Singapore Expats

renewal of re-entry permit -- Retrenched during renewal.

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
lifeisephemeral

Re: renewal of re-entry permit -- Retrenched during renewal.

Post by lifeisephemeral » Sat, 13 Feb 2016 4:36 pm

pdt1sg wrote:Hi Sam,

Wanted to ask if you went ahead and renewed the REP without being currently employed and if the REP was approved.

I'm in a similar situation to you in that I have been a PR for 15 years, left my last job and am currently looking for a new job. Do you suggest renewing the REP without being employed or waiting until employed and then renewing the REP?

PDT
Same issue. Couldn't extend my contract job in December and I tried to renew my Re-entry Permit via e-REP renewal yesterday. It says

"Please note that you will be notified of the application outcome via email as per email address provided in the contact details. You may use the 'Check Application Status' facility to determine the status of your application in 5 Working Days from Submission Date."

Is that bad :(?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: renewal of re-entry permit -- Retrenched during renewal.

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 13 Feb 2016 4:55 pm

lifeisephemeral wrote:
pdt1sg wrote:Hi Sam,

Wanted to ask if you went ahead and renewed the REP without being currently employed and if the REP was approved.

I'm in a similar situation to you in that I have been a PR for 15 years, left my last job and am currently looking for a new job. Do you suggest renewing the REP without being employed or waiting until employed and then renewing the REP?

PDT
Same issue. Couldn't extend my contract job in December and I tried to renew my Re-entry Permit via e-REP renewal yesterday. It says

"Please note that you will be notified of the application outcome via email as per email address provided in the contact details. You may use the 'Check Application Status' facility to determine the status of your application in 5 Working Days from Submission Date."

Is that bad :(?
It doesn't mean it's bad.

It means somebody's going to eye ball the renewal, vs automated approved within few minutes.

Just login to iEnquire @ ICA and check in two days or so.

lifeisephemeral

Post by lifeisephemeral » Sat, 13 Feb 2016 5:34 pm

ecureilx wrote:

It means somebody's going to eye ball the renewal, vs automated approved within few minutes.

Thank you for the reassurance :kiss:. I'll update after the outcome (steeling myself for whatever they say) 8-[ .

lifeisephemeral

Post by lifeisephemeral » Wed, 17 Feb 2016 11:13 am

lifeisephemeral wrote:
ecureilx wrote:

Thank you for the reassurance :kiss:. I'll update after the outcome (steeling myself for whatever they say) 8-[ .
I got Approved for 5 years! Definitely an act of mercy when I don't have a job :o.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 17 Feb 2016 11:40 am

lifeisephemeral wrote:
lifeisephemeral wrote:
ecureilx wrote:
I got Approved for 5 years! Definitely an act of mercy when I don't have a job :o.
Now be a good boy (or girl ?) and head to the nearest Hindu temple and offer 108 coconuts.

Or say a 100 Hail Mary's.

Or Fast for 2 weeks.

Or Go to a charity and commit 10 hours a month.

Or .. go to Red Cross and Donate Blood - more points if you can bring friends along ;)

In reality, unless you have been unemployed for too long, I haven't seen REPs being rejected.

lifeisephemeral

Post by lifeisephemeral » Wed, 17 Feb 2016 3:45 pm

ecureilx wrote:
Now be a good boy (or girl ?) and head to the nearest Hindu temple and offer 108 coconuts.

Or say a 100 Hail Mary's.

Or Fast for 2 weeks.

Or Go to a charity and commit 10 hours a month.

Or .. go to Red Cross and Donate Blood - more points if you can bring friends along ;)

In reality, unless you have been unemployed for too long, I haven't seen REPs being rejected.
I consider service to be the closest anyone can get to God and already volunteer O:). Thank you again for the reassurance :kiss:!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 19 Feb 2016 10:38 pm

Hell, I had been unemployed for 15 months when I renewed 2005. And they renewed it for 10 years. (The ten year REP was stopped not long after that.) PNGMK also got one of the last 10 year REPs as well.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sat, 20 Feb 2016 9:56 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Hell, I had been unemployed for 15 months when I renewed 2005. And they renewed it for 10 years. (The ten year REP was stopped not long after that.) PNGMK also got one of the last 10 year REPs as well.
Yep. However I had family ties and a job at the time with documentary proof and a little bit of racial leverage (Malay ICA lady doing the chopping and my half Malay son talking to her in Malay).
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

scorpio_000

Post by scorpio_000 » Sun, 06 Mar 2016 10:46 pm

Hi
I did my renewal of re-entry permit recently, Got approved for one year only.
I was expecting 5 years but only got 1 year. Any idea why I got 1year only approval. I am so confused what the procedure here, some get 5 years easily and others get 1 year only.
Last edited by scorpio_000 on Mon, 07 Mar 2016 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Post by singaporeflyer » Sun, 06 Mar 2016 11:27 pm

scorpio_000 wrote:Hi
I did my renewal of re-entry permit recently, Got approved for one year only.
I lost job in 2014. (No cpf & IRAS declaration for 2014) and started my own business in Feb 2015
only earned directors fee and no cpf contribution. I will only submit IRAS declaration this March only. Just renewed only. I was expecting 5 years but only got 1 year. Any idea why I got 1year only approval. I am so confused what the procedure here, some get 5 years easily and others get 1 year only.
Possible Reasons are highlighted above. You may have obtained PR under the PTS Scheme and no CPF contribution for sometime- This might be a reason. Also to add, were you out of Singapore for any significant time in the last 2-3 years?

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 07 Mar 2016 6:43 am

scorpio_000 wrote:...started my own business in Feb 2015 only earned directors fee and no cpf contribution.
You really shoot yourself in the head when you pull off tricks like this. You really think that the gahmen isn't wise to this trick? You got one year because they want to see what you are going to do next.

If you earn a decent salary and if you pay into CPF, then maybe you will get renewed for another year or even longer. But, if you once again elect to take directors fees in lieu of salary, I'd make a bet that you won't be renewed at all.

You'll basically look like someone who lost a job in 2014, couldn't find another one, isn't making much money in his own business and tries to circumvent the rules.

scorpio_000

Post by scorpio_000 » Mon, 07 Mar 2016 7:35 am

Thanks for the guidelines. Singapore Flyer and strong eagle

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Post by singaporeflyer » Mon, 07 Mar 2016 12:29 pm

scorpio_000 wrote:Thanks for the guidelines. Singapore Flyer and strong eagle
Welcome. But not sure on why you edited the post and removed some of the important facts that you had provided earlier. Without that, the older post would not provide much info to someone who is reading.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 07 Mar 2016 2:06 pm

singaporeflyer, it's no big deal in this case as scorpio_000 really isn't all that smart considering the post following his was yours and and you quoted him so the original text is still there in YOUR post! ;-)

scorpio_000 would have made a good SG Citizen as he doesn't have too much spatial awareness, which seems to be a prerequisite for being a citizen here. ;-)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

chanwaip

Re:

Post by chanwaip » Tue, 08 Mar 2016 3:09 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I never had one, but a couple of older threads here made note of it. It was a fine for not ensuring your REP was valid either before you left or it expired while you are out of the country (probably the latter). You paid your fine, were let in and you needed to proceed to ICA asap to get a new REP. I believe your REP was a chop in your passport with the expiration date written in the chop (at least mine is).
sry off topic, can a child apply for schools here in singapore with just LTVP? will it be too costly?