Singapore Expats Forum

Flatmate team up for renting

New here? Don't be shy. Introduce yourself here and expand your social network!
britishblondie

Flatmate team up for renting

Postby britishblondie » Fri, 03 Oct 2014 6:52 pm

Hi all
I recently fell in love with the new resort style condos in Harbourfront.
After unsuccessfully trawling the City viewing for spare rooms I have decided that I think what may be the best way to go is to try and gather a group together to rent out an apartment between us as the rooms seem pretty poor in standard to be honest with a very limited choice
Harbourfront is on both the purple and yellow lines so makes it very accessible for most people's work as well as being very close to Sentosa for weekend leisure time
All the condos in this area are large with fantastic new facilities. if you are interested in teaming up to be part of this new flatmates please let me know
We are hoping to set a leaving date at some point in the first couple of weeks of November
Vikki

PNGMK
Director
Director

Postby PNGMK » Fri, 03 Oct 2014 8:07 pm

Make sure;

1. The lead tenant is the most secure person (i.e. most secure employment and hence work permit and longest time likely in Singapore). I would recommend a single person be the lead tenant (sign the lease) but you can have multiple people sign - however if one leaves it's a bitch to re-assign to someone else.

2. Take copies of everyone's work permits and passports (digital) and keep them somewhere online (mail copies to everyone).

3. I'd recommend you have a written agreement between the parties - maybe from the lead tenant to the sub tenants. Lay out the payment terms fo rent, damages, bills (PUB etc) and how the deposits will be collected. The lead tenant will be the one carrying the security deposit so make sure that person is protected (for example don't refund a share of the security deposit if someone leaves early unless someone else takes it on or if you're certain that there is no damage). AIRCON's use a lot of electricity - work out a rule for that - maybe no airons in the day or everyone accepts the bill is split X ways and there's no bitching about the fact that it's $450 a month.

4. You will find some LL are reluctant to lease apartments to people sharing (no, it's not 'illegal' provided all parties are planning on long terms stays > 6 months). Hence try to present a united front or have one person do most of the talking and sign the lease.

Good luck. Party on.

britishblondie

Postby britishblondie » Fri, 03 Oct 2014 8:50 pm

Thank you very much

Wd40
Director
Director

Postby Wd40 » Fri, 03 Oct 2014 8:56 pm

PNGMK wrote:3. I'd recommend you have a written agreement between the parties - maybe from the lead tenant to the sub tenants. Lay out the payment terms fo rent, damages, bills (PUB etc) and how the deposits will be collected. The lead tenant will be the one carrying the security deposit so make sure that person is protected (for example don't refund a share of the security deposit if someone leaves early unless someone else takes it on or if you're certain that there is no damage). AIRCON's use a lot of electricity - work out a rule for that - maybe no airons in the day or everyone accepts the bill is split X ways and there's no bitching about the fact that it's $450 a month.

All tenancy agreements that I have seen here, don't allow subletting by the main tenant to subtenants. All occupants need to be in the tenancy agreement and if you need to add additional you need to take permission from the landlord. So I don't see how you can have written agreement between tenant and subtenant.

PNGMK
Director
Director

Postby PNGMK » Fri, 03 Oct 2014 9:23 pm

Wd40 wrote:
PNGMK wrote:3. I'd recommend you have a written agreement between the parties - maybe from the lead tenant to the sub tenants. Lay out the payment terms fo rent, damages, bills (PUB etc) and how the deposits will be collected. The lead tenant will be the one carrying the security deposit so make sure that person is protected (for example don't refund a share of the security deposit if someone leaves early unless someone else takes it on or if you're certain that there is no damage). AIRCON's use a lot of electricity - work out a rule for that - maybe no airons in the day or everyone accepts the bill is split X ways and there's no bitching about the fact that it's $450 a month.

All tenancy agreements that I have seen here, don't allow subletting by the main tenant to subtenants. All occupants need to be in the tenancy agreement and if you need to add additional you need to take permission from the landlord. So I don't see how you can have written agreement between tenant and subtenant.

The way to do it is to have the one person sign the lease and then have agreements with other friends... the problem is enforcing that agreement. I've done this myself (occupants were not on the lease). However you bear the brunt of all the issues if you're the only one on the lease. As WD40 said... if you can find a group who are willing to commit to a full term lease and you trust.. that might be best.

allyhaines

Re: Flatmate team up for renting

Postby allyhaines » Mon, 10 Aug 2015 8:04 pm

Hey Vikki,
I know your post was ages ago but I'm moving over this weekend from Australia and struggling to find a place so far. I'm 25F and will be working at the National University Hospital so Harbourfront would be a good spot for me.
Let me know if you've got anything going at the moment :)
And even if not re accom, if you'd be keen to grab a drink or something soon let me know that too :)
Ally

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Flatmate team up for renting

Postby ecureilx » Mon, 10 Aug 2015 10:59 pm

allyhaines wrote:. I'm 25F and will be working at the National University Hospital so Harbourfront would be a good spot for me.

For NUH, normanton park is walking distance ...

Once you start working you may find nearby options

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Re: Flatmate team up for renting

Postby rajagainstthemachine » Tue, 11 Aug 2015 12:22 am

Or Alexandra or Buona Vista.. much better than living in Harborfront.. lot of expats live in Normanton btw
usually they are faculty staff or students and maybe some people who work in an around science park 1 and 2
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late