Singapore Expats

Singapore’s population growth slowest in 10 years

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 16 Oct 2014 7:55 am

ecureilx wrote:
aster wrote:Lowest fertility rate in the world.

Surely it's better to try to turn this around than keep bringing in people to replenish the local population, especially if they cannot become citizens without renouncing their other citizenship(s) beforehand...
BTW, I understand Japan, with a larger aging population, are informally making people with experience in geriatric care PR status, as long as they commit to a certain # of years

A few Filipino nurses have 'migrated' to Japan ..

as for fertility and balancing population, if it was not told before, let me say it .

the idea is to win the next election, and increasing population is one sure way to loose the election ..
You mean via migration and not child birth. Presumably the PAP has modellled the new votes for the PAP from new citizens vs the votes lost to old citizens who don't like the new citizens and made a decision.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 16 Oct 2014 8:14 am

The new citizens may hate the growing population with even more hatred than the old citizens. A neophyte syndrome.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 16 Oct 2014 8:26 am

I could offer to come over and do my part to help increase the birthrate... ladies... send me your email address for more information.

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Thu, 16 Oct 2014 10:02 am

Strong Eagle wrote:I could offer to come over and do my part to help increase the birthrate... ladies... send me your email address for more information.
It's so inspiring to see such a selfless offer. There is hope for this country after all. :)

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 16 Oct 2014 10:08 am

ecureilx wrote: as for fertility and balancing population, if it was not told before, let me say it .

the idea is to win the next election, and increasing population is one sure way to loose the election ..
And that folks, is all you need to know.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 16 Oct 2014 10:35 am

They've spent 30 years telling people not to have children.

'Well hello!!' to the result.