Singapore Expats

renewal of re-entry permit -- Retrenched during renewal.

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
saminsg

renewal of re-entry permit -- Retrenched during renewal.

Post by saminsg » Tue, 30 Sep 2014 10:30 am

Hello

Need your help and advise. I have been working in Singapore for quite some time. My 20th year of PR renewal is due in March.I am 49 years old. I can renew my PR from December which is 3 months ahead. My last salary is S$5.5k per month. Mainly only one income. Purchased 4 room HDB flat and have a school going child.(O level)

My company last week announced retrenchment. My last day of working will be end of October. I need to quickly find a job in short time. I am not sure I can find job quickly. I am trying to see what will be the worst case scenario.

One of the condition associated with PR renewal is , I should be gainfully employed during the renewal. In case If I could not land in a job on time

1. Will my PR renewed?
2. In case if it is not renewed do I have to surrender my house?
3. If I ask to surrender, should I surrender at purchase price or Market valuation price?

I am bit confused and worried.Please advise.

Thanks

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Tue, 30 Sep 2014 10:36 am

Just wait until you find a job then to renew would seem the answer to your question.

Whilst you are waiting to find work don't attempt a renewal. Its your re-entry permit that expires not your PR as far as I understand,.
Life is short, paddle harder!!

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 30 Sep 2014 10:38 am

Ok - firstly you never lose PR (i.e. the right to stay). You do risk losing however your REP without a job which means your can't come back as a PR (esp. if you came in under the PTS scheme).

Provided you never leave Singapore once your REP expires you can continue to stay and look for a job. That is the best option if you want to stay in Singapore. I have some friends who have done this and some who have opted to leave Singapore.

If you leave Singapore with an expired REP you will come back in on an SVP and be asked to renew your REP by customs. If you fail to do that then your HDB will need to be sold (by you at market price).

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 30 Sep 2014 10:53 am

For the record, I was without a REP for 15 months before renewing it 9 years ago. Just don't leave Singapore without it as it can open up a real can of worms, especially in today's climate here. In the past, it wasn't too much of a problem if you did, as you could pay a $100 fine and then go down and have it renewed. But now, all bets are off the table as they continue to look for excuses to axe people here.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Tue, 30 Sep 2014 12:04 pm

According to this, your Income Tax assessment for last 1 year will do:

http://www.ica.gov.sg/page.aspx?pageid=152

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 30 Sep 2014 12:40 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:For the record, I was without a REP for 15 months before renewing it 9 years ago. Just don't leave Singapore without it as it can open up a real can of worms, especially in today's climate here. In the past, it wasn't too much of a problem if you did, as you could pay a $100 fine and then go down and have it renewed. But now, all bets are off the table as they continue to look for excuses to axe people here.
Leave Singapore without what? An REP or a printed record of an REP? What was the fine for? I am not sure I even have a copy of my REP.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 30 Sep 2014 12:50 pm

I never had one, but a couple of older threads here made note of it. It was a fine for not ensuring your REP was valid either before you left or it expired while you are out of the country (probably the latter). You paid your fine, were let in and you needed to proceed to ICA asap to get a new REP. I believe your REP was a chop in your passport with the expiration date written in the chop (at least mine is).
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 30 Sep 2014 12:54 pm

Wd40 wrote:According to this, your Income Tax assessment for last 1 year will do:

mmm

you dont submit anything while renewing REP, via E-REP, other than basic information.

OP, login to ICA and see if you can submit renewal now.

E-rep did allow renewal upto 5 months ahead or so, though many don't renew early as new REP kicks in from date you renewed, so you loose few months of the next 5 year, but why bother.

if works you get it approved within a day

if it goes for review only you need to leg it to ICA.
Last edited by ecureilx on Tue, 30 Sep 2014 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shameenali
Regular
Regular

Post by shameenali » Tue, 30 Sep 2014 12:55 pm

Mine when I had it was a separate piece of paper. Very inconvenient as you tend to lose it which is what I promptly did. However I believe you can still print it out online if am not mistaken. I remember doing something like that but am unable to find the relevant link.

http://www.ica.gov.sg/e_services_overvi ... pageid=299

Maybe you could log in using your Singpass & having a look if a re-print is possible there.
sundaymorningstaple wrote:I never had one, but a couple of older threads here made note of it. It was a fine for not ensuring your REP was valid either before you left or it expired while you are out of the country (probably the latter). You paid your fine, were let in and you needed to proceed to ICA asap to get a new REP. I believe your REP was a chop in your passport with the expiration date written in the chop (at least mine is).

