Singapore Expats Forum

Keppel Oktoberfest worth it?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Sporkin
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 181
Joined: Fri, 20 Jun 2014

Keppel Oktoberfest worth it?

Postby Sporkin » Wed, 17 Sep 2014 2:40 pm

Worth shelling out the entrance fees, or is it the same just going to some Paulaner or Broitzeit? I remember a free tent event at CQ a few years back, festive atmosphere with band sans the cover charge. Pretty fun.

User avatar
PNGMK
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5764
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013
Location: Sinkapore

Re: Keppel Oktoberfest worth it?

Postby PNGMK » Wed, 17 Sep 2014 3:37 pm

Sporkin wrote:Worth shelling out the entrance fees, or is it the same just going to some Paulaner or Broitzeit? I remember a free tent event at CQ a few years back, festive atmosphere with band sans the cover charge. Pretty fun.


October is Octsober for me (no alcohol) so I have no opinion.

Sporkin
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 181
Joined: Fri, 20 Jun 2014

Re: Keppel Oktoberfest worth it?

Postby Sporkin » Thu, 18 Sep 2014 10:32 am

October in particular or just happened to be detoxing?

Hmm so no one else thinks its a good idea to head down there? Guess i'll just head down to Paulaner for a few.

PNGMK wrote:
Sporkin wrote:Worth shelling out the entrance fees, or is it the same just going to some Paulaner or Broitzeit? I remember a free tent event at CQ a few years back, festive atmosphere with band sans the cover charge. Pretty fun.


October is Octsober for me (no alcohol) so I have no opinion.

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5272
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Re: Keppel Oktoberfest worth it?

Postby the lynx » Thu, 18 Sep 2014 10:51 am

Sporkin wrote:October in particular or just happened to be detoxing?

Hmm so no one else thinks its a good idea to head down there? Guess i'll just head down to Paulaner for a few.

PNGMK wrote:
Sporkin wrote:Worth shelling out the entrance fees, or is it the same just going to some Paulaner or Broitzeit? I remember a free tent event at CQ a few years back, festive atmosphere with band sans the cover charge. Pretty fun.


October is Octsober for me (no alcohol) so I have no opinion.


In general, Oktoberfest in Singapore is almost exclusive event, held by country clubs mostly. If you want the pork knuckles, bratwurst, German bands, dirndls, German beers other than the standard Paulaner, Erdinger etc, yes the tickets to such events is always above SGD75 (excluding free flow of beer). Purchase of beer is almost always by coupon.

Robertson Quay and Wave House Sentosa would be the 'cheaper' options but RQ's was already last weekend.

User avatar
ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1665
Joined: Wed, 29 Nov 2006
Location: A More Lucky Spot

Postby ScoobyDoes » Thu, 18 Sep 2014 11:22 am

You already missed the "proper" Oktoberfest at the Swiss Club last week so anything else is already a bit second rate.

Don't treat it like Oktoberfest, just a party with different food.

Even my local pub in Bkt Timah is hosting an Oktoberfest next week with German Sausage etc. so you'll find quite a few all over the place.
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

Sporkin
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 181
Joined: Fri, 20 Jun 2014

Re: Keppel Oktoberfest worth it?

Postby Sporkin » Thu, 18 Sep 2014 1:33 pm

Thanks for the info on what to expect. Now I have a clearer picture its probably not one of those "must go" events, if my chums are going I'll just tag along.

the lynx wrote:
Sporkin wrote:October in particular or just happened to be detoxing?

Hmm so no one else thinks its a good idea to head down there? Guess i'll just head down to Paulaner for a few.

PNGMK wrote:
Sporkin wrote:Worth shelling out the entrance fees, or is it the same just going to some Paulaner or Broitzeit? I remember a free tent event at CQ a few years back, festive atmosphere with band sans the cover charge. Pretty fun.


October is Octsober for me (no alcohol) so I have no opinion.


In general, Oktoberfest in Singapore is almost exclusive event, held by country clubs mostly. If you want the pork knuckles, bratwurst, German bands, dirndls, German beers other than the standard Paulaner, Erdinger etc, yes the tickets to such events is always above SGD75 (excluding free flow of beer). Purchase of beer is almost always by coupon.

Robertson Quay and Wave House Sentosa would be the 'cheaper' options but RQ's was already last weekend.

Sporkin
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 181
Joined: Fri, 20 Jun 2014

Postby Sporkin » Thu, 18 Sep 2014 1:37 pm

I was a little confused over the date of the Keppel event, I remember reading years ago that Oktoberfest starts the second half of Sept and lasts 2 weeks. I think Munich extended that to a full month figuring they could milk more tourist dollars.

I'm just looking for a place to drink and look silly :)

ScoobyDoes wrote:You already missed the "proper" Oktoberfest at the Swiss Club last week so anything else is already a bit second rate.

Don't treat it like Oktoberfest, just a party with different food.

Even my local pub in Bkt Timah is hosting an Oktoberfest next week with German Sausage etc. so you'll find quite a few all over the place.

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5272
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Postby the lynx » Thu, 18 Sep 2014 1:42 pm

Swiss Club's and Marina Keppel's Oktoberfest are among the "nicest" public ones. The rest are either not good or are held by country clubs as members-only event.

User avatar
ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1665
Joined: Wed, 29 Nov 2006
Location: A More Lucky Spot

Postby ScoobyDoes » Thu, 18 Sep 2014 2:43 pm

I was at the Swiss Club last week.......$70 well spent. <cough> plus drinks :(
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'



SIR Stirling Moss OBE

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Thu, 18 Sep 2014 4:21 pm

Without wishing to appear pedantic...
Wiki: <i>‘It is a 16-day festival running from late September to the first weekend in October’</i>
... so, despite the name Oktoberfest kicks off and falls mostly in September.

I went to the recent Beerfest here. I had high hopes, but left very disappointed. It was not about a celebration of beer (I had visions of it being like a farmers market of beer, where you bought the beer from the brewers themselves), it was patently clearly about making as much money as possible. High entry fees gave two freebies, which were the lousiest most cheap and nasty beers imaginable. There were some nice beers (the Schneider Weisse one you see pictured on the Oktoberfest www is one of my favs, an absolute gem, same same with Paulaner wheat-beer), but it was expensive, MORE expensive than in the shops, say $20-24 for a bottle of good beer. The food was atrocious quality and $$$, dreadful. The entertainment was a complete waste of time. The queues for everything were loooong. So you were left pondering quite what the point of it all was.

It wouldn’t surprise me hugely if these two beer events are arranged by the same organisers, and possibly will be set up similarly, this one with a bit of sour-kraut thrown in for ‘authenticity’.

An evening at Brotzeit is more authentic (IMO), and better value for money too...

Sporkin
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 181
Joined: Fri, 20 Jun 2014

Postby Sporkin » Mon, 22 Sep 2014 11:31 am

Yeah i went to the beerfest a few years running, the beers were pricey but I don't see the brews offered elsewhere so its a chance to try out something new that I've never tasted before, the admission price @$28 is still acceptable, the Oktoberfest tickets on the other hand is a wee bit pricey, and after a knuckle and some saurkraut there's hardly room for biers.

Well thanks all for your input, have a good one y'all.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests