Singapore Expats Forum

Dryer vent in the red dot?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.

Sponsored by:
Image
AE Logistics - Movers & Storage

User avatar
Tanuki
Regular
Regular
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri, 19 Jul 2013

Dryer vent in the red dot?

Postby Tanuki » Sat, 20 Sep 2014 10:41 am

Our condo unit has a dryer in it, but it does not have the vent hose going outside, so of course the laundry area gets pretty toasty. Does anyone know where there might be a shop to buy the venting kit? I found one real cheap in the states but its diameter is a couple cm shy of what we need. We've looked in some local DIY shops around Tiong Bahru but haven't found anything yet.

Cheers

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Re: Dryer vent in the red dot?

Postby JR8 » Sat, 20 Sep 2014 11:04 am

Tanuki wrote:Our condo unit has a dryer in it, but it does not have the vent hose going outside, so of course the laundry area gets pretty toasty. Does anyone know where there might be a shop to buy the venting kit? I found one real cheap in the states but its diameter is a couple cm shy of what we need. We've looked in some local DIY shops around Tiong Bahru but haven't found anything yet.
Cheers


Have you confirmed that it can be externally vented? I.e. via the manufacturers handbook for that model. It might sound like a 1.01 question, but 'condenser' dryers are quite common. The water being either collected in a removable slide-out container, or commonly if it's a combined washer/dryer simply going down the drain-hose.

User avatar
Tanuki
Regular
Regular
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri, 19 Jul 2013

Re: Dryer vent in the red dot?

Postby Tanuki » Sat, 20 Sep 2014 11:35 am

JR8 wrote:
Tanuki wrote:Our condo unit has a dryer in it, but it does not have the vent hose going outside, so of course the laundry area gets pretty toasty. Does anyone know where there might be a shop to buy the venting kit? I found one real cheap in the states but its diameter is a couple cm shy of what we need. We've looked in some local DIY shops around Tiong Bahru but haven't found anything yet.
Cheers


Have you confirmed that it can be externally vented? I.e. via the manufacturers handbook for that model. It might sound like a 1.01 question, but 'condenser' dryers are quite common. The water being either collected in a removable slide-out container, or commonly if it's a combined washer/dryer simply going down the drain-hose.

Yes, it's got the connection opening in place on the back of the dryer itself. However at the moment it's using the one on front which just dumps hot wet air into the laundry room. And it's a dryer only. The washer is separate. I looked up the vent kit for this on the web but the email address in town was dead... Good points for clarification!

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34263
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 20 Sep 2014 11:38 am

All of my Whirlpools and now my 'current' Elba driers all had vent kits that could be installed to exit by 6" flexible hose up to a window (which I currently use) or exhausted via floor vents to the front of the machine. Makes for toasty toes if standing in front of it....

Most of the dryers here have optional kits available from the distributor for external flexible hose venting.

I use front loading washers & driers. Or is it dryers? :???:

GSM8
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 154
Joined: Sat, 14 Dec 2013
Location: Singapore

Postby GSM8 » Sat, 20 Sep 2014 11:45 am

I face a similar issue but just close the door to that area and let the dryer room get warm if it needs to. One issue buying things like this from US is they won't normally have metric dimensions required in Singapore. I had looked up earlier and found metric dimension dryer vent hoses on ebay (tip: use the .com site, not .com.sg as the former has a bigger selection - it also allows for lowest "price+shipping" search)

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Re: Dryer vent in the red dot?

Postby JR8 » Sat, 20 Sep 2014 11:51 am

Tanuki wrote:Yes, it's got the connection opening in place on the back of the dryer itself. However at the moment it's using the one on front which just dumps hot wet air into the laundry room. And it's a dryer only. The washer is separate. I looked up the vent kit for this on the web but the email address in town was dead... Good points for clarification!


It sounds like the manufacturer might have changed 'service agent'. Have you checked the former's website in this regard?

Even if not these kind of ducting kits seem to be pretty generic.

