Singapore Expats Forum

Xi Jinping Implores Chinese Tourists to Behave Themselves

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
the lynx
Governor
Governor

Xi Jinping Implores Chinese Tourists to Behave Themselves

Postby the lynx » Thu, 18 Sep 2014 1:44 pm

http://blogs.wsj.com/chinarealtime/2014/09/17/xi-jinping-implores-chinese-tourists-to-stop-eating-so-many-instant-noodles-while-overseas/?mod=WSJBlog

[quote]On Tuesday, while on a diplomatic trip to the tropical Maldives, Xi Jinping joked that his countrymen needed to improve their manners when representing their country overseas. “Let me just say here that we ought to teach our citizens to be a bit more civilized when they travel abroad,”

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Xi Jinping Implores Chinese Tourists to Behave Themselve

Postby ecureilx » Thu, 18 Sep 2014 3:36 pm

[quote="the lynx"]http://blogs.wsj.com/chinarealtime/2014/09/17/xi-jinping-implores-chinese-tourists-to-stop-eating-so-many-instant-noodles-while-overseas/?mod=WSJBlog

[quote]On Tuesday, while on a diplomatic trip to the tropical Maldives, Xi Jinping joked that his countrymen needed to improve their manners when representing their country overseas. “Let me just say here that we ought to teach our citizens to be a bit more civilized when they travel abroad,”

the lynx
Governor
Governor

Postby the lynx » Thu, 18 Sep 2014 4:59 pm

I wonder if Narendra Modi would say something for his Indian brethren, knowing how Indian travellers are notorious for demanding Indian vegetarian food everywhere they travel.

Also the same for Middle Eastern travellers, knowing how they like to impose their values on locals of the countries they visit. For example, having local Italians fined for wearing bikinis in their presence on Italian beach.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Postby ecureilx » Thu, 18 Sep 2014 5:07 pm

the lynx wrote:I wonder if Narendra Modi would say something for his Indian brethren, knowing how Indian travellers are notorious for demanding Indian vegetarian food everywhere they travel.

Also the same for Middle Eastern travellers, knowing how they like to impose their values on locals of the countries they visit. For example, having local Italians fined for wearing bikinis in their presence on Italian beach.

as for Arabs, well, they own a lot of 'distressed' properties in Europe .... :D :D

Wd40
Director
Director

Postby Wd40 » Thu, 18 Sep 2014 5:25 pm

the lynx wrote:I wonder if Narendra Modi would say something for his Indian brethren, knowing how Indian travellers are notorious for demanding Indian vegetarian food everywhere they travel.

Narendra Modi has bigger problems on his plate. He has to get his economy up an running 1st :) China is up there already.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Postby ecureilx » Thu, 18 Sep 2014 7:21 pm

Wd40 wrote:Narendra Modi has bigger problems on his plate. He has to get his economy up an running 1st :) China is up there already.

precisely

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Postby zzm9980 » Thu, 18 Sep 2014 11:36 pm

Interesting article too:

http://blogs.wsj.com/indiarealtime/2014 ... -backward/

I'd say they nailed it. heh.

Chinese Views of India: Culturally Rich but Backward

[quote]Mr. Zhang said the number of people in India was overwhelming. Even though China’s population is bigger, “India seems a lot more crowded,”

the lynx
Governor
Governor

Postby the lynx » Fri, 19 Sep 2014 8:41 am

zzm9980 wrote:Interesting article too:

http://blogs.wsj.com/indiarealtime/2014 ... -backward/

I'd say they nailed it. heh.

Chinese Views of India: Culturally Rich but Backward

[quote]Mr. Zhang said the number of people in India was overwhelming. Even though China’s population is bigger, “India seems a lot more crowded,”

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Postby zzm9980 » Fri, 19 Sep 2014 8:53 am

I've been to both extensively. India much more so, especially the countryside. China has third-world in it here and there, but India is pure chaos. India's T1 cities (Delhi, Chennai, Hyderabad, B'lore - I haven't been to Mumbai) are more like Jakartas or Hanois, nothing like China's T1 or T2 cities even. They wouldn't even touch KL or Bangkok.

I never visited China 20 years ago, but I'd agree with the quote that said India is like China was 20 years ago.

Wd40
Director
Director

Postby Wd40 » Fri, 19 Sep 2014 9:30 am

zzm9980 wrote:I've been to both extensively. India much more so, especially the countryside. China has third-world in it here and there, but India is pure chaos. India's T1 cities (Delhi, Chennai, Hyderabad, B'lore - I haven't been to Mumbai) are more like Jakartas or Hanois, nothing like China's T1 or T2 cities even. They wouldn't even touch KL or Bangkok.

I never visited China 20 years ago, but I'd agree with the quote that said India is like China was 20 years ago.

Yes, India is heavily under invested in infrastructure. It could have become a big manufacturing hub just like China if we got our infrastructure in place.

If there is anything positive about India, it is its services boom. The fact that ZZM had to visit India is testimony to its services boom :wink:

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Postby rajagainstthemachine » Fri, 19 Sep 2014 9:51 am

zzm9980 wrote:I've been to both extensively. India much more so, especially the countryside. China has third-world in it here and there, but India is pure chaos. India's T1 cities (Delhi, Chennai, Hyderabad, B'lore - I haven't been to Mumbai) are more like Jakartas or Hanois, nothing like China's T1 or T2 cities even. They wouldn't even touch KL or Bangkok.

what year did you visit India?
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Postby zzm9980 » Fri, 19 Sep 2014 11:46 am

rajagainstthemachine wrote:

Multiple times a year between 2009 through 2013.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Postby zzm9980 » Fri, 19 Sep 2014 11:50 am

Wd40 wrote:Yes, India is heavily under invested in infrastructure. It could have become a big manufacturing hub just like China if we got our infrastructure in place.

If there is anything positive about India, it is its services boom. The fact that ZZM had to visit India is testimony to its services boom :wink:

Very true on both counts. :D

India seems to me to be the epitome of a dysfunctional government. With good organization, there could be a good infrastructure. A perfect example is CCD. We drove all over the country side to go to some tiger reserve and random temples (there must be 100000 temples that are either the biggest, first, or most famous of *something*) and there were CCDs all over the place, even in the middle of no where where one coffee would be more than some of the local wages for a week. Let the guy who built CCD take over the Indian government's infrastructure and you'd have a modern country in five years. Instead, you have chaotic political fighting.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Postby rajagainstthemachine » Fri, 19 Sep 2014 12:18 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
rajagainstthemachine wrote:

Multiple times a year between 2009 through 2013.

I visited India after a year and a half in Singapore, I experienced a reverse cultural shock, stayed indoors for two days straight.
took me a while to drive again, didn't take me more than 10 minutes in the car to flip the bird at someone.
restaurant service was great most of the time and the food tasted much much better than Singapore.
and to add to your latest post, If the Indian govt could only maintain a decent infrastructure, things could have been so much different.
we take 2 steps forward and 1.5 steps back.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late