Singapore Expats

Please Help and Advise: NS Deferment/Renunciation

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.
ozeurasian

Please Help and Advise: NS Deferment/Renunciation

Post by ozeurasian » Sun, 21 Sep 2014 10:19 pm

Dear Mad Scientist, I am new to this forum or type of communication. I really really need your advise and expert comments in my son's deferment from his NS commitment.

ozeurasian

Post by ozeurasian » Sun, 21 Sep 2014 10:53 pm

I came to Australia in 1997 to pursue an education in Australia together with my wife and daughter - all Singapore citizens and still are but current Singapore passports will be expiring Jan 2015. We are also Australian citizens since Jan 2010.
In 1998, when I was then holding only a student visa on Singapore passport, we had our first son. So we had no choice but to get my son registered with Singapore for citizenship by decent _ BIG mistake but otherwise he would have been stateless.
We are now a family of 5, second son born here like the first but not a Singapore citizen.
My first son does not have a Singapore birth certificate or NRIC.
In 2011 we applied for his deferment till 21 years, pending renunciation of his Singapore citizenship, but was denied. We have made several appeals letters to them via emails to Ms Yum Kah Leng, but with no success. His current exit permit will be expiring end of this month. So my wife called and spoke to CMPB regarding his exit permit and although we were not issued an exit permit they agreed to an extension without exit permit till 31 Dec 2014 as indicated in his email to us dated 18 September 2014.
My son is required to register for NS again in October 2014, since we actually did not receive the NS registration notice which he had to be at their office in October 2014. But told them that he is currently still in high school and was impossible to be physically present at their office.
His current Singapore passport expired end June 2014, issued in September 2008.
Yes my wife and I are still Singapore citizens, I am very sure they are aware of this, and because both of us are none chinese in race, which does not work in our favour. Would it aid my son's application if I gave up my Singapore citizenship and/or even both my wife and I???
Please send me your views, comments, previous cases to quote and every known and possible assistance if possible to fuel my re-submission to mindef and cmpb. I really need this, my son really needs this and my wife too.
We are all stressing over this matter. Please come to our aid, please. Thank you.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 22 Sep 2014 10:34 am

Does your first son have Australia citizenship? (Not clear in your notes).

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 22 Sep 2014 11:51 am

We are going to have to wait for Mad Scientist to log in here for a definitive answer, but it is my view, that, regardless of whether son #1 as Aus citizenship or not, the fact that both of you and probably all three of you are in violation of local laws (regarding dual citizenship), it is very doubtful that they will release your #1 son from his military obligations as it is very obvious to the onlooker that you are abusing the system as you continue to hold your Singapore citizenships even though you have been Australians for four years. Do you own an HDB Flat as well? If you still have financial ties here in Singapore, there is not much you can do unless you have divested yourself of all encumbrances here first. e.g., citizenship. However, as the boy is already 16 years of age, it is doubtful that CMPB will grant any kind of further exit permit extensions. He will be listed as an NS deserter/defaulter and will never be allowed to step foot into Singapore again as they will pick him up if he does.

Let's wait until MS weighs in though, for a final analysis.

sms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 22 Sep 2014 3:32 pm

Choices:

1. If kid has Aussie citizenship then ignore Singapore. Risk of fines (on parents) and jail time (kid).

2. If kid doesn't have Aussie citizenship and CANNOT get before the red pp expires you might find that the new passport is only valid for Singapore (i.e. return trip).

3. If kid doesn't have Aussie citizenship then you may just have to accept that he has an NS obligation.

ozeurasian

Post by ozeurasian » Mon, 22 Sep 2014 5:49 pm

Thank you for your response.

In reply, my son does have and is an Australian citizen since 2010.

No we do not have any HDB flat - only CPF.

In the recent email, although my son has been given en extension till end of Dec 2014 to remain outside Singapore, in October we have to complete his NS registration when they will send the NS notification by email shortly, i expect very shortly.

Once we complete the online registration for NS, we will need to provide supporting documents for his exit permit application and yes the BOND.

Is there any light at the end of this tunnel, please help! Really desperate!!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 22 Sep 2014 6:00 pm

Frankly, as they are already on to him, and have rejected further extensions, meaning he will also be without a valid exit permit, they will have flagged him and all his particulars with ICA so that even if he comes in on an Aus Passport, he's likely to be picked up if he doesn't come in to get sorted once and for all. (And that, I'm pretty sure, will mean doing his 21 months of NS). If he doesn't come in, he will forever be listed as a deserter/defaulter and there will be a flag against his particulars. Additionally, if there are ANY relatives left in Singapore, THEY will be harassed for several years at all hours of the day and night by CMPB.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 22 Sep 2014 7:07 pm

ozeurasian wrote:Thank you for your response.

In reply, my son does have and is an Australian citizen since 2010.

No we do not have any HDB flat - only CPF.

In the recent email, although my son has been given en extension till end of Dec 2014 to remain outside Singapore, in October we have to complete his NS registration when they will send the NS notification by email shortly, i expect very shortly.

Once we complete the online registration for NS, we will need to provide supporting documents for his exit permit application and yes the BOND.

Is there any light at the end of this tunnel, please help! Really desperate!!
1. To avoid posting a bond see if you can get an exit permit for 1 year and 364 days... that is MS standard advice. Keep that up and then try to renounce at 21.

2. It seems that none of the things that MS suggests have been done. Have you read through http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/ftopic61423.html this? Read this; http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/ftopic61423-120.html
It may not be too late to follow some of this advice particularly as your son has only benefited by having a Singapore PP (yes, it's still a benefit).

3. When did the kid become an Aussie? Before 11? If so... the anecodatal advice is that you might have a chance. I personally don't think you have an answer though until the kid turns 21 and if his renunciation is accepted. EVEN at that point he may still be facing Mindef/CMPB issues (separate agency to ICA with separate rules).

Personally I don't think MS will be back (much). He has had some issues posting sensitive info on this forum and hasn't felt loved for some reason.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 23 Sep 2014 8:47 am

Could be worse - kid could be going back to South Korea...

http://www.news.com.au/world/asia/south ... 7067474676