by livingontheedge View the latest post
    Mon, 23 Dec 2013 11:16 pm
  • big/wide shoes (W or E width)
    by taxico » Fri, 06 Jun 2014 8:58 pm » in General Discussions
    2
    1437
    by taxico View the latest post
    Sat, 07 Jun 2014 5:01 pm
  • Big grey moths
    by Brah » Fri, 04 Jul 2014 9:36 pm » in Latest News & Current Affairs
    10
    1805
    by BillyB View the latest post
    Tue, 08 Jul 2014 9:09 am
  • condos with big...well at least decent sized kitchens
    by Goldy740 » Thu, 24 Jul 2014 8:21 pm » in Property Talk, Housing & Rental
    7
    1991
    by uscate View the latest post
    Sat, 26 Jul 2014 7:07 pm

Return to “Relocating, Moving to Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests