Singapore Expats Forum

Your one piece of wisdom...

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Thu, 09 Oct 2014 12:33 pm

Wd40 wrote: I am now diversifying away to salads, sandwitches etc.


OH NO! Wd40 is becoming NOT Indian! :shock:

#thatsaracist
#umadbro

(For what it's worth, an Indian guy from India asked me what carpaccio is and still proceeded to order, eat and finish it. Yes, it was beef. He said he's in a different place so he should try the food.)

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35178
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 09 Oct 2014 12:48 pm

Wd40 wrote: sandwitches etc.



What does a sandwitch taste like? Are witches considered beef or pork or poultry? :lol:

User avatar
rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2825
Joined: Sat, 24 Nov 2012
Location: Singapore

Postby rajagainstthemachine » Thu, 09 Oct 2014 12:56 pm

Wd40 wrote:I agree, carbs were great in the good old days when people used to work in the farms. You needed that instant energy that carbs gave, to toil hard. In the present day desk jobs, we dont need so much of carbs.

But I think South East Asian and Chinese cuisine is still better off, you have decent portion of chicken. Indian cuisuine is the worst. I am now diversifying away to salads, sandwitches etc.

Also bread is not that bad compared to rice. Rice is the worst.


1. Don't assume everyone are at their desks all the time, I stand for eight hours a day all week doing demos, presenting to an audience, or I'm climbing ladders, pulling cables out, rack mounting things, heavy lifting, etc etc
I also run 5 km a day, I need carbs and plenty of it but I burn them too.

2. why is Indian Cuisine so bad? there are plenty of nutritious Indian food that can be made at home without all oil,spices and it can be steamed too.


3. just curious to know what kind of bread do you eat may I ask?
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6842
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Thu, 09 Oct 2014 1:25 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Wd40 wrote: sandwitches etc.



What does a sandwitch taste like? Are witches considered beef or pork or poultry? :lol:


Image



Image

Akimbo
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 856
Joined: Wed, 02 May 2012
Location: Germany

Postby Akimbo » Thu, 09 Oct 2014 1:27 pm

What would you guys recommend to reduce the amount of carbs intake in Singapore? Takeout foods, hawkers area is not really low-carbs friendly...
My thread...The Weekenders If you need my e-mail address, it's in the first post of the thread.

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3936
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012
Location: SIndiapore

Postby Wd40 » Thu, 09 Oct 2014 1:35 pm

Akimbo wrote:What would you guys recommend to reduce the amount of carbs intake in Singapore? Takeout foods, hawkers area is not really low-carbs friendly...


I have salads these days for lunch. There is a shop where you can choose 5 items. They already have the leaves. I usually choose small potato, pasta, Chick Peas, egg and corn and the 1000 island sauce. Its very filling and relatively low carb and high protein.

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Thu, 09 Oct 2014 1:39 pm

Wd40 wrote:I have salads these days for lunch. There is a shop where you can choose 5 items. They already have the leaves. I usually choose small potato, pasta, Chick Peas, egg and corn and the 1000 island sauce. Its very filling and relatively low carb and high protein.


:roll:

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3936
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012
Location: SIndiapore

Postby Wd40 » Thu, 09 Oct 2014 1:43 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:
Wd40 wrote:I agree, carbs were great in the good old days when people used to work in the farms. You needed that instant energy that carbs gave, to toil hard. In the present day desk jobs, we dont need so much of carbs.

But I think South East Asian and Chinese cuisine is still better off, you have decent portion of chicken. Indian cuisuine is the worst. I am now diversifying away to salads, sandwitches etc.

Also bread is not that bad compared to rice. Rice is the worst.


1. Don't assume everyone are at their desks all the time, I stand for eight hours a day all week doing demos, presenting to an audience, or I'm climbing ladders, pulling cables out, rack mounting things, heavy lifting, etc etc
I also run 5 km a day, I need carbs and plenty of it but I burn them too.

Its nothing compared to toiling in the farm. I am talking about your job alone, not including your running

2. why is Indian Cuisine so bad? there are plenty of nutritious Indian food that can be made at home without all oil,spices and it can be steamed too.

Yeah, can is the key word. But we typically dont.

3. just curious to know what kind of bread do you eat may I ask?

Subway, either honey oat or parmesan
Last edited by Wd40 on Thu, 09 Oct 2014 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3936
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012
Location: SIndiapore

Postby Wd40 » Thu, 09 Oct 2014 1:44 pm

nakatago wrote:
Wd40 wrote:I have salads these days for lunch. There is a shop where you can choose 5 items. They already have the leaves. I usually choose small potato, pasta, Chick Peas, egg and corn and the 1000 island sauce. Its very filling and relatively low carb and high protein.


:roll:


I know, but I need some carbs or I dont feel I ate anything at all. Its relatively better than rice though.

Make no mistake, you need carbs in your diet. Its just that Indian cuisuine especially vegetarian rice based is like 90% carb. Even if you could push that figure down to 60% and increase the protein content proportionately, its progress.
Last edited by Wd40 on Thu, 09 Oct 2014 2:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ktw1990
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon, 06 Oct 2014

Re: Thanks...

Postby ktw1990 » Thu, 09 Oct 2014 1:46 pm

JR8 wrote:
Well the internet told you wrong, 180 degrees wrong.