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 30 Sep 2014 1:00 pm

shameenali wrote:Mine when I had it was a separate piece of paper. Very inconvenient as you tend to lose it which is what I promptly did. However I believe you can still print it out online if am not mistaken. I remember doing something like that but am unable to find the relevant link.

Maybe you could log in using your Singpass & having a look if a re-print is possible there.
]
you can only print it once upon approval, and no more

if you lost the copy you need to go to ICA to get a print out

best is to scan and keep as soft copy once you got it printed.

shameenali
Regular
Regular

Post by shameenali » Tue, 30 Sep 2014 1:08 pm

I logged in now to give it a shot. Says that you can print out the REP. Am unable to attach the screenshot if you could guide me how I would be more than happy to attach the same.
ecureilx wrote:
shameenali wrote:Mine when I had it was a separate piece of paper. Very inconvenient as you tend to lose it which is what I promptly did. However I believe you can still print it out online if am not mistaken. I remember doing something like that but am unable to find the relevant link.

]
you can only print it once upon approval, and no more

if you lost the copy you need to go to ICA to get a print out

best is to scan and keep as soft copy once you got it printed.

saminsg

Post by saminsg » Tue, 30 Sep 2014 1:19 pm

ecureilx wrote:
    Wd40 wrote:According to this, your Income Tax assessment for last 1 year will do:

mmm

you dont submit anything while renewing REP, via E-REP, other than basic information.

OP, login to ICA and see if you can submit renewal now.

E-rep did allow renewal upto 5 months ahead or so, though many don't renew early as new REP kicks in from date you renewed, so you loose few months of the next 5 year, but why bother.

if works you get it approved within a day

if it goes for review only you need to leg it to ICA.
    Now according to ICA re-entry permit can be renewed only 3 months ahead. Not 5 months.

Based on the link

Does it mean if online 3 months in advance and in person earlier?

ecureilx
    Immortal
    Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 30 Sep 2014 1:33 pm

shameenali wrote:I logged in now to give it a shot. Says that you can print out the REP. Am unable to attach the screenshot if you could guide me how I would be more than happy to attach the same.
    ]
    I am not here to prove anything

just print it once, and then, log off and try to login again and try to print. maybe you can confirm it...

previously it only allowed one print online, and if you lost that copy or didn't print it as a PDF, then a walk to ICA and a chat with the officer was needed.

unless they changed that, of late.

saminsg, last year for a REP expiring in August it allowed renewal by April, online

you can try it

if you walk in, they will ask what the urgency is ...

Addadude
    Reporter
    Reporter
    Answers: 1

Post by Addadude » Tue, 30 Sep 2014 4:34 pm

Saminsg is right. You can only renew your REP within 3 months of its expiry. No earlier.

In my case, similar to the OP, I knew something was up at my company and, because my REP was due to expire in May, I tried to renew it in January. I got an auto-rejection with the advice that my earliest date to renew with be 3 months before expiry. Sure enough, I applied to renew in February (precisely 3 months before the expiry date and before any layoffs in my company occured) and it was approved instantly.

Saminsg, as the other posters have stated, unless you are planning to leave Singapore, there is no need to sweat over your REP. As a PR you are still entitled to live here. Just take your time, find a new job and then apply for your REP.
    "Both politicians and nappies need to be changed regularly, and for the same reasons."

pdt1sg

Re: renewal of re-entry permit -- Retrenched during renewal.

Post by pdt1sg » Thu, 12 Feb 2015 2:18 pm

Hi Sam,

Wanted to ask if you went ahead and renewed the REP without being currently employed and if the REP was approved.

I'm in a similar situation to you in that I have been a PR for 15 years, left my last job and am currently looking for a new job. Do you suggest renewing the REP without being employed or waiting until employed and then renewing the REP?

PDT