Singapore Expats

Stuck between a rock and a hard place

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
caprica898

Post by caprica898 » Sat, 20 Sep 2014 3:35 pm

Hi, I'm a regular on this forum. To avoid being identified, I registered this new account.

To seek a new life to escape the dull and claustrophobic Spore, I declined a very good job offer with an investment bank here, quit my current job and went to Oz.

After 2 excruciating months of job hunting, I landed two offers there, one contract and one permanent. I chose the contract job (a much better daily rate and the employer has a better brand name) and went back to Spore to settle things. How stupid I am. The employer is now showing signs of reneging the offer. I was about to fly to Oz tomorrow to start the job on Monday. Now they told me to wait until further notice. I already signed the contract with them.

Now I'm not sure if I even want to go back to Oz to wait for this bs job. High cost of living, being away from loved ones really took a toll on me. But staying in Spore is not very good either. I've been out of work for 3 months. I wonder how employers here would think of that.

I need some advice badly. Scold me anyway you want. I need it.

Thanks

Siv
Regular
Regular

Post by Siv » Sat, 20 Sep 2014 3:55 pm

caprica898 wrote:Hi, I'm a regular on this forum. To avoid being identified, I registered this new account.

To seek a new life to escape the dull and claustrophobic Singapore, I declined a very good job offer with an investment bank here, quit my current job and went to Oz.

After 2 excruciating months of job hunting, I landed two offers there, one contract and one permanent. I chose the contract job (a much better daily rate and the employer has a better brand name) and went back to Singapore to settle things. How stupid I am. The employer is now showing signs of reneging the offer. I was about to fly to Oz tomorrow to start the job on Monday. Now they told me to wait until further notice. I already signed the contract with them.

Now I'm not sure if I even want to go back to Oz to wait for this bs job. High cost of living, being away from loved ones really took a toll on me. But staying in Singapore is not very good either. I've been out of work for 3 months. I wonder how employers here would think of that.

I need some advice badly. Scold me anyway you want. I need it.

Thanks
So which one do you prefer ? It seems you are torn between two countries, strongly favoring neither.

And....no offense, but didn't you think about those Oz factors BEFORE you even went there and applied for the job ?

Where is your original home country, if you dont' mind me asking....where the loved ones are ?

There may come a time in one's life where they reach the point of wanting to be near loved ones, as opposed to chasing the dream (career, $$$, etc)

Maybe you've reached that point ?

Rgds,
Siv

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sat, 20 Sep 2014 11:07 pm

Three months is not that long. Just tell employers that you took a long holiday and adventure down in OZ.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Sat, 20 Sep 2014 11:24 pm

If you got 2 offers in Australia in such a short time, that is awesome. People on average take 3 months to find a job in Australia, some take 6 months. My suggestion is go to Australia as the reasons why you decided to go there are still valid. Don't let one jerk of an employer spoil your OZ dreams.

I am assuming you are an OZ PR? If yes, considering the visa fees and effort on paper work you put in, you must really give yourself a chance in OZ land.

I just read this article:

http://www.lifehack.org/articles/lifest ... ef=fbp&n=1

4 out of 10 are OZ cities in that list, not for no reason.

I am also assuming you might be a Singapore PR at best but not a Singaporean, no reason why you shouldn't give yourself another chance for OZ land. I also have this strong feeling that you are an Indian :)

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Sun, 21 Sep 2014 12:18 am

zzm9980 wrote:Three months is not that long. Just tell employers that you took a long holiday and adventure down in OZ.
I think OZ employers are more forgiving at employment gaps than Singapore employers. OZ market is mature contract jobs market and its normal for people to be unemployed for months in between contracts. In OPs case its even more valid because he just moved there and searching for jobs.