'1. The density of mammalian skeletal muscle is 1.06 g/ml.

2. The density of adipose tissue (fat) is about 0.9 g/ml


Well thanks for the science journal. They are always the preferred sources than online information for a reason. So that means it should be the reverse: if an Asian woman and a Caucasian woman are of the same size, than the Asian woman will be the lighter one despite the higher amount of body fat.

... All I can think of today when I walk on the street watching people is probably gonna be their amount of body fat VS. muscle.

Now I'm wondering if the tendency of Asians to have a higher amount of internal body fat is because of their high carbo diet or for genetic reasons...

User avatar
rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2825
Joined: Sat, 24 Nov 2012
Location: Singapore

Postby rajagainstthemachine » Thu, 09 Oct 2014 2:17 pm

Wd40 wrote:
rajagainstthemachine wrote:
Wd40 wrote:I agree, carbs were great in the good old days when people used to work in the farms. You needed that instant energy that carbs gave, to toil hard. In the present day desk jobs, we dont need so much of carbs.

But I think South East Asian and Chinese cuisine is still better off, you have decent portion of chicken. Indian cuisuine is the worst. I am now diversifying away to salads, sandwitches etc.

Also bread is not that bad compared to rice. Rice is the worst.


1. Don't assume everyone are at their desks all the time, I stand for eight hours a day all week doing demos, presenting to an audience, or I'm climbing ladders, pulling cables out, rack mounting things, heavy lifting, etc etc
I also run 5 km a day, I need carbs and plenty of it but I burn them too.

Its nothing compared to toiling in the farm. I am talking about your job alone, not including your running

2. why is Indian Cuisine so bad? there are plenty of nutritious Indian food that can be made at home without all oil,spices and it can be steamed too.

Yeah, can is the key word. But we typically dont.

3. just curious to know what kind of bread do you eat may I ask?

Subway, either honey oat or Parmesan



you think subway bread is better than rice ? you are joking right?
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35178
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 09 Oct 2014 4:45 pm

For me, a 'typical' day's meals consist of Breakfast: vegetable omelet - 1 AAA egg ~95-105gm with around 65gm of tomato, capsicum & fresh mushroom and around 150gm of Papaya & black tea; Lunch: Salad with a protein source (whole can of chunk tuna (in either brine or Olive oil) or 140gm of prawns or boiled chicken breast, 150 gms of salad fixin's (lettuce, tomato, mushrooms, capsicum & cucumber) and either half a mango/apple diced; Dinner is usually steak, fish or chicken (around 140-150 gm) eye round for the steak as it's lean and an equivalent amount of green leafy vegetables various or asparagus/brocolli. Maybe an apple after dinner and a piece of fruit at 10 am and 4 pm between meals. Total carbs? 0.

User avatar
Brah
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1962
Joined: Sat, 18 Dec 2010

Postby Brah » Thu, 09 Oct 2014 9:41 pm

earthfriendly wrote:It is easier for Caucasian to gain muscle tone then it is for Asian.

See, I don't buy that generalization any more than I did the one posted earlier about there not being many rotund Asians due to less fat in their typical diet, etc.

You simply cant categorize all Caucasians or Asians that way - there are genetics, weather, socio-economics, culture, and diet involved, and those all determine body condition.

Caucasians come in too many flavors to lump them together, some are more fit than others, and my contrast between Chinese Singaporeans and Japanese stands - their diets, and their genes are different, just look at the noses.

I agree with the wife's observations of how many of those thin ladies here have paunches on them that Japanese women do not or would not allow themselves to have, and I have seen it myself in real life.

There was a time on this forum, when I actually cared, that I regularly ranted about generalizations, mostly those tired and outdated ones about Americans, but other generalizations as well. Nowadays I'm more inclined to let those living in their hater world to enjoy the surroundings they've made for themselves.

Ok rant over.

I see a lot of quite buff locals at the dragon boat races, more buff than the majority of the Westerners.

User avatar
Brah
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1962
Joined: Sat, 18 Dec 2010

Postby Brah » Thu, 09 Oct 2014 9:48 pm

bgd wrote:Watched a programme recently that was suggesting sugar rather than fat might be the cause of a lot of obesity in the west. It was certainly interesting to see how much sugar is in products, especially low fat items. Generally sugar replaces the fat.

Any opinions? Have we been looking at the wrong culprit all these years?

Of course it is - the west have poisoned themselves in the past few decades. And fat as we have come to know it is not the problem but low-fat is. And often low-fat = higher sugar, and if it's corn syrup then you're doomed eventually - that crap is everywhere.

There is a great book about the Corn Industry conspiracy, but I didn't buy it when I saw it at Kinukoniya a couple years ago, and have not been able to find exactly that one though there are others.

Anyone who consumes diet anything is just fooling themselves and their bodies. Go enjoy that once-in-a-while non-diet Pepsi, but crikey don't drink that stuff every week.

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Fri, 10 Oct 2014 5:41 am

Brah wrote:I see a lot of quite buff locals at the dragon boat races, more buff than the majority of the Westerners.


Well you got resistance and cardio there...and when you got at least nine other guys for peer pressure when training, you'd end up getting buff too.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests