Singapore Expats

I just want a decent haircut at a reasonable price.

Discuss about beauty & health. Need some advice or looking for a particular product? Share your beauty and health tips here.
AussieChris

I just want a decent haircut at a reasonable price.

Post by AussieChris » Wed, 24 Sep 2014 7:32 pm

Can anyone recommend a hairdresser/barber in Katong area who doesn't charge $70 for a haircut? I'm struggling here.

Thanks!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 24 Sep 2014 8:42 pm

Check out any Malay or Indian Barber in the housing estates. Normally they give decent cuts as long as you explain clearly what you want. Price is normally around $8/cut.

Or, try Hounds of the Baskervilles on Bali Lane. My personal recommendation.

https://www.facebook.com/HoundsOfTheBas ... es?fref=ts
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 24 Sep 2014 8:55 pm

Go to 'QB house' (a chain) - $12.... simple.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Thu, 25 Sep 2014 8:51 am

JR8 wrote:Go to 'QB house' (a chain) - $12.... simple.
Or $10 in some outlets.

AussieChris

Post by AussieChris » Thu, 25 Sep 2014 9:22 am

thanks all, I'll suss out QB house.

GSM8
Chatter
Chatter

Post by GSM8 » Thu, 25 Sep 2014 9:34 am

Suggest avoiding the $5/cut places though (such as in Geylang), unless one is in agreeance with the spirit of the difference between a good haircut and a bad haircut being 2 weeks :-|

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 25 Sep 2014 9:45 am

the lynx wrote:
Or $10 in some outlets.

Don't know. Their site says $12, which is also what I pay.
http://www.qbhouse.com/sg/guidance/
It used to be $10 until c2009 when it increased. Same time they dropped their promo line 'a $10 haircut in 10 minutes'.

Either way, best take change for $12 just in case.

hotandhumid

Post by hotandhumid » Thu, 25 Sep 2014 11:45 am

don't mind me saying but forget about places like QB House... they do the basic standard cuts and have a soft time constraint.
I usually go to "Mode Hair Salon" at the basement of Roxy Square, facing their basement food court. It's an older establishment and they are quite experienced.
For men, the prices are $10 - $20 depending on the seniority of the hairdresser, and includes a hairwash too. Prices for women vary depending on what treatment you are after, but are very reasonable.
Lets air-condition the entire island please

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Thu, 25 Sep 2014 12:16 pm

GSM8 wrote:Suggest avoiding the $5/cut places though (such as in Geylang), unless one is in agreeance with the spirit of the difference between a good haircut and a bad haircut being 2 weeks :-|
took me 54 weeks to get my hair to the state it is now, I don't want an incompetent barber anywhere near my beautiful hair.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Thu, 25 Sep 2014 12:51 pm

JR8 wrote:
the lynx wrote:
Or $10 in some outlets.

Don't know. Their site says $12, which is also what I pay.
http://www.qbhouse.com/sg/guidance/
It used to be $10 until c2009 when it increased. Same time they dropped their promo line 'a $10 haircut in 10 minutes'.

Either way, best take change for $12 just in case.
QB House is $12 but there are plenty of copy cat establishments which charge $10. I personally like them, but cuts can be a little hit and miss. Last time I was engrossed in whatever they were showing on the screen and left with less hair than I was expecting. :)

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 25 Sep 2014 1:12 pm

bgd wrote:QB House is $12 but there are plenty of copy cat establishments which charge $10. I personally like them, but cuts can be a little hit and miss. Last time I was engrossed in whatever they were showing on the screen and left with less hair than I was expecting. :)
Maybe I'm lucky with my local QB, I go there often (or long) enough that even the rotating staff know what I want. Either way, I briefly remind them anyway.

Still doesn't beat the Turkish place I frequented in Germany, or 'my regular' Greek place back 'ome:

'No. 3 up the sides and back, tapered into slightly longer on top, plus a bit of a fringe left.' Simple, and nice when a new place gets it approximately right.

p.s. Might have to go and check out SMS Jrs place... have a 'real shave' whilst there too ...

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Fri, 26 Sep 2014 6:56 am

i get a shave in little india all the time, some place in the middle of serangoon road, its manned by a bunch of 60+ people, its calm and peaceful and they do a decent shave for 6$
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Max Headroom » Fri, 26 Sep 2014 8:11 am

The only people I allow near my hair in Sing are the Indian barber shop dudes. I've been going to just two places in all my years here and they've been doing a superb job. But then, I tell them exactly how I want it done, yes.

The chappies that do the actual cutting come and go, but somehow they always produce the desired result.

The fact that you get the whole back to the 60's retro experience is a nice bonus. The one I go to nowadays is a veritable throw-back to the olden days, witch hazel fumes, old wooden radio playing crackly Bollywood tunes and all. A total time-warp, awesome. It's a shame you're done in 15 minutes.

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Fri, 26 Sep 2014 9:17 am

I remember SGD 60+ haircut somewhere near Bugis at a barbershop where they do massage to your head and similar nonsense. The haircut was awful. I would never go for expensive cut in SG. Indians cut much better and way cheaper. I do SuperCuts for 30+ (the highest I go) - they cut me reasonably well (sometimes with additional instructions, but since I'm cutting my hair there for more than 3 years ,everybody knows me and know how to cut me).

GSM8
Chatter
Chatter

Post by GSM8 » Fri, 26 Sep 2014 9:25 am

Max Headroom wrote:The only people I allow near my hair in Sing are the Indian barber shop dudes. I've been going to just two places in all my years here and they've been doing a superb job. But then, I tell them exactly how I want it done, yes.
Few years ago I was posted to a project near Ipoh Malaysia (wasn't based in Singapore at that time, so not familiar with regional nuances). Roadside in a small town along the drive to project site was a Tamil Malaysian hole in the wall barber shop that I once got a haircut from, RM 6, it was so-so. Next time I stopped there it was under renovation so I looked across the road where there a Chinese Malaysian barber shop. The Tamil Malaysian noticed it and warned "come back here tomorrow, don't go there, chinaman will cheat you, ah!". Well, I wanted to get done with the cut so went across the street anyway and got one for RM 5 and it turned out quite decent. That statement made me chuckle for long after though - chinaman will cheat you, ah! :D