Singapore Expats

International school teaching salary advice

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
emjay

International school teaching salary advice

Post by emjay » Thu, 25 Sep 2014 5:33 pm

I am looking at moving to Singapore next year and am currently looking for primary level teaching jobs in International Schools. Many of them ask what your salary expectations are. All of the ones I have seen to date talk about accommodation,flights home, relocation allowances etc as part of the package. However, despite searching though the forums here, I can't find any recent information about expected salary.

Clearly, from what I have read, it is dependent on a number of key points so this is my situation:
I am seeking full time employment in an International School as a primary teacher. I will be bringing one dependent of primary school age (I am single). I am currently in a leadership role and will have 14 years teaching experience by next year. I have my Bachelor's degree in education. Although I have not taught in an international school before, my current position is in a private special character school. I have excellent references and am experienced in the use of ICTs, including training other teachers, as well as ESOL.

I really just need a ball park figure of what to put down for expected salary. I don't think comparing directly with my NZ salary will help me much as the tax and cost of living is going to mean I am comparing apples with oranges.

Any idea on a reasonable expectation of salary given my experience would be most appreciated. I have checked out the internet in general and this forum extensively but most is either too old to be useful or the situation too different from my own. Thanks for your help.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 25 Sep 2014 5:37 pm

Between $48,000 to $120,000 depending on the school and your quals/experience.

$48,000 is the bare minimum the schools can get away with and get a visa... $120,000 is my guesstimate for what a HOD at SAS might get (I may be a bit high). CIS is paying about $60,000 from memory for experienced math teachers with a housing allowance on top.

All this is in SGD and excludes any housing allowance. I

EDIT: clarified number.
Last edited by PNGMK on Sun, 28 Sep 2014 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

CaptainBullus
Regular
Regular

Post by CaptainBullus » Sun, 28 Sep 2014 1:47 am

s$70-100K inc. housing

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 28 Sep 2014 10:24 am

CaptainBullus wrote:s$70-100K inc. housing
As that includes housing I'd say my figures which exclude housing are about the same.

CaptainBullus
Regular
Regular

Post by CaptainBullus » Sun, 28 Sep 2014 8:56 pm

I'd say so too. Well done you for pointing that out.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 29 Sep 2014 9:54 am

CaptainBullus wrote:I'd say so too. Well done you for pointing that out.
No problem.

OP: Note that because the work permits here have a minimum salary (about $4000 per month) that's pretty much a guaranteed pay level to start with. Most schools have a schedule of pay for different teachers positions and qualifications - there doesn't seem to be much room for negotiation.