Singapore Expats

Queries on Unpaid debts and leaving singapore permanently

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
Praba2014

Queries on Unpaid debts and leaving singapore permanently

Post by Praba2014 » Wed, 17 Sep 2014 1:46 pm

HI ,

I have a question which needs your earliest kind response.

I am leaving SG next month resigning from job due to many family constraints

I have the following debts

1. Education loan - 7.5 k ( will repay 6k which is the loan amount , rest 1.5 k interest not able to pay )

2. Credit card loan - 3.5 k - ( will repay 2k only )

3. Postpaid mobile connection (singtel and starhub) - left unpaid before 1year and was often getting notice letters but didnt respond back with change of address. reason for not paying is because of over charging by both telecom . not my fault. since they dont wish to accept the facts , i stop paying and using its connection for more than one year now

seeing my 3 cases above , if i repay the possible amount I could ( financially not strong ), will ICA hold me in airport when departure when intended to leave permenantly ???

I checked my own credit bureau report and its says ( CREDIT GRADE - CK ( meaning Insufficient credit activity )..

experience people pl advise . very short time . I am not running away . i intend to pay what the max amount i can.

Help me out guys ! thanks

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Queries on Unpaid debts and leaving singapore permanentl

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 17 Sep 2014 2:13 pm

Praba2014 wrote:HI ,

I have a question which needs your earliest kind response.

I am leaving SG next month resigning from job due to many family constraints

I have the following debts

1. Education loan - 7.5 k ( will repay 6k which is the loan amount , rest 1.5 k interest not able to pay )

2. Credit card loan - 3.5 k - ( will repay 2k only )

3. Postpaid mobile connection (singtel and starhub) - left unpaid before 1year and was often getting notice letters but didnt respond back with change of address. reason for not paying is because of over charging by both telecom . not my fault. since they dont wish to accept the facts , i stop paying and using its connection for more than one year now

seeing my 3 cases above , if i repay the possible amount I could ( financially not strong ), will ICA hold me in airport when departure when intended to leave permenantly ???

I checked my own credit bureau report and its says ( CREDIT GRADE - CK ( meaning Insufficient credit activity )..

experience people pl advise . very short time . I am not running away . i intend to pay what the max amount i can.

Help me out guys ! thanks
you are missing something

when you decided how much max you can pay, the correct word is you are running away !!

and for banks, they don't separate principal from interest

for them, you owe 7.5 K and if you don't pay 1.5 K, they see it as you failed to pay 1.5 K , not 1.5 of what

Have you left Singapore in the meantime ?

If any of the creditor pulls the plug, with the new Credit reporting system, you will have some fun leaving, or worse, ever coming back even on transit

Praba2014

Post by Praba2014 » Wed, 17 Sep 2014 2:23 pm

i dont wish to describe my personal and financial situations, its worse than u can imagine, but to be honest to what i can I repay.

friend , can you for sure tell me - now a days do I get caught at ICA ?

even for postpaid contract break ?

please advise . thx

Praba2014

Post by Praba2014 » Wed, 17 Sep 2014 2:29 pm

i would never come back to sg even for transit .

I have been in out of singapore very often while employed , using fast access Epass immigration system , never pass by any ICA officer .

Now since no job , i need to leave holding visit pass exit thru ICA officer .

please advise accordingly. thanks

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 17 Sep 2014 2:32 pm

Praba2014 wrote:i dont wish to describe my personal and financial situations, its worse than u can imagine, but to be honest to what i can I repay.

friend , can you for sure tell me - now a days do I get caught at ICA ?

even for postpaid contract break ?

please advise . thx
yes, and yes

you read the contract before you signed, so what makes you say they over charged you ? or unfair ?

if your bill was low, they will still file for Judicial action, and trust me, that's how a 1000 $ bill becomes 4000 or more and till it crosses 10,000 $ and then you can be sued for insolvency

the balance of the amount comes from every legal / lawyer's letter, they don't go cheap and the lawyers have no plan to waive it.

for your 5K, I wouldn't be surprised if that quickly crosses the threshold for bankruptcy

Oh, it is only a matter of time, and if any of the creditor has filed for claims, then you will be stopped when you leave.