If he has a Singapore PR, things are slightly better for him in Singapore compared to EP holders given the FCF etc, but if he is an EP holder, he would be crazy to think about Singapore any further.

caprica898

Post by caprica898 » Sun, 21 Sep 2014 3:46 am

Thanks for all the advice. I definitely did research about all the pros & cons before going to Oz.
I was biased to go anyway. Oz drier and cooler weather did wonders for my health. I just feel healthier. However, I think that fact clouded my judgement.
2 months being unemployed (and away from my family) feels like an eternity to me.
I kinda miss my previous life.
Thanks Wd40 for the encouragement. Now that this employer is acting like a jerk, I think my 2-month job hunt might just get longer and longer.
Whether I'm PR or Indian, please PM.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sun, 21 Sep 2014 6:00 am

caprica898 wrote:Thanks for all the advice. I definitely did research about all the pros & cons before going to Oz.
I was biased to go anyway. Oz drier and cooler weather did wonders for my health. I just feel healthier. However, I think that fact clouded my judgement.
2 months being unemployed (and away from my family) feels like an eternity to me.
Thanks Wd40 for the encouragement. Now that this employer is acting like a jerk, I think my 2-month job hunt might just get longer and longer.
No one will help you via PM. This is a public and free forum, the intention being to share knowledge with everyone who may be in similar situations.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 21 Sep 2014 7:34 am

You have a signed contract from them. So you're on the payroll then?

Siv
Regular
Regular

Post by Siv » Sun, 21 Sep 2014 9:21 am

caprica898 wrote:.
Hmmm....what a strange response....

Anyway...

JR8 has a good point. When you said you LANDED an offer, does that mean you have been given a signed contract of offer ? I know sometimes, although not often, companies may pull back an offer....but for an Oz co to do so, there surely had to be a reason given.

Mate, its a public forum. You asked for advice, so it would help if you were more forthcoming with all the details, so we don't have to assume stuff.

Expecting all of us here to read your mind, or confirm what you have perhaps already decided, just isn't how this works.

Siv

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Sun, 21 Sep 2014 10:27 am

caprica898 wrote:Thanks for all the advice. I definitely did research about all the pros & cons before going to Oz.
Dude, don't look so short term. What is 2 months, when you compare your entire life and career. It could be now or never. You don't want to look back in the future and regret your decision. Unless you have serious cash flow issues.

But then do you have any job lined up in Singapore? It could easily take 2 months here as well.

I had an Indian friend in pretty much similar situation to you. He had a job in Singapore and he was a PR and had a family too. He got fed up because his job was stagnant here, his wife didn't get PR so he wasn't able to buy a HDB. He finally quit his job and gave up his PR and went to US on his business visa. He found some job there but something got screwed up and then he had to return back to India. He was unemployed for few months, but then he got a job offer in the UK on a work permit and now they are well settled in the UK. He had a great spirit, which is how he tooks the downs in his life in his stride. All this while when he was in US and then when he went to UK he had sent his family to India and I am pretty sure this is what you have done as well and which is why you are missing them. You just need to be stronger and tell them as well to become stronger.

My advise is once you decide on something, you should go ahead with it and not accept failure so soon. Australia, UK, US are all a step up from Singapore, unless you are here on an expat package.Wish you good luck man.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 22 Sep 2014 11:33 am

There will be more work in Oz. Don't give up just yet. Next time remember a contract job is just that - contracted... it's not as secure as a salaried job.

Addadude
Reporter
Reporter

Re: Stuck between a rock and a hard place

Post by Addadude » Mon, 22 Sep 2014 2:33 pm

caprica898 wrote:Now I'm not sure if I even want to go back to Oz to wait for this bs job. High cost of living, being away from loved ones really took a toll on me.
If you were to ask me, I would say you've already answered your own question. If you were homesick after just 2 months away from this little slice of tropical garden city paradise, then it doesn't bode well for a long trem future abroad.

No big deal. At least you tried and have some idea of how you'd feel living elsewehere.

And I don't see why a 2 or 3 month 'career break' will have any impact on your employment prospects here.
"Both politicians and nappies need to be changed regularly, and for the same reasons."

caprica898

Post by caprica898 » Wed, 24 Sep 2014 4:56 am

I decided to give it a try in Aus. Hopefully things will get better. Thanks for all the advice.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Wed, 24 Sep 2014 9:40 am

Good choice! All the best!