Singapore Expats

Lost Reservoir Just Found!!

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
uscate
Chatter
Chatter

Lost Reservoir Just Found!!

Post by uscate » Thu, 18 Sep 2014 6:54 am

I'm just amazed that on such a small island someone can "lose" a reservoir! Especially one that is basically right at the Harborfront MRT (or at least close to)….

http://www.todayonline.com/singapore/nh ... ber?page=1

curiousgeorge
Reporter
Reporter

Post by curiousgeorge » Thu, 18 Sep 2014 9:03 am

Damn, that is where I keep my skeletons

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 18 Sep 2014 9:38 am

If I'd been fined by the NEA 'mosquito police' for having a drip-tray under a potted plant I'd probably be feeling pretty sore about this.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Lost Reservoir Just Found!!

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 18 Sep 2014 10:08 am

uscate wrote:I'm just amazed that on such a small island someone can "lose" a reservoir! Especially one that is basically right at the Harborfront MRT (or at least close to)….

http://www.todayonline.com/singapore/nh ... ber?page=1
that area is the bit of forest left, the area from Kent Ridge to Alexandra, and the few black and white houses

anyway, here's the news

it's not like they lost the like of Mac Ritchie Reservoir, the lost and found is the size of a swimming pool or so I understand

anyway, when there is no news, any news is NEWS!!

uscate
Chatter
Chatter

Post by uscate » Thu, 18 Sep 2014 10:31 am

Yes, and it seems to be buried in some overgrown area….but the fact that it is only 400 meters from the road, that this "reservoir" has been mapped before, and most obviously that this is SUCH A SMALL FREAKIN' ISLAND!!! just makes me roll my eyes a bit…. :roll:

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 18 Sep 2014 10:50 am

uscate wrote:Yes, and it seems to be buried in some overgrown area….but the fact that it is only 400 meters from the road, that this "reservoir" has been mapped before, and most obviously that this is SUCH A SMALL FREAKIN' ISLAND!!! just makes me roll my eyes a bit…. :roll:
ok, this gives a better idea of the 'reservoir', supposedly the size of three badminton courts ..

http://tinyurl.com/n4z646t

"The reservoir was built sometime in 1905 and we know that because of the colonial bricks that we found on the reservoir wall. But once we advanced to another part of the reservoir, we found that the bricks were from a different time period. So it showed this reservoir was in constant use for a long period of time," he said. “It was forgotten because it was a private reservoir and through time, we think that it changed owners and subsequently abandoned as there was no use for it as a reservoir or a swimming pool.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Thu, 18 Sep 2014 11:52 am

Singapore sends up an experimental satellite into space and nobody bats an eyelid, someone finds an old reservoir and everyone loses their mind.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 18 Sep 2014 12:04 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:Singapore sends up an experimental satellite into space and nobody bats an eyelid, someone finds an old reservoir and everyone loses their mind.

LOL!!!! :lol: :lol:

That's so flippin' true! :lol:

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 18 Sep 2014 12:42 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:Singapore sends up an experimental satellite into space and nobody bats an eyelid, someone finds an old reservoir and everyone loses their mind.
you have to be here for a while, on a slow news day, even a man spitting is top news, and on another day, well, a satellite being sent to space is a small news :twisted: :twisted:

as I told before, when I arrived here, a man fell into the Kallang River, and that was news for a couple of weeks, and in the process, the news was focusing on how Civil Defence prepares for water rescues, what went wrong .. etc. etc

Same when they were doing crow culling

Oh, Kallang River was much much shallow, before they built the Marina Barrage !!!!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 18 Sep 2014 1:21 pm

Yeah, and you could almost walk across it without using the bridge due to the garbage in the river. Of course that was before they started all the cleanup and removal of the bumboats, pig farms, duck farms, backyard workshops and nightsoil collectors from 1977 to 1987 in the central catchment area.

Some interesting photography in this document.

http://www.pub.gov.sg/general/Documents/Cleanriver2.pdf
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Thu, 18 Sep 2014 4:32 pm

I believe I have been at this little pond approx. 15 years ago.
There are (or rather, were?) a number of colonial bungalows on that slope, some abandoned and some apparently inhabitated by bigwigs, and lots of overgrown, "jungle" woodland. I like to explore such areas off the beaten track and have been in the area a few times.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 18 Sep 2014 4:57 pm

beppi wrote:I believe I have been at this little pond approx. 15 years ago.
There are (or rather, were?) a number of colonial bungalows on that slope, some abandoned and some apparently inhabitated by bigwigs, and lots of overgrown, "jungle" woodland. I like to explore such areas off the beaten track and have been in the area a few times.
Mothership.sg sort of summed it up :D

But even the term “forgotten”

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Thu, 18 Sep 2014 4:58 pm

And I suspect that most locals don't do the exploring thing. Might accidently end up on government land. In days gone by that was probably quite an offense. Might go some way to explaining why, on such a small island, hidden gems still exist.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 18 Sep 2014 6:17 pm

The guy I worked for here in the 90s (a young Aussie guy) lived in a B+W up there on the hillside. He rented it off the Port Authority for peanuts maybe $1.5-$2k back then. But the leases don't seem to be advertised, he 'took it over' from an expat he knew who was leaving.

It's garden backed right on to 'jungle'. In fact he had his wedding in that garden which was a nice/different venue. They kept having their cat/new cat/next new cat eaten by cobras. I also recall him phoning in to me one morning 'JR8, going to be a bit late this morning, we have a cobra in the kitchen'.

The dirt road up the hill to the house was a favoured parking up spot after dark for local young couples to drive to for a make-out session. When they held dinner parties there, after dinner we'd amble out for a stroll past the line of cars with steamed up windows.... > knock knock knock on the window!! 'Oi you lot' 'kin clear off will you!!!' Followed by a blast from his mini solar-system a 100 gerzillion candle-power lantern.... ah, fun times... Very ulu ulu feeling area though...

--- interesting link SMS, and lol! at Ecu, haha how true

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 18 Sep 2014 7:35 pm

JR8 wrote:....
along that road, I had to attend to a reseller of ours, A british guy, who had two Rhodesian Ridgebacks, pretty large dogs, didn't know they were so ferocious until the chap was in the news for his dogs having bitten a neighbor ..

Obedient dogs they were, they were like kitten when the guy was around, and the guy owned a Triumph, not sure if he drove it around though

and the roads around there all had English names, except Hyderabad Road, I think ...