Know enough who have been stopped for smaller amounts, as long as the creditors filed for claims promptly

your financial situation ? to be honest, I don't know who doesn't float in money, and if not most, atleast a lot of people I know have debts, and they don't run away

and worse than what ? no, I don't imagine, as I have seen people driven to near suicide vs your willing to pay a part atleast

step up, go and talk to the creditors, and stop their legal processing, before they pull the plug and add more charges

Praba2014

Post by Praba2014 » Wed, 17 Sep 2014 2:39 pm

i have arranged with bank for repay the rest of edu loan and credit loan amount over a period of time .

i am worried abt postpoaid contract break - I do receive many lawyer letters but cant afford to repay.

my only question is - will these contract break can lead to ICA stop because of these letters ?

thanks for your responses

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 17 Sep 2014 2:42 pm

Any bets as to where "home" is...... :roll:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Wed, 17 Sep 2014 2:43 pm

I don't know how far companies will go for such defaulted loans but there is such thing called international debt collectors, where companies here sell debts to debt collectors from debtors' home country, then they go after them.

International Debt Collectors

And I'd highly suggest not to make a run. By doing so, you're making lives of genuine foreign employees here a living hell because companies will then start to impose high deposits for mobile contracts and other amenities for foreign residents.

I think ICA have blacklist of the defaulters, waiting for them to show up, even for transit. I've personally been in situations where my plane would land in the airport and the cabin crew would instruct everyone to stay seated for the next one hour, police shows up and walked down the cabin, scoops one particular dude, and then leave with him in handcuffs. You do not want to be that guy.

Do not run leave country with debts behind

Consider declaring yourself bankrupt and arrange a repayment plan. Sure you get inconvenient time but you won't get international bad credit rating. There are more information about this option.

Praba2014

Post by Praba2014 » Wed, 17 Sep 2014 2:46 pm

as stated before repaying loans and credit card is not an issue. I am gonna repay what i could now and with offical bank documents for rest of payments over a period of time

my only worry is mobile phone contract break up , manily bec of the letters i received few months back in my old address and for last 3 months they stop sending it too..

will i be stopped for this alone ?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 17 Sep 2014 3:07 pm

Praba2014 wrote:as stated before repaying loans and credit card is not an issue. I am gonna repay what i could now and with offical bank documents for rest of payments over a period of time

my only worry is mobile phone contract break up , manily bec of the letters i received few months back in my old address and for last 3 months they stop sending it too..

will i be stopped for this alone ?
ok, you are not listening ..

every legal letter adds to the outstanding, and that in turn reaches a 'decent' amount for lawyers to go to courts

did they really stop sending it ? I doubt it.

I know the likes of telcos here, they keep sending letters for amounts as low as few hundred dollars, and if they stopped that means they have filed for some legal action

and if you manage to leave, just remember, years later if you ever have to come into Singapore, good luck !!!

SMS, wasn't too hard to guess, was it ?? :twisted:

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 17 Sep 2014 3:34 pm

Pay off completely what you can. Arrange a payment plan for the rest (including the telcos) in writing and stick to it.

What you'll find if you leave with this mess unarranged is that the debts snowball to the point where the bank/telco sells them off to a debt collector. These guys are good - they can hound people all over the world and in some cases even garnish their salaries or force them into bankruptcy. EVEN IN INDIA.

I doubt ICA will bother you unless you end up an undischarged bankrupt before your departure.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 17 Sep 2014 3:37 pm

Praba2014 wrote:i have arranged with bank for repay the rest of edu loan and credit loan amount over a period of time .

i am worried abt postpoaid contract break - I do receive many lawyer letters but cant afford to repay.

my only question is - will these contract break can lead to ICA stop because of these letters ?

thanks for your responses
Stick to those arrangements, come up with a similar plan for the telcos.

Praba2014

Post by Praba2014 » Wed, 17 Sep 2014 4:17 pm

Dear PNMGK .

what is undischarged bankcrupt?

pl explain . thanks

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 17 Sep 2014 5:34 pm

Praba2014 wrote:Dear PNMGK .

what is undischarged bankcrupt?

pl explain . thanks
someone declared bankrupt in court who has not completed the obligations the court set out (which may include repayment). It usually takes about 7 years to clear it. You cannot leave Singapore without permission from (who? - can't remember) while an undischarged bankrupt.

you don't want to be made bankrupt here - don't listen the others.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 17 Sep 2014 6:40 pm

PNGMK wrote: someone declared bankrupt in court who has not completed the obligations the court set out (which may include repayment). It usually takes about 7 years to clear it. You cannot leave Singapore without permission from (who? - can't remember) while an undischarged bankrupt.

you don't want to be made bankrupt here - don't listen the others.
every departure needs approval from Official Assignee and failure to seek approval = fine + maybe jail

as I too said, it is better to negotiate a repayment than disappear!!!!

once you are a bankrupt, ICA will stop you from leaving or hold you upon return