Singapore Expats

Best place for engineering jobs - HK, Shanghai or Singapore?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 30 Sep 2014 4:36 am

I think Shanghai is preferable to Singapore for "getting out of the city" as you can take a bullet train quite cheaply to lots of places. Hangzhou is rather crowded, but has nice mountains and obviously the lake. Nanjing is really laid back and relaxed. Both 90 minutes or less by train. Singapore you're stuck to flying somewhere, boat to Batam, or a car to Malaysia. You'll feel just as crowded as Shanghai. The air is better most of the time though.

Hong Kong is the best for the lifestyle you seem to desire, but IMO will be the worst option for engineering jobs. Have you considered looking in Shenzhen? You should have job options there and you're right over the border with Hong Kong.

I can't speak to your possible pay as that is highly subjective. "Expat" deals are possible for anyone any which way you decide to apply, if you're worth it to them.

MarcSohl

Post by MarcSohl » Wed, 01 Oct 2014 3:12 am

zzm9980 wrote:I think Shanghai is preferable to Singapore for "getting out of the city" as you can take a bullet train quite cheaply to lots of places. Hangzhou is rather crowded, but has nice mountains and obviously the lake. Nanjing is really laid back and relaxed. Both 90 minutes or less by train. Singapore you're stuck to flying somewhere, boat to Batam, or a car to Malaysia. You'll feel just as crowded as Shanghai. The air is better most of the time though.

Hong Kong is the best for the lifestyle you seem to desire, but IMO will be the worst option for engineering jobs. Have you considered looking in Shenzhen? You should have job options there and you're right over the border with Hong Kong.

I can't speak to your possible pay as that is highly subjective. "Expat" deals are possible for anyone any which way you decide to apply, if you're worth it to them.
Thanks for your recommendations. I appreciate it.
I've been to Nanjing and Hangzhou, those cities are quite nice and you are correct that it's easy to escape as you said. When I lived in China they didn't have the bullet trains, so it's even more convenient now.

It seems like you are more positive to live in Shanghai than Singapore hehe.

I understand if Hong Kong is the worst place to be when it comes to engineering jobs. But still, it's interesting to see the comparison. Hong Kong might have lots of jobs, but Shanghai and Singapore shit-loads of jobs, so in that sense Hong Kong might be okay anyhow if you understand what I mean.

I looked at another thread and it seems to be a risk for foreign engineers with a major in IT, CAD etc as Indian and Chinese people demand lower wages and you will need to compete with them. Do you have the same recognition? Is it better to go for a masters degree in Engineering management or Project management for instance than a masters degree in Mechanical engineering?

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 01 Oct 2014 4:05 am

It seems like you are more positive to live in Shanghai than Singapore hehe.[/quote]

I do, and if I was single (or my wife would allow) I'd be living in Shanghai right now. Singapore does have better air, better education, and is significantly more accessible if you don't speak Chinese.
MarcSohl wrote: I understand if Hong Kong is the worst place to be when it comes to engineering jobs. But still, it's interesting to see the comparison. Hong Kong might have lots of jobs, but Shanghai and Singapore shit-loads of jobs, so in that sense Hong Kong might be okay anyhow if you understand what I mean.

I looked at another thread and it seems to be a risk for foreign engineers with a major in IT, CAD etc as Indian and Chinese people demand lower wages and you will need to compete with them. Do you have the same recognition? Is it better to go for a masters degree in Engineering management or Project management for instance than a masters degree in Mechanical engineering?
Hard to say. If you bring value, companies will pay more. That value may be in better English understanding, being able to think outside the box, having actually learned something in school (not wrote memorizing the course material without understanding it, etc). You probably have an advantage in those regards.

I do understand Hong Kong like you said, as it is the same for me. Lots of jobs there, but just significantly more demand in the other markets. Like I said, don't discount Shenzhen just over the border. It's the third largest city in China and I personally believe will pay even more than Shanghai for the right talent.

thismyvoice
Chatter
Chatter

Post by thismyvoice » Sun, 05 Oct 2014 9:19 pm

brian_singapore wrote:about 2 months ago I attended a company workshop which included attendance from our (female) Shanghai representatives. When conversation turned to romance and marriage they complained about the lack of eligible bachelors available in Shanghai and filled the rest of us in on the 5 cs - the criteria against which any bachelor is measured.

Career
Condo
Car
Cash
Credit Cards

It definitely sounded like a good place to be as an eligible bachelor.

:D
Shanghai ladies has a reputation for being dominant and demanding. Therefore go into any relationship with your eyes wide open.

As for being materialistic, it is common throughout China. There was a famous phrase uttered by a lady in a game show, in response to an unemployed male contestant asking for a date.

"I would rather cry in a BMW then smile on a bicycle."

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Tue, 07 Oct 2014 9:13 am

thismyvoice wrote:
brian_singapore wrote:about 2 months ago I attended a company workshop which included attendance from our (female) Shanghai representatives. When conversation turned to romance and marriage they complained about the lack of eligible bachelors available in Shanghai and filled the rest of us in on the 5 cs - the criteria against which any bachelor is measured.

Career
Condo
Car
Cash
Credit Cards

It definitely sounded like a good place to be as an eligible bachelor.

:D
Shanghai ladies has a reputation for being dominant and demanding. Therefore go into any relationship with your eyes wide open.

As for being materialistic, it is common throughout China. There was a famous phrase uttered by a lady in a game show, in response to an unemployed male contestant asking for a date.

"I would rather cry in a BMW then smile on a bicycle."
You mean this one? :mrgreen:

If You're The One