Singapore Expats Forum

PR Application Odds

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
brian_singapore
Chatter
Chatter

Postby brian_singapore » Sat, 04 Oct 2014 12:00 pm

As noted, it's a bit of a problem.... The government really can't tell unless someone comes back on a PR and happens to mention it to an immigration official or the immigration official thinks to ask for a copy of the flight out. Every once in a while there is a push to track exits but so far it's never been pushed through.

When it comes time to apply for citizenship the onus is on the applicant to demonstrate they've met the residency requirements and provide supporting documentation like passport stamps and the like. But without an exit stamp leaving Canada, it's possible to abuse the system.

Edit: Airline reporting - nope. That would be a violation of our data protection act :D

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Postby zzm9980 » Sat, 04 Oct 2014 12:37 pm

Hmm, I always thought the US immigration problem was around those who shoudln't be there and wouldn't leave. I imagine if people want to come collect green cards and leave, more power to them. They'll have to keep paying US taxes and be able to prove it when/if they ever come back to get citizenship.

brian_singapore
Chatter
Chatter

Postby brian_singapore » Sat, 04 Oct 2014 12:51 pm

That's the impression I have. But I wasn't describing the US immigration system.

US does require you to be resident if your a PR.

GSM8
Chatter
Chatter

Postby GSM8 » Sat, 04 Oct 2014 1:17 pm

zzm9980 wrote:They'll have to keep paying US taxes and be able to prove it when/if they ever come back to get citizenship.

It's not just if they ever come back to get citizenship that they have to prove it. Any remotely "US person" who aren't up to date on filings and reporting is putting themselves at huge risk.

emulated

Postby emulated » Tue, 14 Oct 2014 10:19 am

I was under the impression that since I'm now considered 1st generation I would not have to do NS. My parents are both PRs, as is my younger sister.

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I'd say wait until you have been here 2 years as an employee. All the rest is of no consequence, truth be known. I know it says you can apply after 6 months, but we've not see one of those for a long time unless they are in a really niche area that the gahment wants.

Of course, if you handle rejection well, go ahead and apply. Who knows, you might get lucky. Financial types tend to follow the dollars and the gahment knows this.

Would you be keen if they asked you to do NS as well? You are only 22 so well in the range. :-k

movingtospore
Reporter
Reporter

Postby movingtospore » Tue, 14 Oct 2014 10:45 am

Is there a requirement for you to stay in Singapore a certain number of days every year? Or be employed in Singapore? For example...if a family were all PRs...one adult working here and one employed outside of Singers but traveling here frequently for work...I'm guessing the latter could not keep their PR status?

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 14 Oct 2014 11:33 am

emulated wrote:I was under the impression that since I'm now considered 1st generation I would not have to do NS. My parents are both PRs, as is my younger sister.

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I'd say wait until you have been here 2 years as an employee. All the rest is of no consequence, truth be known. I know it says you can apply after 6 months, but we've not see one of those for a long time unless they are in a really niche area that the gahment wants.

Of course, if you handle rejection well, go ahead and apply. Who knows, you might get lucky. Financial types tend to follow the dollars and the gahment knows this.

Would you be keen if they asked you to do NS as well? You are only 22 so well in the range. :-k

I'm afraid that what you have described is exactly what the gahment is out to punish. You parents apparently tried to game the system by taking up PR for themselves and your female sibling and keeping you on a student visa so as to not be liable for NS. The ICA are wise to this gambit and those who fall foul of it are up the creek without a paddle. Now these young men, like yourself, have only their parents to thank for stuffing up their lives in their constant need to try to game the system. So, if your life is screwed up, remember to thank your parents as they and only they are the ones responsible for screwing it up for you. You are not 1st Generation but 2nd generation except for the fact that your parents tried to pull a fast one.

And, if you DO opt to do NS (and they will offer you that chance) they will still not guarantee you PR OR Citizenship.

Good luck.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Postby zzm9980 » Tue, 14 Oct 2014 11:40 am

movingtospore wrote:Is there a requirement for you to stay in Singapore a certain number of days every year? Or be employed in Singapore? For example...if a family were all PRs...one adult working here and one employed outside of Singers but traveling here frequently for work...I'm guessing the latter could not keep their PR status?

The general guideline is 3 years in SG for every 5 years. But if the spouse is working in Singapore and you apply for the REP as a family I'm guessing you'll be OK. No worse than having an unemployed spouse.