I've had a quick look at www.google.com.sg using the following sets of search terms. Quite a lot of stuff comes up. Have a look and see if it provides any leads...

'Clothes dryer vent hose'
Several how to pick, how to install and DIY, type hits

'buy Clothes dryer vent hose singapore'
People in various SGn fora asking a similar question to your own!

User avatar
Tanuki
Regular
Regular
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri, 19 Jul 2013

Postby Tanuki » Sat, 20 Sep 2014 11:57 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
I use front loading washers & driers. Or is it dryers? :???:


It depends. Could be dreyers and then it would be ice cream!! :P

Thanks all for the suggestions. We'll track it down some more and should be able to get it going.

To JR8: we looked at the manufacturer's info to see about this, but haven't linked up with the agent here. I've asked my RE agent on it to see what she can find for us.

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9164
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Sat, 20 Sep 2014 6:34 pm

I have a front load Bosh dryer with the vent at the back and drying was never a problem because all the places we've been living so far had the laundry area open to outside. Maybe this is the reason the venting kit is here difficult to find?

curiousgeorge
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 549
Joined: Thu, 03 Jan 2008
Location: Singapore

Postby curiousgeorge » Sat, 20 Sep 2014 9:52 pm

x9200 wrote: Maybe this is the reason the venting kit is here difficult to find?


Or because most people dry clothes on poles stuck out of the window?

Tip for the OP - if the USA doesn't sell what you are looking for, try google/ebay in a sensible metric country, like Australia or the UK. I hear they have internet and stuff too now.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Sat, 20 Sep 2014 10:08 pm

We just use a fold up/down drying rack. Cost $10, with doors and windows open everything air-dries just fine.

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6837
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Sat, 20 Sep 2014 11:11 pm

JR8 wrote:We just use a fold up/down drying rack. Cost $10, with doors and windows open everything air-dries just fine.


Too humid in Singapore. Things don't dry nicely and sometimes have funky smells. I can understand OP's preference for the dryer.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Sun, 21 Sep 2014 12:18 am

zzm9980 wrote:
JR8 wrote:We just use a fold up/down drying rack. Cost $10, with doors and windows open everything air-dries just fine.


Too humid in Singapore. Things don't dry nicely and sometimes have funky smells. I can understand OP's preference for the dryer.


Well, works for us. The only issue (one time) was 10 bath towels left out on adjacent rails of the rack for a very stagnant (airflow wise) weekend.

Otherwise the strategy seems to work fine for us...

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9164
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Sun, 21 Sep 2014 8:43 am

Having a dryer is just extremely convenient plus what zzm said. On top of it the situation gets dramatically worse if you have young children. We have one and I just can not imagine to hang the stuff to dry on the rack provided. This costs time and space. A dryer let you dump the full load of washing machine and get everything dried typically within 60-90 min.
Also to disbelief and detests to my wife I use the dryer from time to time to iron cloths. Dump a single t-shirt or two of them to a dryer and within 10 min they come out with almost ironed like (or even better) appearance.

The dryers that are a separate appliance are much more effective (we had both types) than the all in one combos.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Sun, 21 Sep 2014 8:55 am

x9200 wrote:Having a dryer is just extremely convenient


.... for some people. (But not enough for us to use the one we have).


x9200 wrote:The dryers that are a separate appliance are much more effective (we had both types) than the all in one combos.


+1 agree with that. I had a w/d, and only quite some time later separates, and the difference it made was striking and substantial.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34263
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 21 Sep 2014 8:56 am

I agree with x9200 fully on this one. Yes, air dried smell better if you are in the countryside without petrochemical hydrocarbon pollution and haze, but Jeans and polo shirts come out of the drier without creases OR my biggest bane in Singapore, STIFFNESS. Even using things like Soflan doesn't solve the stiff/coarse jeans feeling (same in skivvies as well) the tumble drying takes care of that for you and actually removes the need to iron jean or polo shirts completely. In fact, it's a rare day when my wife irons anything of mine at all anymore. Yeah, bit higher utility bill, but easier on the crotch! LOL


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Staying, Living in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests